Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kazahied

Whered you go...?

4 posts in this topic

A long time ago I was fairly active on these forums and played TFC nonstop, then rl issues took me away for a while and now I'm back. But before my hiatus I remember Bioxx posting about pipes and hinting at some sort of mechanical thing for the near future. And I cant help but wonder what came of this? It seemed like a really awesome idea that apears to have gotten swept away

I've heard of pipes in some different situations here, too. The first was (if I remember correctly) when Bioxx mentioned them to be a thing in TFC2, before he left the TFC2 project due to too many problems with worldgen, then it was a lot of time ago. 

Second is when Bioxx showed us in IRC some screenshoots of his other mod and it had something that resembled pipes.

Third is the fact that pipes were commonly discussed in the forums some time ago.

Fourth, there was an addon for TFC about pipes and pressure, but it's no longer updated.

But I'm pretty sure that what you mean is about TFC2 before Bioxx dropped the project due to some problems. Yeah I remember too that there was going to be something more mechanical after the iron age, but since it was a long time ago that he talked about that, and now he started writing a TFC2 from scratch, the plans may be changed.

There were pipe placeholders until recently. I believe that Bioxx and dunk couldn't work out mechanics they were happy with (believe they were meant to go with the body temperature mechanic) and so they were dropped.

This is going to be a long post, so I'll go ahead and start it with a TL;DR.

TL;DR - What the developers say are not promises. Unless we show pictures of/announce a fully working system in-game, do not expect it to be in release.

One of the key concepts that needs to be understood is that the forums is primarily a place to discuss ideas. There is a very large difference between the idea of adding something to the game, and the implementation of that idea. When the developers see an idea that they like, often-times we will say that we like that idea. However, that is not a promise that the idea will make it into a release of TFC. There are many aspects of implementing an idea, including but not limited to: planning out how the idea will work, deciding how the idea should be balanced, deciding how that idea will affect the rest of the game, making sure the idea is part of a more complete system, coding the idea, fixing bugs in that code, rebalancing, etc. With all of those aspects, there is always the big question: Does all the effort of planning, balancing, coding, debugging, etc. justify the end result of release? In many cases, the answer to this question is "no" and the idea is not implemented even if a developer originally said that they liked it. Keep in mind that developing TFC is just a hobby, it is not a job. If we feel that there won't be enough to show for all of the effort put in, then we won't put in the effort.

So now what does all that have to do with pipes and a mechanical system? Dunk didn't complete all the initial steps of planning and deciding how to balance before he started coding and creating textures. In essence, he had a basic concept of "I want to add pipes!" and so he added them. He had ideas of grandeur of this whole huge mechanical system in which the pipes would be used, but not much more than that. Pipes were a placeholder item that were added with essentially no use, and no way to create them. They looked fancy, and that was about it. I assume that Dunk felt proud of how cool they looked, which is why he shared pictures of them. However, many people assumed that because pictures were posted, that meant they were part of a fully implemented system that would eventually make it into a release, but they were not. Eventually Dunk went back to do the initial steps of planning and decision for the rest of the system in which pipes would be used. At that point the decision was made that the effort did not justify the result, and the pipes were removed.