Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Zamolxes

My new journey [beginner]

6 posts in this topic

After seing Etho's gameplay, I really wanted to try out this mod, which I didn't knew existed! Is exactly the kind of experience that might rekindle my interess with Minecraft.

Anyway, after a several world spawns, some better than other, I settled on what appears to be a large island with plenty of trees.

From spawn point I traveled a bit on the coast and found lava, with sulfur ! Considering it a easy point of orientation, decided to go inland, in search of potable water. Soon I came to a large system of lakes, more like marshes, filled with trees: birches, oaks and sicomores.

Next few days I was busy evading mobs, chopping trees and built a log cabin right on the edge of a lake, with a very thin dirt entrance, to make it hard for the mobs. My 1st adventure trying to cook some pottery ended in distaster: I built the pit in the middle of my house, hoping a 5x5 empty area (house interior) will be sufficient. It was not, my house went up in flames. Thankfully I managed to save all the goods, the fruit bushes I planted around, plus half of the house: being next to water has its benefits.

With lots of clay vessels and large pots filling the inside of the house, I started to explore. Found imense quantities of squash, tomatoes, peppers and wheat. I replanted most of them, and I stumbled across cows. I decided I have to concentrate in getting a few to my base, before the winter hits.

On a flat piece of land next to my base, I dig 2 7x7 x 2 deep pits, in dirt, one for cows, one for pigs. First cattle drive netted me 3 bulls and cow. I killed one bull to get my first protein meat and manage to save the other 3. Next drive I managed to get just a cow, completing two couples. A lonely hog joined the cows in adjacent pit.

On the next trip out I went pretty far north, 500 blocks and discovered rice, 2 bears, 4-5 horses and 5+ cows. My thought process was: lets make the area safe for a cattle drive, so I went for a bear, naked, armed with 5 stone axes. Long story short, bear won. Luckily respawn is 100 ish blocks away from my base, and from there I got to death location pretty quickly so I managed to recover all my things (1 full stack of wheat I just collected).

In one of my travels found a wolf, which I gave some bones. He followed me home, bringing great hapiness at the thought I have a friend. I discovered with horror what a mistake that was. In the morning I went to feed the cows and the pig, to raise my familiarity and the dog imediatelly charged the pig. I ran away hoping the dog will follow me, which he did. Next morning, he charged a pregnant cow and killed it under my own eyes. I discovered with horror pig was gone, meaning he killed it the previous morning. Enough was enough so I went into the cow pit and slaughtered the dog. Winter is coming and food is more important than friendship!

Third cattle drive netted me 3 cows. With the 2 surviving bulls and 1 cow, I feel confident I'm secure through the winter, with some calves on the way.

In all my travels I kept en eye open for ores, sadly the area proves to be extremely poor. All I found was some galena deposits (uselss)  one of limonite (for later) and 2 bismuth ores on surface (marked for later). No copper and no sphalerite. Atm, I travel arround with 2 stacks of gravel and 2 of sand plus a gold pan in my pack, stopping at every chunk around the marshes, making a small river and panning for metals. Managed to collect 25 copper and 5 platinum. Was hoping to be able to start up with tier 2 mats, like bismuth-bronze, but it looks like it will not be so: I have to start with copper prospector pick and pick.

Area around the lakes is criss-crossed by huge ravines. One contains what it seems to be coal in the open and other one has some green rock, I hope bismuthite. Sadly is not possible to get to the bottom until I can craft some ladders, which means copper saw.

I spent month of August cooking salads and experimenting with cooking. I have lots of vegetables, elderberries and found a fruit tree, a plum. Luckily, got a sapling from it and planted it next to my house. Killed some deer and I plan to terminate several of the roaming cows to get more meat and further experiment, but I don't know what I'm doing really. I could really use some advice with it.

Another problem seems to be food preserving. I put everything in clay vessels (the small ones) and deposited them in a dark room, at the back of the cabin, hopefully they'll make it till the winter.

That's about it so far, is 3rd of september, I'm and adept in agriculture and I'm about ready to smelt some ore, mine during winter and hopefully build a better cabin. Let me know what you think and if you have any advice regarding cooking and food preserving.

Welcome to the Forums!

When it comes to early-game preservation, there's a key point to remember: meat on a live animal doesn't spoil. Only kill what you absolutely need to eat, as anything more will likely go to waste until you have other preservation methods available. The same goes for food, as long as you don't have the old age death config switched to true (false by default), food on fully grown crops won't decay until you actually harvest it.

As for cooking, just keep playing around with it until you get a higher skill level. Without the information that higher cooking skill levels provide, you really can't do much other than guess at what will make a tastier sandwich/salad.

The story is very good and I cant wait to hear what is in store for you in the spring :D

It is now November I hadn't have 1st show yet, but its getting colder.

With copper from gold panning I made a prospector pick, a saw and a pickaxe. On the subsequent travel, I managed to locate a large copper deposit (normal rich), but its pretty far from home, so it requires preparation to get there. On 1st trip I came back with some copper and had plenty of "fun" learning how to use support beams. Located more cows, more wheat and found some sugar cane, on the way back from copper mine.

It is now apparent my geographical situation is not very good. I'm in middle of a large chunk of land, with water on 3 sides, east, south and west, all of it out of chalk. Located platinum and lead for days, sadly there uselss, but nothing of the vital zinc. If I read wiki info properly, Zinc ore only spawns in metamorphic layer, and I have frakking sedimentary, for days. On the north side, about 1 day light trip I managed to find some andesite, that's where the copper mine is.

So while I'll be able to collect some coal and iron, for mid stage of the game, my starting is even harder because of lack tier 1-2 materials. Situation is however a little offset by a large abundant wildlife, I located at least 12+ wild cows and 6+ horses (some 4 bears lol) within 200 blocks of my base and a huge woodland. I haven't bothered to place a single sappling, I actually have to fight the trees agressively to make room for crops, animal pens and walking paths.

My immediate plan is to use the rest of the fall and winter to set up a farming field as far North as I can. Between the marshes where I am and the hills/mountains in the north there is NO fresh water. Just this broken terrain, small hills and an enormous number of ravines and crevasses, not to mentioned the open lava pits. Gunpowder enthusiasts would be in paradise with the amount of sulpfur that just lays out in the open. So in immediate future I'll be chopping trees, making fences and do irrigation work. Once that's done I will set some animal pens, followed by a huge cattle drive to the new base.

P.S. I did a 3 day exploring journey north, looking for a different biome to establis my new base perhaps at the edge of a new area. I got more and more depresed. For 1500 blocks, more of the same chalk biome, same hills, same type of deposits. It looks like there are no traces of sphalerite at all, nor gold, so no bismuth bronze, no black bronze, but plenty od useless platinum, jet and lead. I'm contemplating restarting on a new map, unless I can somehow jump over tier 2 materials and go from copper to iron.

It seems to me starting in a chalk biome is the most unadvantageous of all starts, ore wise.

If there is nothing around you in a radius of 2000 blocks, the best way to find new geological biomes is to travel by boat over an ocean (since you can travel day and night). Sometimes you must travel for over 5000 blocks to find something new. If you happen to find basalt, you are in luck. This is the most useful, ore-rich rock in the game.

I had to travel a really long distance to find kaolinite. It was so frustrating i added the enhanced portals mod and spawned in the building blocks. When i finally did find the rock type with kaolinite, i build a portal that would transport me back home instantaneously (the one at home was already pre-built). After that, i would always use to portal to go back to and from the far lands. 

A challenging seed can be lots of fun, but for the first few playthroughs it is nice to not be suffering too much as you learn the mod.  If you do happen to decide to start over I'd recommend the seed I had for my first 0.79 playthough. -5880701240973401740  In it you will find all the things you need, but you'll still have to work for it.

Best of luck and welcome.