Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devlin

Useless ores even IRL, and some usess for those that aren't

8 posts in this topic

Ok so i was looking things up online and i discovered that some of the ores that are in TFcraft are actualy completely useless even in real life and others bioxx may not know have so many uses

starting off is petrified wood, it is not wood it is just weak stone and minerals that are shapped like old dead and decayed trees, only feisable use is as jewlery and decoration, other then that it is used for studying and museum artifacts, if bioxx wants to add a use, medicine men and women used petrified wood in healing paralyzed limbs, not sure how but that is what they did.

Serpentine is up next, not only is it useless as anything but decoration, it is also a type of bedrock, or an ore that spawns in bedrock, it is not clear which, but it is also toxic for plants, and the only other real life use for it is as a sheild from neutrons in nuclear reactors, so unless you are going to facilitate us to the point of the nuclear age yeah thats a dead end, you could make it harvestable or craftable as a block for decoration, also says that the swiss use it as an ovenstone, so it might not be as useless as i have been saying but still pointless as far as i see.

not useless is kaolinite, but i thought i should say it is used for ceramics, porcelain, and clay, used as a food additive and in toothpaste, lightbulbs and even insectisides as well as medicine, quite a versitile ore

Gypum is actulay used as drywall or plaster, fertilizer or soil conditioner especialy for wheat, a replacement for wood in ancient construction, used in tofu as coagulant, cement component, used for homebrewing (the creation of making home made beers, wines, ext.) common ingredient in mead, medicine

as it turns out satinspar and selentite are actualy variations of gypsum, 2 of the 4 most common types

graphite is used in pencils, brake lines, steel making, bateries, and has a material/substance in it that is not only one of the strongest substances ever, but also so difficult to seperate from grahpite that it is impossible for comercial use even with todays realife technology

kimberlite is actualy a type of ingeous volcanic rock, most common source of diamonds in the world, so besides changing it from an ore to a stone you have given it its true purpose

jet is actualy a gemstone found in or, from what little i can tell from this wiki page, it is the other name for lignite, black or extremely dark brown gemstone, usualy has veins ofpyrite in it, pyrite is a brassy metalic color, but is actualy in the gems themselves not like native platnum being found as a vein inside a vein of another or, the gems themselves have small veins, so lignite actualy has 2 diffrent types or ores that can be found in it

microcline is basicly just a rock that has a fair amount of sodium and has multiple colors, a actualy an igneous crystal, it is found inside granite, used in industries to as a component to glass and ceramics, green version is called amozonite, type of gemstone, was used by amazonians as jewlery or something, it is the most well know type.

i like that you decided to keep redstone for now, and im fine with you using cinnabar but cinnabar is actualy the most common mercury ore, usualy appears as huge red crystal formations, looks similar to quartz

Cryolite is an aluminum ore, also used as a flux to help seperate oxide from aluminum ores, melts at 1012 degrees celcius, once melted it needs an electrical current to seperate the oxide from the aluminum, appears as a colorless crystal, suprisingly energy effeficient compared to heating and melting oxcide itself (pointless i know but it is a fun tibit)

sylvite is multicolored, colorless, white, yellow and red, it apears even a dark brownish copper tone color as well, yeah appears to be another gem type

borax is used in a variety of cleaning supplies, used in Buffers, chemicals of weak acids and bases, used to keep other chemicals stable while being used, mixed or while waiting for a reaction to take place that requires a constant ph level, borate is extracted from it to be used in the creation of complex ions

olivine, when in gem state it is called peridot, yeah another gem but wait there's more, contains iron and trace amounts of nickle, not used for this reason but could be used this way as another source of iron and nickle, found only in igneous rocks, apparently olivine and high pressure structural varients make up 50% of the earths upper mantle, olivine sand (finely ground olivine) is used to cast items in aluminum

lapis lazulie is only used in art, wether that art be jewlery, decration, painitns, or ornate itmes such as chests or boxes, it is only used and has only ever been used in art it is an artisan stone. could be the precourser to an artist profession

Wow... So i kept finding ores that are basicly uselles? So the most useless materials are the easiest to find? Hope bioxx makes a use for them, fast...

forgot what i was going to say but yeah, pretty much they need fake purposes to be useful in-game at all

I am fairly certain that all of these ores will have a use eventually. It is simply easier to add them in when earlier, rather than later.

the only reason they're added before hand would be so people wouldn't have to generate a new world or go away from already spawned chunks to get the new ores.

i know this game takes a wile to progess ages...but if what you state is true...it would be nice to know what is planed for these usless ores...

as right now perhaps a change in the direction for some or all of these makes sence.

this may sound odd but because of enchanting...i would like to see some magic in game..like thumcraft

Kimberlite could be a stone with a higher chance of spewing gems, but it could be an ore, you could refine in some form of tumbler giving a few or several bottom level gems of a few types, or a couple of moderate to high level gems.

I found kimerblite once. Breaking it had a VERY high chance of making diamonds.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0