Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
RobinOfLocksley

Firepit Construction

25 posts in this topic

Hello,

all Terra Firma Craft devices look totaly awsome, exept the firepit... So I put some thought into it. Here is my idea:

The mechanics of the firepit are perfect so they do not need changing, but the firepit construction seems lame in comparison. I really the constuction of the pit kiln, why not use this principle on the firepit?

To make the new firepit, you would need 8 stones and 4 sticks (maybe on paper, to make lighting easier, just like in the original one).You start by placing down the stones. Just sneak and rightclick a blog with the stones in hand.

Then you do the same with the sticks. Light it and your done. Pretty simple, huh :D

But when you let the fire burn out, you would have to build up the 4 sticks again.

Now because the model of the fire pit is also lame in comparison to the loom for example, I decided to make a suggestion for the model:

post-14979-0-90590600-1426879380_thumb.p

I hope you like it

Wow, that firepit looks really good. How did you do that? Anyway I like this idea, maybe you could also place straw in there too, because now paper no longer acts like tinder. Also replacing the sticks everytime the fire dies is a thing I didn't think about, but it's true, even with a tinder, you can't start a fire by putting big logs on it, you still neet sticks first to heat up the fire.

Thanks

Oh, I didn't know that paper does not act as a tinder. But straw is even an even better tinder, I had not thought about that. The only problem I see is balancing. Straw is on of the first resources you would encounter in Terra Firma Craft. This takes away the challenging ascpect of the fire lighting. An alternative would be sawdust, maybe a byproduct of making planks, since you need to have entered the metal-age to acquire a saw.

P.S.:I created the models using Techne.

TOTAL SUPPORT

By the way, after you lit the firepit, there should be some charcoal that lie on the surface. Doesn't that act as fuel too? Maybe, after generous amount of usage, the residual heat would last longer. 

Seems awesome. What about a firepit upgrade system? More stones/sticks make each log or fuel item burn longer?

The only problem I see is balancing. Straw is on of the first resources you would encounter in Terra Firma Craft. This takes away the challenging ascpect of the fire lighting. An alternative would be sawdust, maybe a byproduct of making planks, since you need to have entered the metal-age to acquire a saw.

Straw is not a balance issue. Fire is so essential to life and is not a difficult thing to make IRL. Dry grasses and such are some of the very best kinds of tinder and they are readily available almost anywhere. IRL you don't even need a knife to get tinder. Right now you need is 5 sticks for a fire. If you want it to be quick it takes 6 sticks and 2 stones of the same type to get the straw as well. Perhaps straw should be required to start a fire if you want to make it more difficult, but it does not bother me the way it is right now.

I do like the fire pit model though.

Definatly cool! Maybe You can have a spit roast or a rock pan thing to cook food on

But straw is even an even better tinder, I had not thought about that. The only problem I see is balancing. Straw is on of the first resources you would encounter in Terra Firma Craft. This takes away the challenging ascpect of the fire lighting.

Seeing how lighting a fire is basically making a firestarter(two sticks) then spamming it on whatever you want to light(possibly putting up some thatch to stop rain), I don't think letting straw be used as tinder will really take away the 'challenge' in lighting fires

TOTAL SUPPORT

By the way, after you lit the firepit, there should be some charcoal that lie on the surface. Doesn't that act as fuel too? Maybe, after generous amount of usage, the residual heat would last longer. 

Charcoal is created by burning wood in the absence of oxygen. In a campfire, the wood is exposed to oxygen so all you would be left with, after it burned out, is ashes.

But I really like your second idea, maybe the burned out texture could be kind of an ember texture and the actual burned out texture would be greyer. If the fire is burned out, depending on how long you have fired it, you would be left with ember for a shorter or longer periode of time. You could still cook on the camp fire and do everything as normal, until the ember cools down. If there is still ember left, your fire has the chance of autoigniting when adding sticks again.

Seems awesome. What about a firepit upgrade system? More stones/sticks make each log or fuel item burn longer?

If you placed the 8 stone and instead of placing the sticks you place stones on the next block the fire pit would turn into a 4x4 pit and you would need 16 stones and 8 sticks. This would be like a bornfire and you would have a more fuelgridboxes in the GUI.

Straw is not a balance issue. Fire is so essential to life and is not a difficult thing to make IRL. Dry grasses and such are some of the very best kinds of tinder and they are readily available almost anywhere. IRL you don't even need a knife to get tinder. Right now you need is 5 sticks for a fire. If you want it to be quick it takes 6 sticks and 2 stones of the same type to get the straw as well. Perhaps straw should be required to start a fire if you want to make it more difficult, but it does not bother me the way it is right now.

You are right, i did not think that throught, I do like the idea of tinder being required.

Definatly cool! Maybe You can have a spit roast or a rock pan thing to cook food on

The idea is good, what if cooking food is generally displayed from the out side? In the beginning maybe just by being stuck on a stick. Somewhat like this?

post-14979-0-70060100-1426926626.png

But I really like your second idea, maybe the burned out texture could be kind of an ember texture and the actual burned out texture would be greyer.

Yeah, maybe it could be grey with some black spots because not all the wood really burns completely.

As for the tinder, I think thatch is just fine. There's no need to make the firepit a bigger challenge, because it's a thing you need quickly during the first days, an you'll probably destroy it and rebuild it somewhere else, so as of now it's fine.

If you placed the 8 stone and instead of placing the sticks you place stones on the next block the fire pit would turn into a 4x4 pit and you would need 16 stones and 8 sticks. This would be like a bornfire and you would have a more fuelgridboxes in the GUI.

Great idea. Like the upgrade system in Don't Starve :D Though should there be a reprecussion to a bigger fire? Maybe more chance of fire spreading getting burned?

The idea is good, what if cooking food is generally displayed from the out side? In the beginning maybe just by being stuck on a stick. Somewhat like this?

What about the use of ceramic and large vessels to cook the food around the fire?

Charcoal is created by burning wood in the absence of oxygen. In a campfire, the wood is exposed to oxygen so all you would be left with, after it burned out, is ashes.

The center of a bonfire usually don't get that much oxygen... So... Wait, what if I make a firepit above a log pile? Wouldn't that be another way to make small amount of charcoal? Enough to heat your surroundings.

Great idea. Like the upgrade system in Don't Starve :D Though should there be a reprecussion to a bigger fire? Maybe more chance of fire spreading getting burned?

Maybe getting burned when standing on top of it? It's fire.

This in not the first model I see. It's nice, i support the idea, but Bioxx said it will not happen.

This in not the first model I see. It's nice, i support the idea, but Bioxx said it will not happen.

Thank you, but do you have a link to the topic maybe?

After reading the reasons why this won't be implemented, I don't think Bioxx will change his mind and I honestly agree with this, I already have some troubles with lag and more models wouldn't help at all.

After reading the reasons why this won't be implemented, I don't think Bioxx will change his mind and I honestly agree with this, I already have some troubles with lag and more models wouldn't help at all.

I agree.

Upon reading those two topics, I rethought my idea. So the model is not going to change. That means a player could still walk over the fire, without taking any damage at the moment, this needs to be changed.

But the model not beeing changed, does not mean my idea is totaly useless, you could still throw some stones down with the sticks to make a fire.Also the 2d model would seem fine if we think of it like an dakota fire hole. You dig one block down and place  the stones and sticks in, when you light the fire the block you dug will respawn with the fire on top.

This also solves an other problem. Many times, when I throw down sticks, I end up picking them up, before I have the chance to light it.

I agree.

Upon reading those two topics, I rethought my idea. So the model is not going to change. That means a player could still walk over the fire, without taking any damage at the moment, this needs to be changed.

But the model not beeing changed, does not mean my idea is totaly useless, you could still throw some stones down with the sticks to make a fire.Also the 2d model would seem fine if we think of it like an dakota fire hole. You dig one block down and place  the stones and sticks in, when you light the fire the block you dug will respawn with the fire on top.

This also solves an other problem. Many times, when I throw down sticks, I end up picking them up, before I have the chance to light it.

Maybe you can shif click sticks on the ground,

Why not just make an add-on called "Better fire pits" or something? You could implement all of the aspects you desire and people would have the option to choose between what they prefer.

Why not just make an add-on called "Better fire pits" or something? You could implement all of the aspects you desire and people would have the option to choose between what they prefer.

Please do. +1

If we found someone who is able to do this I would offer my help with some of the textures.

Unfortunatly I have just very basic knowledge in java and could not make the mod myself.

Regardless of issues with the model, I really like this idea for actually constructing the firepit. One of the biggest gameplay issues I had the first time I played was inconsistency in the way some structures are built -- "Right-click to place microblocks" is the mechanic used for pit kilns, forges, stacks of ingots, and even placing decorative single-planks; it's also similar to the way pots are placed on the ground or tools are placed on a rack. It would make a lot more sense if firepits were built the same way. (Incidentally, maybe it would also be better if log piles were implemented like this.)

Yeah I think it should involve more crafting, like you have to get 2 cobble in a shape like the fire starter and it makes a fire ring, then you shift click that ring on the ground and the ring is on the ground, then you make a fire bundle with 3 straw and then shift click that on the fire, and finally you shift-click 3 sticks on the fire and hit it with a fire starter a few times to get it going. This would make it seem more realistic than just throwing some sticks on the ground and bam a fire.