Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Just_Another_Guy_:)

Enchantment system

187 posts in this topic

Lightning strikes affecting enchanting = awesome. I want to wire a lightning rod to the top of my house. Maybe the lightning is a key ingredient in enchanting.

I wasn't talking about lighting strikes being necesary for enchanting, just a bonus... after all, thunderstorms are very rare, and getting the enchantment table hitted by the lighting is even rarer. Maybe the lighting rode would be a nice addition, in order to higher the chances of getting the bonus. But, if you were only able to get enchatments if a lighting strikes, it would be nearly impossible. And if you live in a desert, is even worse.

Also, if the bonus is even added, and if the lighting rode is added as well, it would need to be an end-game item, i think.

If anyone here follows IC2, they are laughing their heads off at the mentions of lightning. Notch wrote weather stupidly, so the detecting a lightning strike is actually way more effort than is required for what is essentially an easter egg. Also, I figured out all the tools plans instantly (test world, first thing i did upon downloading the mod) and so "figuring them out" was a non-issue for me, as it is for everyone else with a little intuition, brute force and too much time, or access to the internet. It feels like (i've said this before) that you're trying to make it harder for no real reason. Plans do not require effort, they are basically a nice touch. If you want to add the runes similarly, fine, but it feels like a waste of time. How about another, different suggestion. Make the rune patterns similar. So that if you saw them in a scribing table (no need for a new GUI) it would be identifiable but if you saw one on the ground made out of mushrooms, it would be harder to tell. So keep the fairy ring/runes idea. But instead of using them to figure out how to enchant, how about, if you enchanted the correct gem, with that pattern while you were inside the fairy ring, then it would get a bonus of some kind. (a stronger level enchant, an additional enchant, boosted durability, efficiency, etc.

So the enchant process would go something like this:

Learn a rune symbol.

Go to scribing table, write the symbol (w/ special markings) onto paper.

Enchanting table takes "plan" slot and gem slot, put in your magical tool thingy and enchanted (but have a chance of being negative enchant, don't know at this point)

*This last step is the point that you would do inside the fairy ring for a bonus*

Forge/work your tool to accept a gem.

Insert the gem

test it out: hey i got efficiency!

This way the fairy system would still be useful, but not necessary.

EDIT:

OK after thinking about this some, how about low level enchants (efficiency, power, sharpness, etc.) can be done normally.

However the higher level enchants(silk touch, maybe new ones) you would do by: i'll just use silk touch as an example. Shooting for efficiency while inside an efficiency fairy ring would have a chance to get you silk touch (cuz silk touch is like better efficiency)

EDIT2:

OK thinking about this more, how about the enchants are capped at level 3 unless done at a fairy ring

Also maybe a high level enchant would allow you to move fairy rings to a more accessible location (arcane shears anyone?)

If anyone here follows IC2, they are laughing their heads off at the mentions of lightning. Notch wrote weather stupidly, so the detecting a lightning strike is actually way more effort than is required for what is essentially an easter egg. Also, I figured out all the tools plans instantly (test world, first thing i did upon downloading the mod) and so "figuring them out" was a non-issue for me, as it is for everyone else with a little intuition, brute force and too much time, or access to the internet. It feels like (i've said this before) that you're trying to make it harder for no real reason. Plans do not require effort, they are basically a nice touch. If you want to add the runes similarly, fine, but it feels like a waste of time. How about another, different suggestion. Make the rune patterns similar. So that if you saw them in a scribing table (no need for a new GUI) it would be identifiable but if you saw one on the ground made out of mushrooms, it would be harder to tell. So keep the fairy ring/runes idea. But instead of using them to figure out how to enchant, how about, if you enchanted the correct gem, with that pattern while you were inside the fairy ring, then it would get a bonus of some kind. (a stronger level enchant, an additional enchant, boosted durability, efficiency, etc.

So the enchant process would go something like this:

Learn a rune symbol.

Go to scribing table, write the symbol (w/ special markings) onto paper.

Enchanting table takes "plan" slot and gem slot, put in your magical tool thingy and enchanted (but have a chance of being negative enchant, don't know at this point)

*This last step is the point that you would do inside the fairy ring for a bonus*

Forge/work your tool to accept a gem.

Insert the gem

test it out: hey i got efficiency!

This way the fairy system would still be useful, but not necessary.

EDIT:

OK after thinking about this some, how about low level enchants (efficiency, power, sharpness, etc.) can be done normally.

However the higher level enchants(silk touch, maybe new ones) you would do by: i'll just use silk touch as an example. Shooting for efficiency while inside an efficiency fairy ring would have a chance to get you silk touch (cuz silk touch is like better efficiency)

EDIT2:

OK thinking about this more, how about the enchants are capped at level 3 unless done at a fairy ring

Also maybe a high level enchant would allow you to move fairy rings to a more accessible location (arcane shears anyone?)

I don't see the need to have fairy rings and "magical" plans... It would be much simple if you didn't have to research and look for things in the ground in order to be able to enchant something. Isn't it a little more exciting to make it random or pseudo-random, like gambling?

i wanted that originally but that was rejected by a certain extremely vocal member (cough cough eternal cough cough) not that i care, but i figure that if someone cared so strongly about it then maybe there should be a good compromise

If it is possible (maybe some kind of rewrite) a lightning rod would be a nice addition to the whole structure/shrine thing. I like the idea of trying to finding a middle point and you are pretty close to it however you still have the stuff that isn't necessary. I've gotten my idea down by now so I'm going to attempt to explain again.

1.Find gems (13 types of gems and five qualities)

2.Enchant gem in enchanting table (the type of would become the type of enchantment (each gem could even have the possibility of being in multiple groups) so maybe you have a ruby that gets fire. The quality of the gem would become the chance of power in the enchantment so a flawed gem may have a 10% chance of being -I, a 50% chance of being I, a 30% chance of being II and a 10% chance of being III) lets say we got Fire I.

3.Bind gem to tool (Shrine?). This is where most of the gambling comes in each enchantment strength level has a value representing how strong it is and each tool has a set of ranges representing how enchant-able it is. So lets say i have fire 1 still and I'm putting it in my copper sword and that Fire 1 = 10 and my copper sword has table ranges like this.

Ranges of Values        0-10  11-15   16-25   26-35  36+Chance of Destruction	5%    25%     50%     75%    99%

So there is a five percent chance that our sword will destroy itself however if I were to try to add on Water I then with that addition there is a 50% chance our sword will break and we will lose everything.

4. Use tool. So now we have a sword with Fire I well now this sword has some kind of fire effect maybe it lights mobs on fire for very short amount of time. However if we were to bind our Fire I to an axe for example maybe when we cut down a tree we would get some charcoal. So each set changes depending on the tool it's used on.

i agree. However, i think instead of having an enchantment called "fire" that did different things, i think that once it is enchanted in the enchanting table, it gets a specific enchantment(charcoalification, fire aspect, autosmelt, fire resistance, etc.) but you wouldn't know what if was. It would SAY "fire" but really it would be one of those. Then you would try to put in a tool and you would have to figure it out. So i would first try it in an axe. No luck, then i try a pickaxe. Success. This means that it was autosmelting, because that is the only "fire"-type enchant that works on pickaxes. Plus, this way, with different enchants instead of a universal one, there is the possibility of negative enchants (evil face }:->)

To EternalUndeath: I understand it works like the toolheads but those have a shape so you could guess rather easily. On the other hand how are you suppose to guess what shape an enchantment is. Ignore the second part of the sentence I wrote that really weird. Sorry for the confusion. I just think that a rune addition would serve almost no real purpose besides a longer far more boring research project/tedious annoyance. It doesn't fit well with TFC. Why add more stuff we don't need, it's like washing soap, it serves no real purpose besides take up your time.

You could guess rather easily? Friend, if you guessed the scythe recipe on your first shot without looking it up, I will eat my fedora. EVERYONE looks it up, the same way that everyone will end up looking up the runes. The fairy thing was just a way of allowing them to be found legit if you feel so inclined, the same as guessing for tools - you CAN guess if you want to try and get it on your own, just like you CAN go around finding the generated 'structures' in-world for enchanting. It's just a nice touch, as you said.

If the enchantment rune patterns are lookupable online, that what is to stop anyone from just looking them all up, instead of going for the runes. If it's going to be all thaumcraft quaesitum style, where you HAVE to research it first, then looking it up won't help. If it isn't going to be like that, then it will just be like crafting recipes, everyone will just look them up. That's why the randomness should be in the enchant itself, not in "discovering" it. no way to cheat.

Honestly, there should be a way to cheat this. It's just for flavor; making it required the way thaumcraft does would just be silly in this instance. In thaumcraft, YOU have control over building the quaesitum, and you're guaranteed to get at least something after you've thrown in a few stacks of cobble. World generation though, you have 0 control over. Making it mandatory is just poor game planning.

I think a lot of people are bugging out about this because you think I mean the fairy thingies to be a mandatory thing. They are not. They are just for flavor, and maybe to help out a little. It's just a matter of 'Oh, neat!' or 'Ooh, didn't see THAT one on the forums!'. Not a matter of necessity.

Other than that, and the way that I've made the enchanting block GUI out to be similar to the scribing table, my idea for enchanting isn't that terribly different from the ones everyone else keeps saying

I'm pretty sure the only two things still in dispute is how the gems become enchanted and if the enchants should be able to switch enchants depending what tool it is in. I'm pretty sure groupings are easier to code for the record not to mention that since you can't see what you got until you use it with the right tool. That could become extremely frustrating if you couldn't find it as there isn't anyway to fix/prevent it.

To EternalUndeath: I did manage to guess scythe recipe so it is possible. It may have taken a while but it would take a lot longer if what you were trying to guess didn't have a shape. This game is about believablity I can't see this being believable.

Chiming in. In regards to runes and stuff magically appearing in certain places for no discernible reason... I'm not sure if magical elements should be affecting (over)world gen at all. (Specifically/especial visible surface generation.)

In any case, as a game mechanic, the rune generation deal doesn't seem all that fair for the reasons previous mentioned. Tools doodles look like tool doodles, but runes don't look like anything so there's not a whole lot to guess by.

What of monster nests/dens? Perhaps the catalysts to turn gems magical could be rewards from the monster nests?

I thought of the catalyst idea too but couldn't figure a good way to put in (lightning!). The two ideas I ran over but didn't want to post were either a catalyst that would affect the outcome at the binding structure/shrine maybe by boosting the abilities in certain ways. Or we could try to fix the brewing mechanic also which may be going to far but it does have some potential.

im just going to quote myself here from the nether thread

Next: cropcircles/faerie circles/mushrooms is a stupid idea unless they are mandatory in which case they are a different stupid idea. M y suggestion: nix the faerie circles (sorry eternal)

I don't really like the whole "learn the enchantment based on what you do" thing. I'm going to stick with what I said before that each gem has a class (fire, power, water, flight, etc. make some up) and each class would contain multiple enchants (i.e. fire would contain fire resistance, fire aspect, sharpness, autosmelting, and charcoalification, but sharpness would be shared by power, and charcoalification would be shared by "tree") get it? So when you do the whole primordial ooze, it changes from a plain flawed emerald into an enchanted flawed emerald (you would know by intuition or by wiki or by maybe it would show that emerald = tree). you would know emerald meant tree. The second step would be to put it near an energy source. Depending on the conditions of the energy source (and a little bit of luck) to get an enchanted flawed emerald *. the * means it has a specific enchant now. Affixing it to tools would tell you what kind of enchant it was. (silk touch can't be put on a chest plate, etc.) But still, a sword could be sharpness or fire aspect or dullness. You'd have to wait and see. So here is the enchant process from start to finish the way I see it.

1. find a gem

2.enter the nether/hell and find a puddle of magic ooze (the first enchanting step)

3. toss the gem in, and let it steep. (Perhaps higher arcane tech could let you transport the ooze to a place where you can manage it better)

4. Retrieve the gem to get a magic gem (i.e. your beryl would still be called "flawless beryl" but the tooltip would say: "speed")

5.Find some sort of power source (fairy circle, primordial ooze (worst cuz you have to have it already but sitll an option), nether ores, maybe if you couldn't find a power source it would still happen over time, just slowly) and leave it there in some sort of container

6. Retrieve the gem again to get an enchanted gem (again it would still say "flawless beryl" but the tooltip would say:"speed*")

7. Affix beryl to pickaxe (oops doesn't work try an axe. Still no try armor.)

8. success. But is it speed or slowness?

9. try it out and see

if the "power source" thing is too hard and complex, replace with an enchanting table where you spend the points formerly known as experience to enchant.

Anyway the grade of the gem would determine how strong, likely hood to get better enchants, and likelyhood to get negative enchantments.

Reposting in another, slightly more appropriate thread upon request.

At least you won't have to spend years searching the forests for magic strange mushroom formations and odd crop circles. I thought that example was pretty simple by comparison considering I threw it together on seconds just to prove exp isn't anything but a creative crutch. As a matter of fact, you've inspired me to expand on it. :U

It also has the bonus of keeping the magical things in hell.

• Step one, collect a bunch of gems.
  • Step two, make it to hell.
  • Step three, in hell, locate a well of either liquid hell-mercury, or some other magic primordial ooze. May be guarded by mobs.
  • Step four, heat a single gem until it's very hot, then toss it into the liquid. Some bubbling occurs as the gem warps into something different.
  • Step five, retrieve the gem, prolonged exposure to the liquid is very toxic. (If you're a badass you'll try using a fishing rod/net.)
  • Step six, place the gem into a previously crafted special box, jar, or pot.
  • Step seven, place the gem near something you suspect might be a good thing to draw energy from.
  • Step eight, come back after a good, long while and your gem will now be magical.
I really don't like the last three steps in this set up, but that's mostly because I still haven't come up with good ideas for enchantments. They just don't mesh well with what we have so far in TerraFirmaCraft. That mindset is serving as a huge mental block.

Maybe just nix them entirely and make the gems gain enchantments based on what the tools they're affixed to do. So like, if a gem that has taken a hot bath in primordial ooze is attached a pickaxe, and that pickaxe mines through a lot of hard stones, the gem will 'learn' a durability enchantment. Softer stones would 'teach' it a speed enchantment, and so on. Mine a lot of smooth stone and it will gradually develop a silk touch-like ability. Gem grade could determine the number of possible tricks a gem could learn as well as how long it takes for the enchantments to sink in, and type would mostly be flavour unless anyone has a better idea.

...Now that, I like...

Everything sounds great in there except for two things with this we would have to remove the Exp system which I think could be done and saved no reason to toss it out yet. The other is that with the groups like that i still like the enchants that adjust otherwise finding what you want would be very difficult even if you had all the right pieces. Nothing could be done to prevent it. Also, what is the difference between steps 4 and 5 don't they both do the same thing. And so I have been thinking about this shrine idea and this catalyst idea what if we combined the two certain bindings would have higher success rates depending on the catalyst while other catalysts may make an enchantment stronger. Just a thought.

Edit: Another idea what if there were catalysts that would change the enchantment to fit the tool. This would mean more uses for catalysts and a good compromise.

i realy think these are all going a little too far, we want things to be fun and believable not tedious and far out there. if we were to make something like a poisioned apple im all for dipping something in a primordial ooze that you find in hell. but we are talking about enchanting, and using gems and jewels. if anything it should be something that can be done with skill and practice, enchanting the gems are fine but throwing them in a toxic sludge does not sound magical, it sounds stupid, i only see negative things coming from tossing a gem into a magic slime in hell. i think enchanting should be doe by either enchanting the gems and working them into the armour. or working them into the armour then enchating the gems. where have you guys gotten these ideas? any rpg or magical orientated story or game would teach you that gems are usualy enchanted by channeling magic or life force directly into the gems. whether you have to etch glyph or runes onto the gems is up to the author or game designers but the idea is the same, channeling magic into a gem leads to good things. dropping anything into slime usualy ends badly, for the item and you. this is just my opinion but droping items into toxic hell slime sounds like just about the worst idea ever. think practicaly not stupidly, yes enchanting should be difficult but it there are other ways to acheive this besides coming up with random crap and throwing on the forum cause it sounds like it will balance the game. remember, if bioxx does not think enchanting is difficult enough he will try to find ways to balance things out. whether he makes mobs stronger. makes gems rarer, or thinks up some other way to balance it, bioxx will find away, so can we get back to talking practiacly and try to think up a believable enchanting system? or are we going to keep rambling on about toxic hell sludge and magical fairy circles?

edit: and if we keep the experience, that could be the life force used to enchant the armour and tools. it would be more easily controled then the current random enchanting system but the idea of using the lifeforce of fallen enimies does seem to fit here. i am just stating my opinion, and if a better system comes along i would be more then happy to see it in the overhaul, but these ideas of primordial ooze just makes little to no sence.

Wow so many posts to read since I last posted - I didn't say the lightning was a requirement (did I?) I meant for it to be as a bonus or as a cool ingredient. And on top of that, what's to say the mechanics aren't designed so that every time you make a successful enchantment that lightning might strike your table :P. And who's to say that deserts won't get more storms alongside an update if lightning was that much more useful? Could make dry storms for deserts... something like worm sign hmmm. Anyway, ignore me, it's 4am lol.

Ok. I again I am trying to compromise. I'm all for a simple system that goes like this:

1.find gem

2.enchant gen in enchanting table using life force from killed enemies.

*at this point the gem already has an enchantment, but you don't know anything about except ruby=fire etc.*

3.Work gem into tool(using wrong tool will simply fail with no punishment)

4. Try it out and hope you got something good

There. This was my original idea but apparently it is too simple.

i realy think these are all going a little too far, we want things to be fun and believable not tedious and far out there. if we were to make something like a poisioned apple im all for dipping something in a primordial ooze that you find in hell. but we are talking about enchanting, and using gems and jewels. if anything it should be something that can be done with skill and practice, enchanting the gems are fine but throwing them in a toxic sludge does not sound magical, it sounds stupid, i only see negative things coming from tossing a gem into a magic slime in hell. i think enchanting should be doe by either enchanting the gems and working them into the armour. or working them into the armour then enchating the gems. where have you guys gotten these ideas? any rpg or magical orientated story or game would teach you that gems are usualy enchanted by channeling magic or life force directly into the gems. whether you have to etch glyph or runes onto the gems is up to the author or game designers but the idea is the same, channeling magic into a gem leads to good things. dropping anything into slime usualy ends badly, for the item and you. this is just my opinion but droping items into toxic hell slime sounds like just about the worst idea ever. think practicaly not stupidly, yes enchanting should be difficult but it there are other ways to acheive this besides coming up with random crap and throwing on the forum cause it sounds like it will balance the game. remember, if bioxx does not think enchanting is difficult enough he will try to find ways to balance things out. whether he makes mobs stronger. makes gems rarer, or thinks up some other way to balance it, bioxx will find away, so can we get back to talking practiacly and try to think up a believable enchanting system? or are we going to keep rambling on about toxic hell sludge and magical fairy circles?

edit: and if we keep the experience, that could be the life force used to enchant the armour and tools. it would be more easily controled then the current random enchanting system but the idea of using the lifeforce of fallen enimies does seem to fit here. i am just stating my opinion, and if a better system comes along i would be more then happy to see it in the overhaul, but these ideas of primordial ooze just makes little to no sence.

Yes, enchanting is precisely what we're talking about. It shouldn't be as easy as clicking a few GUI elements and suddenly becoming a juggernaut. After fitting(done in the appropriate workstation) an affected gem onto a tool, it would still take skill and experience to cultivate the enchantment you're looking for. If you want a creeper slaying enchantment you're going to have to slay a lot of creepers. To reduce fall damage you're going to have to fall(or just jump, I don't know) a lot. In this way you've got to work to get a pay-off, and you still run the risk of dying before you ever accomplish your goals and max out a gem.

As far as being far out, it's primordial ooze. It's like a cesspool of primitive life. Heating the gems is supposed to play off similar logic to the way people add additives to molten glass to change the colour. You're dyeing the gem in a vat of primordial life and infusing it with that energy. I'd say it plays to your RPG stereotypes rather well considering how it avoids all of the associated clichés so thoroughly you couldn't even recognize the same tropes in play.

It's also a bit more subtle, I think, than forcing Steve to scribe out runes and glyphs he probably shouldn't have any reason to know, or using experience/mana. Functionally it also limits enchantment to a post-hell discovery kind of deal, which is something I can appreciate.

Moving on, perhaps skills would be learned learn one level at a time, and grades determined how many times a gem could skill-up. So chipped gems could only skill-up once(just an example), which would give it a single low-rank enchantment. Meanwhile exquisite gems could skill-up ten times(just another example), potentially gaining two high-rank enchantments, or up to four different ones.

~Aaanyway, we can continue refining ideas or we can keep mudslinging.

A little more mudslinging. I don't like having to "learn" my enchants for the following reason. If I want a creeper-killing enchantment, it's because I need/want to kill a lot of creepers. (cuz i need gunpowder or they're invading or something) However, if I have to kill a lot of creepers to get the enchant, by the time I have the enchant, it will be obsolete because the creepers will all be dead. If I want a bonus ore enchantment, and I have to mine a lot of ore to get it, that defeats the purpose because I will already have a lot of ore so I will not the enchantment (as much). Enchantments shouldn't be super-end game, I agree that clicking a few GUI buttons and becoming a juggernaut is OP, but clicking a few GUI buttons and becoming slightly more efficient seems okay (after all that's what smelting is). Everyone is saying "Make OP enchantments and make them harder to get." Why not keep the enchantments we have and not have to make super complicated.

That's a reasonable argument. If you really wanted creeper handouts though, would you want them for free--just because you got lucky with some arbitrary RNG-based mechanic? (In reference to the traditional enchantment system) ...Ooor would it make more sense, particularly in a game-mechanic kind of way, to get more creeper drops as a reward for surviving in harsh environment(hell), building good, smart tools, and, well, conquering the creeper mob. The enchantment would be useful for as long as you had it, to be sure. If you're a skilled player, this could potentially be a very long time.

If accessing hell was implemented as EternalUndeath suggested, it wouldn't necessarily be an endgame thing anyway. Accessing it in an endgame scenario would just make it vastly more accessible as you would be better able to defend and sustain yourself. This means that ambitious, and skilled players can reward themselves earlier, and reap greater benefits sooner. (Which I believe is a sound gameplay mechanic...)

As far as keeping the vanilla enchantments...they're, alright, however TFC has a lot of features Minecraft doesn't. Tweaking things here and there to better suit TFC would be a better idea than straight porting them. Additionally, we could also have more flexible ones. The creeper slaying enchantment could also, for example, improve drops at higher levels. Going further, if you're clever, neat little specialized enchantments could be created/discovered. For example, kill a bunch of magma creams with a gemmed axe to make it so that in addition to felled logs, you're granted a small chance of receiving charcoal when you take out a tree. There's just more potential for discovery, and for the player, it all boils down to "Do things to get better at doing things," and "What happens if I do this..?" which are very simple concepts, I think.

Okay so I meant to post a little bit ago but it didn't save so I'm going to do the shortened version. I agree with Devlin and Peffern we need a simple system. However a additional system to make it possible to make it complicated but not necessary to be complicated should be added I was going to suggest a catalyst system. These catalyst could be added during the binding process do produce a variety of effects such as additions, strengthening, changing, and so forth these catalysts wouldn't be necessary for the reaction it would just help it along so you could still enchant easily the basic way outlined by both Peffern and I. These catalysts could be anything from hell ooze to lightning. Tell me what you think of this if it is a good idea i may try to go into more detail.

Not a big fan of the idea of gaining experience in certain areas but experience for achievements I like. We already have a system for experience redoing it would be reinventing the wheel. This is not an RPG mod, at all. There are already too many people attempting to make RPGs our job as TFC is standout not blend in. The experience system was made to get people off peaceful mode and go kill some stuff. We could easily repurpose it to force people to do stuff like got to the nether or build a forge or whatever.

And Peffern I think that only powerful enchanting should be endgame. Early enchantments (midgame) should be mischevious and hard to use at times but still hold benefit. As people get better equipment to bind to and better catalysts the process would become more complex with the catalysts but the benefits would be far greater.

Additionally when thinking about gems in the nether I couldn't help but remember that in one of the Narnia books it is said that deep underground gems are actually live fruits of some type. That may be a little overboard but its still pretty cool.

Okay so I meant to post a little bit ago but it didn't save so I'm going to do the shortened version. I agree with Devlin and Peffern we need a simple system. However a additional system to make it possible to make it complicated but not necessary to be complicated should be added I was going to suggest a catalyst system. These catalyst could be added during the binding process do produce a variety of effects such as additions, strengthening, changing, and so forth these catalysts wouldn't be necessary for the reaction it would just help it along so you could still enchant easily the basic way outlined by both Peffern and I. These catalysts could be anything from hell ooze to lightning. Tell me what you think of this if it is a good idea i may try to go into more detail.

Not a big fan of the idea of gaining experience in certain areas but experience for achievements I like. We already have a system for experience redoing it would be reinventing the wheel. This is not an RPG mod, at all. There are already too many people attempting to make RPGs our job as TFC is standout not blend in. The experience system was made to get people off peaceful mode and go kill some stuff. We could easily repurpose it to force people to do stuff like got to the nether or build a forge or whatever.

And Peffern I think that only powerful enchanting should be endgame. Early enchantments (midgame) should be mischevious and hard to use at times but still hold benefit. As people get better equipment to bind to and better catalysts the process would become more complex with the catalysts but the benefits would be far greater.

Additionally when thinking about gems in the nether I couldn't help but remember that in one of the Narnia books it is said that deep underground gems are actually live fruits of some type. That may be a little overboard but its still pretty cool.

I do like the catalysts idea... How about, using it to take advantage of something useless in vanilla minecraft? such as, soulsand, which beside traps and doors has no use -at least, i don't know any other use for it.- So, it would be like this:

-In order to get better enchantments, head to th nether and collect some soulsand

-Use it in the workbench with a -insert here some tool, i don't know- in order to get some "soul powder"

-Place the soul powder in a special slot in the enchanting table, and try out your enchantments. Every successful enchantment would make the soul powder disappear, and it would be much better than usual enchantments.

Thats basically what I was thinking but I was going to use it during binding rather than during enchantment. That way we could affect the success rate there. I think this idea could find many uses for things that didn't have many uses (I like making traps from soul sand). I also thought that we could tie in the brewing system by making some catalysts only creatable by brewing. All potions (besides potion of weakness) require a nether wart to be brewed first to make an awkward potion. What if all catalysts required hell ooze (or whatever its called) to be brewed into a reactive potion.

I would like to bring up a small point.

We already have a system for experience redoing it would be reinventing the wheel.

This mod already has "reinvented the wheel". Do you think that this forging system is vanilla, or has anything to do with vanilla whatsoever? not at all.

That's true. I think that was more of a use jets instead of wheel kinda thing but point taken i can't really use that example. Replicating the same system over and over and breaking it up seems a little unnecessary though.

That's true. I think that was more of a use jets instead of wheel kinda thing but point taken i can't really use that example. Replicating the same system over and over and breaking it up seems a little unnecessary though.

I'm not clever enough to reinvent a jet.

If that comment was directed to the living gems idea came up with earlier, I'd say the 'broken up' experience system kind of falls in line with the entire 'broken up' mining experience TFC has put on our plate already. Further, you also mentioned something about achievements..? Wouldn't you say that acquiring rewards for reaching certain specific goals/milestones follows that model very well?