Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Neurovore

[Solved] Salt water

4 posts in this topic

In the current game I'm having, I set up my home base in an area that happens to be landlocked for a very long (> 2 days) distance in what seems every direction. I've done a lot of basic setup - I have a house, copper anvil, charcoal, furnace, a BED, food cellar, house, breeding pens for pigs, sheep, and chickens. Flux was 2 days away but I've carted enough back with me to go for a while.

I have plenty of fresh water, and have a large farming area set up. I've got grain (which means alcohol), but very limited fruit. My current goal is brine for food preservation. This means salt water, which for me is a 3-day journey each direction per barrel.

A couple problems with that. First, a full stack of veggies consumes almost an entire barrel of brine to get it "brined" in one shot. Bug? I'm not liking my chances for pickling veggies or smoking meat for the winter. In any case, here's the real question:

If I take a freshwater pond, and replace the shores with sand or gravel, will it produce salt water instead?

A full barrel of brine for 160oz of food is intentional, and not a bug. This is the primary bottleneck to stop players from just super-preserving all of their food with pickling and smoking. Decay is a mechanic that was implemented so players learn to deal with it, not as something that is meant to easily be "fixed" and forgotten about.

You cannot change a freshwater pond to saltwater through any method other than draining it, and then using a red steel bucket to move salt water source blocks to it. Saltwater generates primarily in ocean and beach biomes, and really cannot be found anywhere else.

As for your problem, have you managed to find a donkey? The player's inventory has 37 slots, plus a back slot, and a donkey has 15 slots for storage. That means that you can put a full salt water barrel on your back, and then carry an additional 52 buckets of salt water between your inventory and the donkey's. That's enough salt water for 1 bucket shy of 7 full barrels worth of brine.

The way I deal with this kind of situation is to setup a post by the beach and do the brinning there. Instead of bringing the salt water back to your base take the fruits to the beach and do all the brining there. Until you have red steel to create a salt water well this is the best solution.

I think the right solution here would be the saltwater outpost. Even if I do that my lack of fruit will gate vinegar production severely. Winter is just about to start in my game, which means another 6-7 months before I'll be able to collect fruit again. I'll probably take the longer 4-day trip towards a known location for cows, since dairy is currently completely lacking in my diet. I can dual-purpose a cattle ranch and brining outpost.