Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bunsan

Hardened/Stained Clay

15 posts in this topic

I'd love to see the inclusion of Hardened/Stained Clay. Since Glass can be cooked in the forge, although not realistic, I feel that having clay cooked into hardened clay would be reasonable. I'd suggest the pit kiln, but that is a bit much for resources even being able to cook 4 at a time. Clay blocks were removed in 79, likely due to abuse of its non-gravitiness in an easy to make early game block. I'd suggest either having a new item, ball of clay, or have the clay block be affected by gravity. I would really appreciate the extended building blocks in vanilla TFC that this would provide.

While this is a good idea, and would make it possible to make awesome adobe houses, I doubt that it will be added in this version. Most likely this sort of thing will apear when they re-write much of the mod for the new minecraft systems that came as a result of the 1.8 versions. I dont imagen that they will bring them back to this version, but I'd hazzard a guess that they will include them in the re-write. I think the only things still to be added to this version are going to be the temperature stuff and all the related stuff so you dont freeze or fry. That and the longer light source they have prommised.

Edited by Elagn

I like the idea of making adobe, but in true TFC style I'd like it to be more realistic than cooking clay in the furnace.  Adobe is a great material, but it's not quick or easy. It could get more complicated than my suggestion below (Making adobe on the ground or something) but my attempt at mixing reality with gameplay would be:

• Create "Ball of Adobe" or similar by combining a clay ball, a block of sand, water (bucket gets returned) and straw in a crafting window.  The number of balls you'd get from one of each could be balanced/configureable, but I'd guess 2-4 would be appropriate.
  • Create a "Brick Form" by combining planks in a combination not being used (perhaps 4 planks in a diamond shape in a full crafting grid?) Each form would make 2 (or maybe 4) bricks
  • This form would be placed on the ground and filled with Balls of Adobe (1-2 balls per form)
  • The adobe would then start to dry, probably on a random tick like plants grow. When partially dry the forms could be retrieved the same way clay jars are.  When fully dry the bricks could be picked up like rocks, and the forms would come with them if they hadn't been removed earlier.
  • 4 bricks would make an "Adobe Brick Block" which could be placed like any other block.  Realistically it should only be stacked vertically or in arches, but that might be too much coding.  Retrieval would be by pickax (and could break them back into bricks, though I don't know if thats ideal gameplay wise)
  • The block could be plastered ("Adobe Plaster" = Ball of clay + water) to give it a smooth texture.  The plaster could be used on several blocks (amount indicated by damage bar) but would disappear if the block is collected.  Only placed adobe could be plastered.

For textures I'm thinking the Adobe blocks would look the same, but the plaster could be mixed with dyes or sand/dirt to tint it.

A little more on making adobe bricks can be found here: ABCs of Making Adobe Bricks

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but the Decorations Mod have mud bricks that use a similar process as the one you described.

The Decorations addon is great but to see true adobe bricks, ovens etc added into the core TFC would provide a great expansion to the stone age and would round out early gameplay nicely instead of everyone rushing to the end to be able to get some expanded cooking out of the way. I would actually love it if you could build adobe ovens because they are one of those things which are temperamental and a pain to build correctly in the first place. if the adobe is too wet when you take the molding sand out of it it will collapse. If it is too wet when you fire it for the first time or gets to hot during normal use it will crack and possibly explode into tiny bits. 

adobe bricks are similar in the sense that they can easily crack when they are done drying, need to be fired to reach full strength but could be used raw for a weaker but functional wall, it is susceptible to rain damage if it is left un-coated with hydrophobic materials too long (which already exist in TFC in some of the plants, animals and minerals).

I am all for an Adobe Expansion for TFC and would even help Bioxx, Dunk and Kitty however I can to achieve this.

There are other topics that discuss real Adobe like bricks. Please do not hijack this thread, especially since there are other places to have that discussion.

My request was a simple one. I love the earthy look of TFC, but at times I want some real colour options in building. I have a strong affinity for aboriginal art from the Americas and Australia as well as art from Africa. Part of my love for many of the pieces of art is the vibrant colours that contrast the earthy tones of the environment.

The blocks themselves are not realistic or especially believable. A believable solution would be the ability to add colour to the blocks of your build. However that involves a lot of coding and fancy renders etc. and the end result would be much the same. I feel that a suspension of belief to allow the injection of some colour with a luxury item, since there is no Mesa, is worth it.

There are other topics that discuss real Adobe like bricks. Please do not hijack this thread, especially since there are other places to have that discussion.My request was a simple one. I love the earthy look of TFC, but at times I want some real colour options in building. I have a strong affinity for aboriginal art from the Americas and Australia as well as art from Africa. Part of my love for many of the pieces of art is the vibrant colours that contrast the earthy tones of the environment.The blocks themselves are not realistic or especially believable. A believable solution would be the ability to add colour to the blocks of your build. However that involves a lot of coding and fancy renders etc. and the end result would be much the same. I feel that a suspension of belief to allow the injection of some colour with a luxury item, since there is no Mesa, is worth it.

I am not trying to hijack the thread at all, when I searched for Adobe in the forums, this was one of the only ones not flagged with [Duplicate]. this tells me that this should be the primary place in which to discuss the concept of adding adobe materials. I apologize that this was how my post was interpreted. 

Was not completely directed at you, I just didn't bother following all posts in the topic so didn't address it until now. The issue for me is that the concept of Adobe has been addressed. There are placeholder Adobe bricks in mod currently. So the devs see Adobe in the topic and just ignore it as it is nothing new. I'd like my request looked at and considered and likely rejected for what it is.

The topic that you could discuss your thoughts on introduction of an Adobe into TFC is http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/7328-mudclay-adobe-block/

Not sure if is really pertinent to the topic, but something that I would like to see in tfc is for Sand stone and hardened clay to be a part of Biomes.

Like the same way that we have gravel under dirt and before stone, we could have sandstone under sand and before stone in desert biomes.

Also we could have hardened clay under clay and again before stone.

If hardened clay and sandstone follow the stone type we could have different colors in a believable way.

That would be a nice addition for TFC2. I can't imagine a redo of biome worldgen would be feasible at this time though.

bumping because i would like to see the clay blocks added! at very least in TFC2..

I absolutely agree that we should have hardened clay in TFC. The amount of of ancient buildings made with ceramic and adobe materials are numerous and yet absent from TFC, a mod which in many aspects thrusts us into an ancient world. A system to make hardened clay would be an excellent addition to TFC. In addition, stained clay could bring a great amount of potential for builders (not to mention another use for dyes!). To omit something from TFC with both important historical and creative aspects would be a real shame.

We've been getting request for vanilla hardened clay blocks on our server. If there's a chance the request for TFC hardened clay blocks will be granted then we would prefer to wait for a future TFC release rather than adding in 'foreign' blocks to the game ourselves.

Are there any plans to add these blocks? If so, will players be able to chisel them?

There are currently no plans for adding hardened clay to TFC.