Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Balthizarlucien

Climate temperature inaccuracy...

7 posts in this topic

I am trying to setup a world in which the climate mimics the state of Maine, which is where I grew up. I have found the formula in the wiki which is used to determine the z coordinates but when I arrive there the climate is not right at all.

The average biome temperature appears to be far too low for Maine as the trees turn brown over night and occasionally stay that way during the day because it's too cold. The z coord I used was 20277 which is supposed to mimic Naples Maine's climate because that sits at 45.6 deg lat.

Is there a factor I am not getting? Why is the early summer still fridgid?

The daytime temps on June first through June 5th were hovering around 1.95 - 2.4 Celsius when that same period in Maine sits at a much warmer range of 10-23 degrees Celsius.

Can anyone suggest a z value that would match the climate I am looking for? Winters still need to get bitter cold (as low as -12 to -1 degrees Celsius) but the summer should get warmer than where I am now...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Maine is a coastal state, your weather is very heavily influenced by the ocean, meaning that throughout the year weather is a bit more mild.

The climate system in TFC does not take ocean currents into consideration. I'd suggest you try travelling to closer to the 15,000 range and see if that is a better fit.

Maine is a coastal state, your weather is very heavily influenced by the ocean, meaning that throughout the year weather is a bit more mild.The climate system in TFC does not take ocean currents into consideration. I'd suggest you try travelling to closer to the 15,000 range and see if that is a better fit.

Ahhh I see :) that makes sense now. So 20277 is more like weather for the Dakotas then? I wish I had a chart that laid out specifically how much temperature shift there was and how the rainfall is figured because I would totally create an overlay of North America for people. It would actually be very easy because I could use the USDA hardiness zone map and fill in the appropriate coords for each zone :P of course that accounts for temperature and not rainfall but... Ehhh details lol Edited by Balthizarlucien

If you want to bug me in about a month, I should be on break from school and would be willing to work with you to help create something easier for people to use that shows how climate is actually mapped out in a world.

If you want to bug me in about a month, I should be on break from school and would be willing to work with you to help create something easier for people to use that shows how climate is actually mapped out in a world.

Sounds good to me! I will set myself a reminder right now :) by the way, the -15,000 range seems to work a bit better than where I was before but I have my year set to 336 days (7 day weeks, 4 week months for a 12 month year = 336 days ;) ) so I will have to see what the winter snow is like but so far so good.Thought I might also mention that if you were to grant me editing access to the wiki I would be more than happy to work on creating user friendly layouts / infographics etc as well as act as a second set of eyes in proofreading for you. I have spent a huge amount of time on the wiki just reading it all already so I would love the chance to be a bit more proactive on there. Edited by Balthizarlucien

I'd suggest doing what I do. Any one is able to edit the discussion page. Put your proposed changes over on that page. Then once you've proved yourself you can likely get editor status. I think I have editor status and still do edits this way.