Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kittychanley

Bad Spawn Points

11 posts in this topic

I'm currently trying out a few fixes for bad spawn points such as spawning inside of a tree, or at the bottom of the ocean.

Please post any and all seeds you have that spawn players in such situations. Note: This is not a topic for seeds considered "bad" because of a lack of materials. I'm just looking for seeds that essentially make it impossible for players to leave the spawn area without dying of fall damage or drowning.

Would spawning underwater count even if you can surface? I have gotten a few where I was a long way from any land before and relatively near the ocean floor...

If it's the latest version of TFC and you spawn underwater in a spot that has no land in sight, then yes that would count.

When body temperature is added, spawning at the bottom of the sea could be a death trap

I'm not sure how spawning in a tree would count (except in hardcore), unless TFC removed the 20 block variance in respawning at the spawn point, in which case implementing a spawn radius could prevent that

I'm guessing you've never spawned at the top of an acacia forest? Even with the 20 block variance you pretty much always spawn in the tree, and trying to get down you die of fall damage.

Unfortunately I no longer have the world seed that I experienced that in.

Well kitty I will get to seed busting to see if I can get you a few then! I will disable all the other mods too just in case they are influencing anything. Who knows, maybe I will find a real gem of a seed!

I have been seed busting all day and have only found these two seeds Kitty. One was not a bad spawn point but it actually crashed my game.

Bad Seeds

triggers game crash

treetop spawn (non fatal I lost about 1/4 health. I figured that spawning on a tree should be the same cause all the time)

Top of a tree next to a ravine

Top of a tree, fall damage 226

I have cycled through roughly 125 generated worlds thus far and still haven't found a seed that kills me yet. I am gathering a nice collection of seeds for the seed forum though, so that is nice :) I will be composing each seed as their own post as soon as I get bored with seed busting lol :)

Just thought I would add that the current terrain generation methods seem very rock solid minus the occasional floating islands which I'm sure are super hard to get rid of anyway.

Feel free to send me other debugging or generation type tasks if you want, I am happy to act as a live beta tester for you if you want testing or simulation done.

Edited by Balthizarlucien

What I don't get is why the existance of bad seeds is a problem

What is so wrong about

1.) Seed generated

2.) Players see seed is a deathtrap

3.) Players exit game and try again

Using Balthizarlucien's data, 121/125 seeds are fine (96.8%)

This doesn't sound like a problem

Edited by Palisight

Because those seeds are a sign of bad programming. It's a bug, and we want to fix it.

The situation you described is much more like

1.) Seed Generated

2.) Players see seed is a deathtrap

3.) Players blame developers and want us to fix our game

4.) Player exits game.

On the rare chance that said player in the above scenario managed to get a bad seed on their very first try of TFC, there's a good chance we just lost them as a player, and they won't try another world.

Could you please post a pastebin of the crash report you got when generating 2411486809862782029 ? It doesn't crash for me.

Could you please post a pastebin of the crash report you got when generating 2411486809862782029 ? It doesn't crash for me.

I was seed busting from a work computer running windows 7 I will see if I get the same crash here at home. If I do I will definitely give you the crash log. I will also send the crash log from my work machine when I get back there Friday just in case.