Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zzapdragon

Looking to study a town for a school assignment

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm taking an agriculture class and one of my projects is about putting myself in an early society and describing what i would need to do to get food for the rest of my community. I thought Terrafirmacraft would be an excelent way to study this subject as any town on TFC requires a multitude of people doing different jobs to survive. Rarely have I encountered anyone who can jack-of-all-trades this modpack.

Here is the transcript for my assignment.

"For this assignment, you will put yourself in the place of a person living in an early society. You will describe your community and how you obtain the food you need to survive. You will need to include detailed information, such as:

• the number of members in your community
  • the location and description of the area in which you live
  • how you obtain your food sources
  • a detailed explanation of what types of foods you obtain
  • a detailed explanation of the interactions between the people in your community and the roles they play in the community

You may use the information in the lessons. You will also need to use some outside resources to complete this assignment. Please reference the sources you have used. You may complete the assignment in a Word document or a PowerPoint presentation."

I'm an avid terrafirma craft player and i've been a part of many towns and server communities. I'd like to both get back into playing this modpack and get this project done. In order to actually learn you have to be interested in your research am I right?

I'd preferably like to study a mid-tier town with at least 5-6 players. The town would need a farmer, butcher, and a cook. It would have to be nice looking but at the same time easy to describe in words (I'd LIKE to insert a screenshot). Most importantly I want these players to be mature adults that can take things seriously and have a sense of priority with their respective jobs.

My username is Zzapdragon, I am available monday through friday after 3. Weekends I work dispatching phones, so online gaming on the weekends is a no-no. If you're interested send me a pm me or reply to this thread. Thank you!

( And for the admins, I wasn't sure where to post this if you'd like it moved I will be totally cool as long as people can read it)

I would caution you that Terrafirmacraft is believable not realistic, and while it can give you a feel for how towns worked and may be a good supplemental resource it is by no means a substitute for proper research. If you tell your teacher the community you put yourself into consisted of 5 people you might not get a great grade.

I would caution you that Terrafirmacraft is believable not realistic, and while it can give you a feel for how towns worked and may be a good supplemental resource it is by no means a substitute for proper research. If you tell your teacher the community you put yourself into consisted of 5 people you might not get a great grade.

My teacher is flexible. I spoke with her prior to this post. She's also seen me play this modpack plenty of times and has shown alot of interest in it. I would not have posted this without her permission to use TFC as a resource. The crop rotation, seasons, harvest, refining, and food preservation was totally what she was looking for. I just need the "community model" fr the assignment.

Cool! I have not had a lot of teachers who would be that flexible (a surprising number of them said flat out they did not believe games could be used to teach anything). I can't really help you since I play single player but I wish you good luck!

This is actually what happens on my server. My friends and I (there's 4 of us) play togather on a private server hosted by me. We all have different roles.

Me         - Blacksmith, Miner. (get ore and make tools)

Friend 1 - Builder, Terra-former. (gets the terrain done and builds on it)

Friend 2 - Farmer, Shepherd, Butcher, Cook. (gets us food)

Friend 3 - Explorer, Hunter, Harvester. (explores the world, hunts deer, goes fishing)

Everybody has a task to do, always busy.

A big two-story house can fit us all in quite well.

We have a farm with grain and vegetables, we have a garden with trees and bushes, and out explorer brings us venison from time to time.

Many different storage buildings help us sort our resorses.

A big blacksmith provides all the facilities needed for the production of steel and can store up to 128 ingots of each type.

We have a barn for the cattle, watermill for our grain (just decoration building), water sawmill for logs (just decoration aswell).

We have a tower for observation.

Out town's frontier is a big earthen shaft, but we are planning to make a descent stone brick wall.

You can check the develompent of this town here.

The thing is

1.) The numbers in TFC are often based off of gameplay reasons rather than real life

2.) Real human beings have to worry about eating every month of thier lives, in TFC you only have to worry about eating when you log in to the server. And time passes as long as a single person is logged in to the server, where as time always passes in real life

3.) Your agricultural tools will only include tools currently implented by TFC

4.) You will the crop rotation system in TFC does not describe the nuitrients used by the plants, nor will you get real life methodology from crop rotation

5.) Most servers use 96 day years rather than 365.25 day years. All of them use 20 minute days

For these reasons, you would be using a abstracted simulation based off of real life rather than basing things on real life

Using TFC as a model, you would probably get awnsers such as this:

Why did you settle here?

We found lots of native copper nuggets on the ground, the rock layer close by has limestone which can be used as flux, and there is clay nearby

Describe this land:

Sure, first we leveled the ground using creeper explosions and shovels. Then we build this wall with lips so giant spiders can't jump over the walls......

Basically you are doing yourself a disservice by using your hobby as your project. If you would instead use real life sources, you could potentially enjoy your hobby more as you would learn more about the facts behind the scenes of TFC

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0