Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kittychanley

Patreon

11 posts in this topic

I'm currently looking into setting up a Patreon page for TerraFirmaCraft.

https://www.patreon.com/

I'm curious what kind of rewards you, the potential patrons, would like to see and would motivate you to potentially make a pledge. Because TFC2 is still in very very early development, the rewards from patreon page would be primarily aimed at development of the current Beta TFC, and not TFC2. The proceeds from this page would be split between our development staff.

Here are some ideas of possible patron rewards:

• Your name on our credits page: http://terrafirmacraft.com/credits.html
  • Direct access to the current development builds of the next hotfix. In essence, you would become an official beta tester for new features. While TFC is open source, and therefore anyone can compile the latest development build to test it, we do not offer direct support for those who do so. This reward in essence would be us periodically compiling the in-progress code and sending it directly to patrons who could then play around with new features or bug test if they desire. It is important to note that these builds will be very unstable, and patrons will be highly encouraged to back up their saves before using them.
  • The ability to guest-star in an official TFC tutorial video, that will be posted on the wiki, such as my Propick Video.
  • Access to a patron-only TFC server, that is either running the current stable release, or the latest possibly unstable development build. While I cannot speak for our other developers, I would personally make sure to periodically hop on to this server and play along with the patrons.
  • Personalized Q&A. Patrons would be able to ask the developers almost any question (within reason) and get a personalized response back from a developer.
  • Periodic streams or videos of our development, testing, and documentation processes. See behind the scenes what all goes into making TFC and maintaining its wiki.

If you have any other ideas for patron rewards, feel free to post them below. The only reward that I currently can think of that would likely never be added, or only added with a very high price tag would be for you to suggest a feature (within reason) that would then be added to the game.

After looking at the different options for a patreon page, I am currently thinking that we would set it up to be a monthly pledge, rather than a per-content pledge due to the way we currently handle development of the mod. A monthly pledge system would also be great motivation for us to push forward with development and work towards stricter deadlines so we can feel that we are earning your donations.

This post has been promoted to an article

Edit: For those of you who would like to instead make an individual one-time donation to our developers, all of our donation buttons can be found on this page:

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Donate

Edited by Kittychanley

Something as simple as a forum Patreon badge is a good opening level reward.

I think the server, as like the official TFC servers is a great idea. People will line up for the opportunity to play with Kitty. 

Maybe some events a la terrafirmacrack. Various types of events could be created that only last up to a few days. Some could be PvP some PvE. Something as simple as a hardcore race to make a set of steel armour. Or a simple HQM build where teams share lives, which can be increased via a number of quests that involve key development points and luxury/secondary items. The concern I would have for anything involving a server is the ongoing cost and time investment that could entail. You don't want a patron goal to get in way of development. Perhaps shorter term events would work best.

This is really interesting because I've wondered for a long time whether a voluntary subscription model like Patreon is a viable way to sustain an open source software project like TFC in the same way it does for Youtube personalities. This is probably the highest profile example I can think of right now, so I'm eager to see how this turns out.I think the rewards are pretty good as they currently are. Maybe branded T-shirts would be good too, though TFC doesn't have that much in it that is visually memetic enough to warrant a T-shirt design (maybe a textual reference to the mod?)

All the new mechanisms and modifications you brought to this mod...well it's actually a game by itself now.

You have your own team, own concept, own community, so why not your own financial methods.

Edited by landryx

I guess I didn't make it very clear in the OP, but suggestions for price thresholds for each possible reward are also greatly appreciated. Besides suggesting new possible rewards, how much would you think is a fair price to unlock one of the above possible rewards?

For now, I've created a page that's just for the wiki. Due to the way that patreon handles payment, and taking taxes into consideration, it may be a while before a TFC development patreon page is created where the money is split between the devs.

https://www.patreon.com/Kittychanley

You mentioned price suggestions. Would a minimum of a dollar or two, followed by five to ten dollar increments work? For example:Teir I: $1Teir II: $5Teir III: $10etc...What perks should be part of which teir is something I'd have to get back to you on, as I'm not 100% sure.

One thing you might consider, which many game devs have done with their donation system, is a series of fundraising goals, upon which something extra would be added to the game. You could look through popular suggestions of things that would fit with the game but you might not have considered doing due to prioritising other things, and do a poll to see what's the most popular. If the fundraising goal is high enough, I imagine it'd be worth pushing something else off a bit. I don't know about what other per-donor perks there could be, but I think a goal system would encourage more donations overall, small or large.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow

We'd rather not put any features of the game behind a paywall. It's not fair to our players to expect them to have to pay for something as a community before it is added to the game, when it likely would eventually be added to the game anyways. The other issue with associating game features with fundraising goals is the higher sense of entitlement that comes from players once they have paid for something. If one person makes a suggestion, and it happens to be a part of a feature that was put behind a fundraising goal, the chances are high that the original person who made the suggestion will feel like they aren't receiving credit, even if their suggestion was just a paragraph or two that consisted of a very very tiny part of the effort in actually creating the mechanic, and was just used as a seed to start from.