Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
McOrigin

[0.79.16] Colored Steel with limited silver

9 posts in this topic

Hi fellows,

I played my world for some years now, finished a nice blast furnace and started to create steel followed by black steel. Black steel requires black bronze which requires silver. Silver is really limited in my world. Thus I got to the point to create as much black steel as posible with my tiny amount of silver. Here is what I came up with - maybe this approach will be useful for others too.

• I got the numbers from the official wiki.
  • I usually work with full ingots as ingot piles look better than ores in a chest. However I do not want to litter my vault with ingots I never use again.
  • 1 ingot is 100 units of metal.
  • The crucible holds up to 3000 units (30 ingots) of alloy.
  • I updated this post to bring some theoretical numbers to a more practical use for beginners and experts alike.

I used a reverse kind of approach to put this together:

Black Bronze

Black Bronze requires 10 to 25 % silver. 1 silver ingot (worth 100 units) max out at 10 black bronze ingots (1000 units):

• 1000 black bronze made of
  • 700 copper (70.0 %)
  • 200 gold (20.0 %)
  • 100 silver (10.0 %)

Black Steel

Black Steel needs 15 to 25 % black bronze. 10 ingots of black bronze max out at 66 weak (black) steel ingots (6600 units) theoretically when using full ingots. However, the crucible hold 3000 units and we want a convenient recipe:

• 3000 pig iron to weld with weak black steel
  • 3000 weak (black) steel made of
  • 2000 steel (66.7 %)
  • 500 nickel (16.7 %)
  • 500 black bronze (16.7 %)

Use this cycle two times to completely use the 10 black bronze ingots created before. It creates 60 ingots of black steel made of 100 silver and 1000 nickel and is a nice rinse-and-repeat. Be aware: you need 14 ingots of black steel to create 7 black steel double ingots for a black steel anvil before you can proceed!

Now we can continue with red and blue steel! The black steel is used in two ways: first off you need it in the crucible for the weak version of the red and blue steel. Then you need more black steel to weld it with the weak ingot. The volume in the crucible is doubled up by the other alloys added. Again, pay attention to the volume limit of the crucible (3000 units = 30 ingots).

Red Steel

The weak red steel needs 50 to 60 % black steel. We use 50%:

• 3000 black steel to weld with weak red steel
  • 3000 weak red steel
    • 1500 black steel (50.0 %)
    • 700 steel (23.3 %)
    • 400 rose gold (13.3 %)
    • 300 gold (75.0 %)
    • 100 copper (25.0 %)
  • 400 (of 1200) brass (13.3 %)
    • 367 (of 1100) copper (91.8 %)
    • 33 (of 100) zinc (8.3%)

The brass is created more efficient in proces upscaled by 3: melt 1100 (11 ingots) copper and add 100 zinc (1 ingot). This allows 3 production cycles for red steel.

Blue Steel

Blue steel uses comparable numbers, but is tricky if you want to minimize the use of sterling  silver and black steel. Here is one production scheme, using exactly half filled unshaped metal molds. They are tricky to get but if you have two ingot molds you may swap and pour until you have them at 50 / 50. Be careful! 750 steel is exactly on the limit of 25.0 % in the recipe. If you use an unshaped steel ingot with 51 units, you will be off limit!

• 3000 black steel to weld with weak blue steel
  • 3000 weak blue steel
    • 750 steel (25.0 %)
    • 450 bismuth bronze (15.0 %) (tip: use a ceramic vessel for exact volume)
    • 300 copper (66.7 %)
    • 100 zinc (22.2 %)
    • 50 bismuth (11.1%)
  • 300 (of 1000) sterling silver (10.0 %) (tip: use a ceramic vessel for exact volume and minimal silver use)
    • 180 (of 600) silver (60.0 %)
    • 120 (of 400) copper (40.0%)

If silver is less a problem, use this more convenient scheme:

• 3000 black steel to weld with weak blue steel
  • 3000 weak blue steel
    • 750 steel (25.0 %)
    • 450 bismuth bronze (15.0 %) (tip: use a ceramic vessel for exact volume)
    • 300 copper (66.7 %)
    • 100 zinc (22.2 %)
    • 50 bismuth (11.1%)
  • 300 (of 1000) sterling silver (10.0 %) (tip: use a ceramic vessel for exact volume and minimal silver use)
    • 180 (of 600) silver (60.0 %)
    • 120 (of 400) copper (40.0%)

Summary: Blue steel needs 4 times the silver needed for red steel. The numbers above may be further optimized if you use less full ingots or if you decide to store some alloys needed in your ingot room:

• Rose gold
  • Brass
  • Bismuth bronze
  • Sterling silver

You may then create those alloys needed with other optimizations. Maybe Zinc or Bismuth is scarse in your world? I hope you find this guide useful anyway.

Edited by McOrigin

There is an addon that allows you to turn lead into a little bit of silver.

Alchemy!!!!Burn the witch!!!

To the OP...Great post! - well analysed and clearly described.It really shows how much hard work you have to put in to get coloured steel, and how expensive they are on resources.

Extracting Silver from Galena is actually a thing, in real life. Galena is around 3-5% silver as one of it's impurities. Converting Lead into Gold, now that is alchemy!

In an earlier incarnation of TFC, when you melted some ores you actually *did* get the bits of the impurities as well - I assume that was removed for simplicity's sake.

Silver was also to be gleaned by using a gold pan or sluice, but (I assume because it effectively meant that you could skip over copper stuff and go straight to black bronze) it was later changed so that silver no longer popped up.

Silver was also to be gleaned by using a gold pan or sluice, but (I assume because it effectively meant that you could skip over copper stuff and go straight to black bronze) it was later changed so that silver no longer popped up.

And was later added back in for players who have a high prospecting skill.

Wow, I overloocked that in the changelog. I love it! Is there any more detailed information available which ores are to be found later on, or is that intended to be discovered by everyone?

TFC 0.79.0 Changelog

• [*]Added Prospecting and Butchering Skills.
    • Leveling up your prospecting skill will cause less false negatives to occur. It also has a role to play in panning for ores, causing higher tier ores to be available to find. Example: Reaching Adept level unlocks silver to be found from panning.
    • [...]