Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
uwotm8

Doubts regarding support beams

8 posts in this topic

Let's start by saying that I looked for info on the forums and the wiki, not anywhere else, because it has already happened to me to find outdated info which bought me to the disaster. You may say that I could have looked for what I'm going to ask in this topic by surfing on the internet, but I'd rather to be informed by official sources.

First off, if you build a structure like with two horizontal beams connected to the same pair of vertical beams, like the one in the figure below, does it support an additional layer of stone? In the image, I follwed the legend made by Kitty in one of her posts: the black basalt smooth stone is the supported part, the marble white one is the one which would be scanned if the chert block below the beam would be broken, and the andesite grey one is where the two regions overlap.

post-15364-0-10689200-1430565598_thumb.j

This is what I guess, please correct me if I'm wrong.

This brings me to pose another question: is it there any way to mine stone above the beam (the red coloured layer in the image below)? And by safe I mean not having any chance to cause a cave-in. I couldn't find any.

post-15364-0-69140600-1430565590_thumb.j

One last question: are cave-ins triggered by raw stone mining only, or does also cobblestone count as trigger? Thank you in advance.

dunno about the first bit, but regarding your last two questions:

mining up a one block wide shaft is safe, anything else not so much

I'm fairly certain any block update can cause a cave in.

I seem to rmember seeing in the post that you refer to with the different kinds of stones that Kitty stated fairly categorically that it was ONLY raw stone that will trigger this mechanism.  From that I would infer that ore and cobble (and smooth/detailed/chiselled stone) will NOT trigger a cavein.Here's the post to which I was referring:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/8187-7917-getting-too-punishing/?p=106742

1:Yes, every h.beam has its "safe zone". In this case, they overlap and it adds 1 layer of supported blocks.

2:Yes and no. Its never safe to dig "above" the highest h.beam, neither is leaving an "hole" at that height while mining near. It creates an air block below an unsupported block.

However, the risk is very low if you only dig 3 blocks to install a higher support beam.

To lower the risk, build a stair like structure of supports.

Posted Image

Mining directly above your supports will cause it to break if a cavein happens, potentially causing extra FUN.

3: Only raw stone will cause caveins, unless it is chiseled or detailed. Stone containing ores used to be safe, but I don't know if the recent patch changed that.

There is no way to dig up safely. No matter what you do there is always a risk of a cave in.

Only mining normal raw stone will trigger a cave in. Anything else, cobblestone, ore, dirt, gravel, etc will not cause a cave-in.

As for your diagram, I'm very confused what exactly you are asking. For instance, what are you trying to represent with that line of white stone at the top? That's completely outside the range of mining the raw chert block.

Well, thanks for the fast response and the advice everyone. I thought that the "exploit" where chiseling stone could have helped to prevent and protect from cave ins was fixed.

As for the diagram I posted, the white line at the top was a mistake. I meant that that part was no longer protected by the beam, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Also @buzzy613 I heard a lot of people saying that mining a 1×2 shaft was safe, but I'm not sure at all. Even digging the top block first caused silly silly incidents in my recent games.

Prior to 0.79.0, digging a 2x1 shaft was completely safe as long as you mined the top block first, because there was no "scanning" involved and the only block that could be the epicenter of a cave-in was the one that you had just mined. This was changed in 0.79.0 because it wasn't believable behavior.

The "exploit" of chiselling stone to protect from cave-ins has been removed. You can't chisel a raw stone block that has another raw stone block above it. If you want to prevent cave-ins by happening through a chiseled ceiling, you have to chisel the blocks elsewhere, break them, and then place them on your ceiling. You can't do it in place.

the method i use is a bit simpler but works for me with the 79.18 mechanics. i clear a room that is 5 wide by 5 long and 3 tall, putting supports in the corners as i go then connecting them as soon as i can at the top. makes a nice sized room for gathering lots of exposed ore and works for basements as well. hope it works for others as well. ^_^

Edited by Mathias Ademar