Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darvin

Combination of blocks

12 posts in this topic

To add opportunity to combine some different blocks in one, with possibility of their detailed processing. It will allow to create interesting and realistic designs. In an example on the picture, width of a wall turns out in two blocks is a lot of. At the same time it is impossible to place the corresponding home decoration near a wall. 

To add opportunity to process glass also as a stone or a tree.

Posted Image

This is not possible to do in Minecraft. Even the microblocks from other mods that attempt to add this functionality are done in such a hacky way that there is no feasible way to implement it.

would it ever be able to make items stick to detailed blocks like the above posted wall, even if done in a "hackey" way? just curious.

would it ever be able to make items stick to detailed blocks like the above posted wall, even if done in a "hackey" way? just curious.

It's the item that does the check of whether or not it can be placed in certain places or not, so most parts it depends on how this item is written. Overall it IS possible.

Technically, everything is possible when you talk about programming. Cetain things are just not worth doing, due to performance intensity, for example.

Technically, everything is possible when you talk about programming. Cetain things are just not worth doing, due to performance intensity, for example.

Not everything is possible within the limitations of a specific engine. Sure, if you completely rewrite Minecraft's engine and create a brand new game it might be possible, but at that point you are admitting that no, it isn't possible or feasible within the realm of the engine provided.

well the main thing i was curious about was torches. i like the idea of making a detailed block looking like an epic torch mount, but they dont stick. and if i place the torch, then detail it knocks the torch off, for me anyways.

Not everything is possible within the limitations of a specific engine. Sure, if you completely rewrite Minecraft's engine and create a brand new game it might be possible, but at that point you are admitting that no, it isn't possible or feasible within the realm of the engine provided.

It's Java we are talking about. Most of the time you can hack your way through everything in the engine and use most direct and atomic API calls. Hell, we are compiling and rebuilding classes at runtime over here, literally. I've no idea what they actually look like, only the general feeling for them. All languages in JVM stack allow programmer to do those things, unless the runtime is strictly configured to throw tantrums on the slightest suspicion of fishiness.

Sure that's extreme and you don't actually want to do that. But then again, was speaking of programming, not MC engine. I still can't learn to write in it, it just angers me when I try.

I mean, at least three completely different APIs to effing drop an instance of ItemStack, you wot m8?

well the main thing i was curious about was torches. i like the idea of making a detailed block looking like an epic torch mount, but they dont stick. and if i place the torch, then detail it knocks the torch off, for me anyways.

I'm not quite sure which test it does. It's either an isSolidBlock (which detailed ones obviously are not), or isBlockSolidOnSide, which detailed blocks could actually compute and return to allow mounting things on them, I'm not sure devs would do that though.

Edited by transcengopher

I'm not quite sure which test it does. It's either an isSolidBlock (which detailed ones obviously are not), or isBlockSolidOnSide, which detailed blocks could actually compute and return to allow mounting things on them, I'm not sure devs would do that though.

Torches are even different from everything else in that they have their own special conditions that have to be true when they are placed, like a specific method for blocks that's called canPlaceTorchOnTop. I'd have to dig a lot deeper to see about side placement, but it's pretty much all over the place and you can't treat them like everything else.

Bummer. Well the thought is still nice. Lol. Anyways, thanks for the replies. :)

Torches are even different from everything else in that they have their own special conditions that have to be true when they are placed, like a specific method for blocks that's called canPlaceTorchOnTop. I'd have to dig a lot deeper to see about side placement, but it's pretty much all over the place and you can't treat them like everything else.

Would that make three methods, two of which are common, or are we speaking of different API altogether?

@transengopher, In fact, not all things are possible in programming, let me introduce you to Alan Turing and the Halting problem :D. In all honesty I don't think you actually mean that, but your statement reminded me of this, and I thought I would share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

@transengopher, In fact, not all things are possible in programming, let me introduce you to Alan Turing and the Halting problem :D. In all honesty I don't think you actually mean that, but your statement reminded me of this, and I thought I would share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

Sure. There is plenty of those in algorythm theory, if you want to get technical. However, I'm more weighted on the side that we should not actually decide something as undecidable completely, but then I did never actually care enough to see for myself how those proofs made. Because when we are by using our cognition trying to effectively reflect on our cognition, we can never be sure if our reflection results doesn't actually depend on the cognition implementation, if you know what I mean. For short, this still can be caused by model imperfection, as it normally does in physics and such.