Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

Grass Mat Dry Fruit

12 posts in this topic

This is just an idea for an addon. Is made in the hopes that someone with coding skills like it and make it real.

The main concept is to be able to use a grass mat to create sun dried fruits.

Humankind has been drying fruits since stone age. It was a simple way to preserve food for the long winters and also mixed with other ingredients a way to pack food for traveling.

There are several ways that we could achieve this in the game.

The Grass Mat can be made with:

• Regular grass
  • Cat Tails
  • Sea grass
  • Rattan from a Palm Tree (Not yet in tfc)

Weaving the mat:

• Created in the Crafting Grid
  • Using a mini game interface, similar the one in the weaving wool.

The Dry Fruit:

• raisins and other dry fruits stay edible for a long time.

Mechanics:

• Just spread the fruits on top of the grass mat up to 160 oz of any fruit per square mat.
  • How long does it take for the fruit to dry? I think the best is to have a config option, it could be a minimum of 24 hours or even several 15 days.

Weather effects:

• If is raining fruits will not dry and if left under rain will actually spoil faster.
  • Fruits need to be covered with another grass mat in case of rain, this stops the drying process and if left fruits will spoil.

PS: Kitty, I looked around and made searches with the words: grass mat and dry fruit, I found some results mixed up with very different treads, but nothing specific. Also I think this should be developed as an addon. 

Would you expect to be able to use the dried fruit to make vinegar, like fresh fruit? Or once dried is it only usable for food. If so, why not just just use the existing preserving processes?

The weight should shrink, though. No way you could get 160 oz of raisins from 160 oz of grape.

Would you expect to be able to use the dried fruit to make vinegar, like fresh fruit? Or once dried is it only usable for food. If so, why not just just use the existing preserving processes?

As in real life one would harvest fruits, divide on portions for making wine, to be consumed fresh and another to be made into dry fruit. ( There is no need to make vinegar from dry fruit, it is not believable.)

One of the problems I have with the existing preserving process is that is really strange for me to have fruit pickle. Does pickled peach or oranges really exists in real life?

Another issue I have is because barrels are dependent on metal for barrels.

I have no problem on limiting the access to building blocks before you have gotten into the metal age, but food preserving was done long before metallurgy. Without simple ways of preserving food humans would have gone extinct long before reaching metal age.

The weight should shrink, though. No way you could get 160 oz of raisins from 160 oz of grape.

I agree, in most fruits weight is shrieked to one third of the initial.  

Meh, wanted to write that I would simply prefer drying fruits by the existing strings method, as less complicated, but then found this:

It's not a matter of how hard it would be to implement. Historically the only fruits that were traditionally dried were raisins, figs, dates, apricots and apples, and only one of those is actually available in TFC. When we implement a preservation method, we cater it to entire food categories, not towards specific foods within a category. Out of all of the fruits that are in TFC, the majority of them can be found dried today, but that is only because of modern technology that is outside the scope of TFC.

Edited by heptagon_ru

Well I guess it matters more to have the dry fruits them what method of preservation is used. One of the arguments I could throw is that there are more kinds of dry fruit then of pickle fruit. For me pickle is for vegetables not for fruit.List of fruits in tfc: Banana, Cherry, Green Apple, Lemon, Olive, Orange, Peach, Plum, Red Apple.

Of those only lemons and oranges are not made into dry fruit.

As for the list of fruits that were traditionally dry one just need to read more into the wiikipedia page, Here

Traditional dried fruit such as raisins, figs, dates, apricots and apples have been a staple of Mediterranean diets for millennia.

Plumsapricots and peaches had their origins in Asia.[6] They were domesticated in China in the 3rd millennium BC and spread to the Fertile Crescent where they were also very popular, fresh and dried alike. 

As in real life one would harvest fruits, divide on portions for making wine, to be consumed fresh and another to be made into dry fruit. ( There is no need to make vinegar from dry fruit, it is not believable.)One of the problems I have with the existing preserving process is that is really strange for me to have fruit pickle. Does pickled peach or oranges really exists in real life?

You make comment that a proportion of fruit would be used to make wine, then state that making vinegar from fruit from fruit is not believable. It is just a continuation of the process with bacteria that are very very common in the air and our environments. If you mean the second batch of fruit added, yes afaik that isn't actually done, but a step was needed to signal a conversion to vinegar. A real way would be to just leave alcohol in barrel to convert to vinegar. So we'd need way to seal alcohol properly to keep it as alcohol. This is were gameplay comes in. Players would be annoyed if their alcohol kept becoming vinegar. Or if it needed an opening/resealing then transporting booze would possibly result in forgetting to reopen and well open alcohol barrel isn't believable either. Could require players to make a culture, but that specialty knowledge does not tend to make good gameplay. So creative licence was taken. Yes there are and always have been pickled fruit. In my experience the brine used for fruit however was vinegar and sugar. Vinegar and salt would work fine and would make more of a relish. I've had pickled peaches, lemons, apples, banana(did not like these at all) and cherries.

Well I guess it matters more to have the dry fruits them what method of preservation is used. One of the arguments I could throw is that there are more kinds of dry fruit then of pickle fruit. For me pickle is for vegetables not for fruit.List of fruits in tfc: Banana, Cherry, Green Apple, Lemon, Olive, Orange, Peach, Plum, Red Apple.

Of those only lemons and oranges are not made into dry fruit.

As for the list of fruits that were traditionally dry one just need to read more into the wiikipedia page, Here

Traditional dried fruit such as raisins, figs, dates, apricots and apples have been a staple of Mediterranean diets for millennia.

Plumsapricots and peaches had their origins in Asia.[6] They were domesticated in China in the 3rd millennium BC and spread to the Fertile Crescent where they were also very popular, fresh and dried alike. 

You completely missed the point of my quote. Yes there are such things as dried bananas and cherries, but those are only possible thanks to modern technology and preservatives. They did not exist within the timeframe of TFC.

Pickled fruit on the other hand, did exist in the timeframe of TFC. While these aren't historical references, here are the recipes which do not include any crazy modern ingredients that are needed to dry some of these fruits:

http://www.elboricua.com/GuineosEscabecheRE.html

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pickled-cherries-365690

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/pickled-apple-slices

Literally just type "Pickled X" into google and you'll come up with very simple recipes, with old ingredients no matter the fruit.

Please people. I never had the intention of initiating a debate over the merits of pickling.

Responding to the questions:

I said is not believable to make vinegar with dry fruit. You make vinegar with wine from fresh fruits not dry fruits.

As for how common dry fruit was in antiquity, the truth is that people would dry the fruits that they had available, Native Americans would sun dry everything, all kinds of berries and even corn.  The Aztecs used to dry tomatoes. 

Now in the fictional world of tfc we have fruits there actually originated in different parts of the world, but in truth if people had those fruits available they would dry then in an attempting to preserve.

Now all that is actually irrelevant. TFC is what the Dev's want it to be. I am OK with that.

I started this post in the addons section, because I do not believe the Dev's will add it to the game. Is just an idea I had, and it was historically used by all prehistorical societies. 

I want a way to preserve fruit that is not dependent on metals, that's it.

I really think is a good idea, is believable and if implemented the right way it will not be OP. 

I will now invoke the only help if you can be helpful rule.

So if you like this idea and want to help develop a addon please post here. If you do not want to have this added to the game, do not worry, this is an idea for an addon.

Peace and love. 

Djakuta,

I think your idea of a drying mat is great. The idea to dry fruits and make them last longer seems like a Believable idea and one that is worth exploring.

I have completed what I hope is an acceptable solution to your suggestion and hope to release it in the next few days. I want to load it on my server and test it out extensively first.

1. I have used a thatch mat, instead of grass. You use a knife on a thatch block to get two drying mats.

2. I have included all fruits to the drying process.

3. While the fruit is drying, the decay rate is set to 3/4.

4. If it rains on the drying mat, any fruit will decay at 3 times the rate (spoils quicker), this also includes dried fruits.

5. Once the fruit has completed drying, the quantity is halved and the taste profile is doubled.

6. Dried fruit looks the same as the normal fruit, just adds 'Dried' to the start of the fruit name.

7. I have also implemented a recipe system behind it, so adding other items to be dried can be done without to much fuss.

I am also in the process of creating a user guide for it.

When I am done, you can download the addon from my mod post - Udary Mod in the Addons section.

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was hopping.

Looking forward to have the addon in our server, I believe all players will love it.

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was hopping.

Looking forward to have the addon in our server, I believe all players will love it.

All done. The new version of my mod (0.2.21) with the new drying mat has been released. I hope you like it - enjoy.

My mod page is here.

Edited by Bletch