Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AwesoMan3000

[Solved - Vanilla Bug] Extremely annoying lighting bug

15 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the support forum? (Yes/No):

Yes, many times

TFC Version #: 0.79.18.673

Forge Version #: 1.7.10.10.13.2.1291

SSP/SMP (SinglePlayer/MultiPlayer): CSP and SSP

Description: 

Have you deleted your config files or are using default configs and are still able to reproduce this bug? (Yes/No): 

yes

Do you have any mods other than Forge and TFC installed? (Yes/No): No

After stair chiselling some wooden planks, this lighting glitch happens and will not go away even if a light source is nearby:

Posted Image

The stair on the left is slightly darker than the rest of the blocks, almost unnoticeably, however the ones opposite them look like chiselled coal blocks.

After experimenting with vanilla stairs blocks I cannot replicate the bug. With a Creative mode chisel and the same block I can. In two directions, the slight darkening appears. On one, the coal block effect happens. Interestingly, on the last axis it darkens severely, however when a nearby block updates it becomes normally lit.

This bug only occurs on nonsmooth lighting; I cannot use smooth lighting on my computer because then the game runs at about 1 frame per century D:

Edited by AwesoMan3000

This happens to me too, same version of forge and TFC. I didn't post it here, cause I thought it's an issue with my graphics card, but it looks like I'm not alone in this. Generally, I get the coal block effect if I try to chisel block to stairs and the block has another block in certain direction.

I remember a similar bug in vanilla pocket edition where part of the stairs (the bit with the bit cut out of it) would darken when facing a barrier block. Likely related to this.

Since stairs are made differently in TFC, it probably doesn't matter where the darkening source is

I do believe this is a vanilla bug. Do you have smooth lighting turned on or off? Please switch the option to the opposite of what you currently have it set to and see if the bug still happens.

Yes, I did have smooth lighting turned off. Since the game runs terribly with it on

Turn it on and just leave it at the very lowest setting. That should not have any noticeable effect on performance unless your computer was just barely able to run the non-smooth lighting engine.

Have you heard about this? I don't know why, but extinguished torches still have light. This could be vanilla too, but interesting.

That's client-side from the block not properly getting an update. We know about it, but it probably won't get fixed for TFC because it would likely break all existing torches in worlds that update.

That's client-side from the block not properly getting an update. We know about it, but it probably won't get fixed for TFC because it would likely break all existing torches in worlds that update.

Not even with a big WARNING sign? :D

How couldn't update something if it's already in a state? Or that's the point? Basically TFC load the block itself as it is - like torch -, but doesn't care about it's state until blockupdate?

It's hard to explain. When a torch burns out, we update its metadata. This is instantly obvious because the texture of the block changes, and textures for rendering a block are checking the metadata and deciding which texture to use quite frequently. The flag on the block for which light value it should output isn't necessarily instantly updated just because the metadata of the block changed. There's also the possibility that the flag has updated, but the lighting engine hasn't checked that block recently to realize it changed. Forcing a block update by either breaking the torch, or relighting it, or placing a block next to it however is much more likely to force everything else including the lighting engine to rescan for all the flags and calculate what spots get lit up and what spots are dark.

The method that we use for updating the torch when it burns out is called setBlockMetadataWithNotify, which in theory should be doing the forced block update and recalculating everything, but for whatever reason it doesn't. If a different method is found for just changing the metadata that consistently actually does all the recalculations, then we could fix the bug without breaking all existing torches in a world. Otherwise, the solution is just to create a completely separate block for burned out torches, and instead change the entire block, instead of just the metadata of the block, using methods that we know will properly force block updates and recalculate everything. There may possibly be a way to do the new block method without breaking all existing torches in a game, but it would most likely be a pretty messy implementation that isn't worth the effort to fix such a minor bug.

The confusing part is, upon testing with vanilla stairs, they don't go dark even facing the same axis

Why is that confusing? TFC stairs are handled completely differently from vanilla. Vanilla is a single block, TFC is essentially a bunch of microblocks making a stair.

I understand that, but why it goes dark is the confusing bit.

Because of how it renders. The same thing occurs for microblocks. Vanilla stairs are a single block. TFC stairs are a combination of 8 blocks (for stair mode, it is 512 in detailed) in various combinations. Each block must be drawn. Odd things happen with lighting engine with this without smooth lighting on.

I ran into this bug today. As soon as I chiseled a block into a stair, it turned pitch black. Turning on smooth lighting, even to the lowest setting, fixed it.