Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
teiwaz

[0.79.?] Progression flowchart

20 posts in this topic

There was some discussion on making a flowchart in the Wiki Edits thread.  I decided to take a shot at it since it seemed fun.

So without further ado, here's a progression flowchart for TFC!

This flowchart is by no means done yet, but I've made an in-progress snapshot to hear any thoughts or suggestions about it.

I'm aiming to provide a clear overview picture of progression in TFC.  Trying to add in too much detail makes the flowchart unmanageably complex, so I'm also balancing how much detail to add and how much to trim away.

TODO

• Food
  • Livestock
  • Miscellaneous items
  • Color paths to make crossings less ambiguous

Changelog

v0.4 2015-06-14

• Finished smithing stuff.
  • Added Quern recipes.
  • Rerouting.

v0.3 2015-06-11

• Use new mapping software (automatically generated -> manual).
  • Clean up flowchart so now it's actually usable, at the expense of removing some detail.

v0.2 2015-06-09

• Added a few images.
  • Added legend.
  • Added ages.
  • Added more content.

post-18291-0-93615500-1434322113_thumb.p

Edited by teiwaz

Add food gathering? You cannot do all that without half-starving OR eating ;)

Add food gathering? You cannot do all that without half-starving OR eating ;)

I'm sure I'll add it at some point, but food gathering isn't important in terms of progressing.  It doesn't enable more tech or require any tech.  (Banana swords and bacon maces, anyone?)

Banana swords and bacon maces, anyone?)

victory never tasted so good. :P

Edited by Mathias Ademar

I'm sure I'll add it at some point, but food gathering isn't important in terms of progressing.  It doesn't enable more tech or require any tech.  (Banana swords and bacon maces, anyone?)

Isn't necessary - yes. Important? I'm not sure I agree.

I tend to start with farming before going fully into tech, especially when I play on a server and have to bear in mind that every time I log in, the season will change. A dozen barrels of various pickled foods (vegetables, fruits and proteins), plus several triangles of cheese and some grain allow me to concentrate fully on mining and constructing, instead of going hunting and gathering every so often.

Maybe "how to get a larder full of food" should be a separate flowchart, with cross-referenced points, like quern, firepit, barrels and wooden buckets (or simply saying at which point you need to be in casting age to progress with food).

Isn't necessary - yes. Important? I'm not sure I agree.

I tend to start with farming before going fully into tech, especially when I play on a server and have to bear in mind that every time I log in, the season will change. A dozen barrels of various pickled foods (vegetables, fruits and proteins), plus several triangles of cheese and some grain allow me to concentrate fully on mining and constructing, instead of going hunting and gathering every so often.

Maybe "how to get a larder full of food" should be a separate flowchart, with cross-referenced points, like quern, firepit, barrels and wooden buckets (or simply saying at which point you need to be in casting age to progress with food).

Pickling requires metal for a saw for barrels, so that will be in the flowchart.

The point of a flowchart as opposed to a guide is that it leaves the decision-making ultimately up to the player.  If they want to live life on the starvation edge while pursuing tech, that's certainly possible, and vice versa.  I'm just laying out the hard dependencies that are required for making a certain item or doing a certain task.

I think it would benefit greatly from some basic reorganization. Instead of curved lines use squared lines, and bundle lines coming from the same source. It also helps to align shapes to some kind of grid.

Posted Image

Note how chisel attaches to smooth stone, pickaxe to both smooth and raw stone, and smooth and raw stone to the quern. If you switch smooth and raw stone around, the arrow from chisel to smooth stone won't intersect the arrow between pickaxe and raw stone. Shuffeling techniques like that will help simplefy the diagram.

Version v0.3

https://d.maxfile.ro/bamazxknaj.png

I was using a graph generator to deal with TFC's complexity, but I think that's unmanageable in the long run, so I've switched to doing the layout manually.  Unfortunately that still doesn't solve the fundamental complexity problem, so I'll start dropping some details, like how Querns depend on sticks.

Maybe split it. A flowchart of tech/tools and one of raw materials.

I definitely think that both Graphite and Kaolinite should be shown as requirements for fire clay, since they're such specific requirements. Also, the crucible isn't necessary until you want to make steel with a blast furnace. The bloomery tech for wrought iron also needs to be included.

Edit: So Bronze Forging -> Bloomery -> Wrought Iron Anvil -> Wrought Iron Forging + Crucible -> Blast Furnace -> Steel -> Colored Steels

Edited by Kittychanley

Nice reorganisation, much easier to follow.

Charcoal isn't a strict requirement for a forge since it can be formed and fuelled with coal.

Seems to imply a bellows, crucible and fire bricks are prerequisites of a wrought iron anvil - or that wrought iron isn't :)

Also, you *can*  get glass by using a forge (is faster than firepit)

otherwise looks great.

Edited by ChunkHunter

how is the progress of the flow chart going? im saving wiki pages for offline use and i would love to get an updated version of this chart, as i feel it is quite useful.

You should add crucible to medium tier smelting. What does it mean, anyway?

Unless I'm mistaken, making leather requires at least 3 barrels. This flowchart makes it look like leather and bellows can be had without metal tools, which leads to barrels. I suggest moving leather to under barrel technology.

Can't you make leather using large ceramic vessels?

hey, you sure can!

I went and tried, thanks to your question. As I got set up I had a flash of memory - I'd done this before, a couple years back. I remembered why I thought you couldn't do it was that tannin would not be produced in the vessel. However, now I realize I probably used one of the woods that doesn't make tannin, but for all this time I thought it wasn't possible. Thanks!

On 5/15/2017 at 10:45 AM, Bihlbo said:

Unless I'm mistaken, making leather requires at least 3 barrels. This flowchart makes it look like leather and bellows can be had without metal tools, which leads to barrels. I suggest moving leather to under barrel technology.

or you could just empty it and fill it with the next ingrediant needed after completing a step