Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
teiwaz

Add more uses for Bone (Meal)

9 posts in this topic

Preface: I did search the forums.  There are a number of posts that are related to this topic, but they are all very old and not exactly the same thing as this, so I made a new thread to prevent necro and spamming general hand-wavy suggestion threads.

Currently Bones have two uses (correct me if I'm wrong): Stick replacement for stone tools and ground into Bone Meal as a dye.

Considering that Bones drop a lot when butchering animals and that bones were historically very useful parts of animals (for food, tools, fertilizer, animal feed, jewelry, the list goes on), I think Bones deserve more functionality in TFC.

Possible uses:

• As fertilizer
    • Bone Meal directly as fertilizer, perhaps less efficient than Sylvite for balance.
    • Make Sylvite grind into Sylvite Powder, and add recipe for Sylvite Powder + Bone Meal = Fertilizer.
  • As livestock feed
    • Bone Meal as alternative livestock feed.
    • Bone Meal accelerates livestock growth.
    • Bone Meal increases livestock size for butchering.
  • As food
    • Bones used to make Broth, which can then be used to make Soup or Stew, as another alternative to prepared food alongside Salads and Sandwiches.
    • Cooked or processed into Bone Marrow as a food.  Very small amounts per bone, provides Protein.
  • As fuel?
    • Alternative fuel for firepits that burns at lower temperature.  (There is evidence of bones being used like this in places where firewood is scarce.  There needs to be roughly equal proportion of bones and firewood.)
  • As bone char https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_char
    • Bone char can be used as black dye.
    • Bone char added as requirement to process sugar.
  • As tools/weapons
    • As arrowhead
    • Bones used as an alternative or replacing rocks in the recipe for Arrows, making arrows either more or less expensive.
    • Bones used to make Bone Tipped Arrows, does more damage than regular Arrows.  (For balance, perhaps make Bone Arrows do the current amount of arrow damage and make regular arrows do less damage.)
  • Bone as alternative to Stone for making tool heads.

Hmm... sounds interesting. The livestock feed idea is a little unrealistic though.

Hmm... sounds interesting. The livestock feed idea is a little unrealistic though.

Actually that's a RL thing, although a bit controversial in certain species for disease reasons from what I understand. It was very common to grind up bones to feed to chickens back in the day.  Calcium for egg shells. 

However Teiwaz didn't mention (maybe it was covered in the long-ago posts) what I think is the most obvious use for bones - making bone blocks for the bone throne/Sedlec Ossuary :-D. It'd also be pretty awesome if they could be used like planks (maybe 3x1 insteam of 1x1, to allow for a vaguely believeable bone texture?)

Edited by Darmo

Everything there sounds get, except for the livestock like the other guy said. I like where you were going with the tools though. Maybe have javelin heads and arrow heads knapped from bone? Native Americans use to do that :P

Not sure historic use, but bones are ground up and used in livestock feed in modern times.

Bone blocks and bone planks do not make sense in my opinion.

Bones should be able to be turned into flux - at a smaller rate (maybe one bone plus hammer in crafting grid = 1 flux), because Terrafirmacraft biomes are very large and there are only 4 types of flux stone, not counting borax in rock salt. I personally have had a lot of trouble finding flux stone and if this were implemented I believe it would be a very good addition!

Edited by cybernation

Flux had very specific properties chemical . Bone are not flux.

Bone blocks and bone planks do not make sense in my opinion.

I think they do - as a crafts thing, statues and the like, I think it would look neat given proper texture. But this is more suitable to be an addon.

It might be neat to build an ossiary, but apart from that a bit gruesome :)