Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pyr0mrcow

Vessel-holding limit

3 posts in this topic

I haven't seen this in particular suggested anywhere, but thought it'd fit well with the discussions of encouraging the use of alternative item movement methods, such as donkeys and carts.

At the moment, the inventory can be expanded massively using Small Vessels, to the point that entire surface regions or cave systems can be plundered in one go, barely leaving a scrap. There's not much to encourage a variety of playstyles; trading back and forth/working together seems to have little benefit in a server environment, considering the amount of different focuses that a travel trip can take with the available carrying capacity. I could see gatherers of specific materials being as valuable as their crafters, but not with how easy it is for one person to take on every job. Barrels/Large Vessels, for on-the-go storage purposes, aren't really that impactful; they add some extra space, but considering how many Small Vessels you can carry even without one, the effect is small.

I won't pretend that this will make everything perfect, but what about adding slots for Small Vessels, like the back slot for Large Vessels/Barrels? I was thinking that 6 would look pretty good surrounding the player's waist, as if on a belt.If in the normal inventory, a slowness debuff could be applied, like the unable-to-move penalty for carrying a back-slot item in the normal inventory, but less severe. This would give more value to Barrels/Large vessels for being able to carry more Small Vessels without slowing the holder down, and more value to alternative transport options, not requiring but encouraging a player to explore those aspects of the game. On large servers, traveling merchant-type players could become valuable.

Any thoughts?

Since the devs would like people to play mod and so try not to make it a huge grind this is very unlikely to be concidered. If this is something you desire for your server then there are things you could do to accomplish this. First otho's custom item mod lets you change max stack size. Reduce all key item stacks to 1/4. Then you reduce the carrying capacity but maintain need for clay. It could also be possible to use the mod that reduces inventory slots to reduce player slots when a vessel is in their inventory.

I certainly don't agree with you that the inventory capacity has a large negative effect on servers and player cooperation. The biggest hurdle to economies and player cooperation are the players. MC and especially TFC draws the do it all yourself, Kingdom building, hoarding type personalities who don't support these as well as they could.

I am in agreement with Bunsan about the limiting factor being the community.  However, I do not see inventory capacity limits, even realistic ones, being necessarily incompatible with doing it all yourself, KIngdom building, hoarding type personalities.  Look at a game like Project Zomboid, for example.  It has fairly realistic inventory capacity, and it is more than possible to "do it all yourself" and hoard.  Perhaps "Kingdom building" as it is currently in MC and this mod  isn't nearly as easily doable in games like PZ, but I feel that building a believable kingdom (if that matters to people) is impossible with having an inventory system as we have currently in this mod, let alone MC.Inventory management only becomes a grind when the difficulties imposed by such management come with no meaningful, immersive gameplay feature attached to it and highlight the limitations of the game.  For example, if we just had limited inventories (via reduced slots in the inventory or altered stack sizes) with no other change to the game as it is now, or even having weight based carrying capacity, it would be a grind.  There would be no way to make transporting stuff substantially easier and do so in a non-contrived way... other than maybe those obscenely expensive minecarts and rails... but then you would start asking yourself, why couldn't I just push a larger cart made out of wood without rails?  Start adding the ability to have animal-drawn carts, wheelbarrows, etc., (things to craft to make things easier, which is half of what this game is all about, no?!) then I think inventory limitations become a meaningful gameplay feature that many people would still appreciate.  It would add some much needed difficulty to survival, in my opinion.Also, Bunsan, sure... Pyr0mrcow could just download those mods you mention.  But what mod is there that has carts, barrows, and the like that would make this not a grind that constantly reminds you of the limitations of the game?

As for my thoughts about the OP's specific suggestion...  I think it is a fantastic idea.  I will mention Project Zomboid again.  It has a brilliant and elegant inventory system, and it has some stuff implemented similar to your idea.  In PZ, you can carry a limited number of supplemental containers with you which effectively reduce the weight of whatever is put within it up to whatever the capacity is of the container.  The "slots" the containers can be assigned to include the hands and back.  So, if I remember correctly, you can only carry one thing on your back, as well as at least one bag on each hand, and I think maybe a few containers on the body.  And you can put containers in containers, but the weight reduction is lost (I think... I know this feature is not exploitable and they figured it out).  Also, they really streamlined the system to make inventory management not at all frustrating.  It is certainly much less frustrating than things are in this game, not to mention much more robust and future-proof.  For example (and this is slightly OT), with the way PZ handles stacking, the problem in TFC about not being able to melt bronze alongside copper and tin in the same crucible is actually solveable without exploit.  But that is for another topic...

Edited by Andeerz