Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darmo

Doors vs zombies

8 posts in this topic

So part of this suggestion (re: charcoal pits) was touched here:

I'm pretty new at this game, and I realize a lot of realism makes way for convenience.  But there is a clear tiered structure to the metal progression, which brings benefits.  I'm still in the early game of my first real playthrough (still on brass).  But I did watch a lot of lets plays before getting it.  One thing I saw in those was the charcoal room.  I thought it was pretty great that charcoal pits in the old sense - a dirt mound - were in the game.  But having watched LPs with Charcoal rooms, I did an old fashioned one for the hell of it, and then I made a masonry charcoal room with a door, like most people. 

This go me thinking, about doors.  Logically that door should burn down if the logs in the room are lit on fire.  Logic is not the end-all of this game, sure, but benefits for metal are. What if *wooden* doors would burn, making them useles for a charcoal room, but a metal door (1 door + 2 metal sheets) made it fire-proof.  I thought that might force the player to do a bit more old-fashioned charcoal pitting in the beginning, rather than going straight to charcoal room....Ok, so probably people would just use blocks in the doorway and take them down when the room is done.  Slightly less convenient, but probably arguably more convenient than the old fashioned way. 

Edit: This has not been true since build 0.79. Busan.

So then, what if zombies with weapons can break down wood doors?  Another incentive for metal doors.  Zombies could only beat down a door with a weapon of at least the same tier, but it takes awhile.  Higher tier weapons make it take less time. I'm not sure of the frequency of zombie-with-weapon spawns.  It seems pretty low right now, so it might not be too bad for early game. 

Please keep the threads to one suggestion per topic. I'm not labelling this as breaking a rules simply because your one suggestion is based on invalid information. Although I renamed it to remove the charcoal pit portion.Please be sure your information is current. As of build 79 (which is about 9 months old now) doors burn and are not a valid part of a charcoal pit. There are vanilla iron doors and metal trapdoors.As for zombies breaking doors. They use vanilla AI and can't recognise TFC doors. It is possible, but unlikely to be introduced in This version of TFC. It may be possible to get this behaviour using the mob properties mod, but I didn't have any luck with this. As for the tool tier to door tier, that would be quite a bit more complex and not really worth the effort in my opinion.

Well, I figured my single suggestion was metal plated doors.  I was just covering a couple ways I thought it would affect the world.  I guess I could have titled it better.

I'm using build 79.18 and you CAN use doors on your charcoal pit.  You just can't light it from the doorway.  I've successfully used it by lighting it through a hole in the roof, and also a hole in the wall, plugging each with a single block of dirt.  Worked like a charm both times and did not burn the door.  Your torch holes have to be at least two blocks away from the door though I think - I tried it through a wall hole right by the door and that also caught the door on fire.

Could you please post a screenshot of your charcoal pit setup? I just tested a whole bunch of different ones, and the doors properly burn down as intended every time the charcoal pit is lit. If your doors aren't burning, that's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Edit: Are you using the vanilla wooden door? The TFC wooden doors that are crafted with 6 pieces of lumber, and not plank blocks burn just fine. Vanilla doors aren't flammable, and there's really nothing we can do to fix that other than disable their crafting recipe, because even if we add the fire info to them the same way we do with the TFC doors, they still don't burn properly.

Edited by Kittychanley

Definitely TFC door - I got it to burn several times during my testing.  I've never even played vanilla so I don't know any of those recipes.  I'll get some screenshots tonight but it's just a 5x5x2 high interior space, brick on all sides.  Door in one wall, to the right of center, move two blocks over, remove the upper brick so you have a hole into the room.  Fill room except for the one spot in front of hole in wall, toss in torch, place dirt when flames start (so the dirt is inside the room, leaving there still a hole in the brick wall, this means there's 49 stacks of wood in the room rather than 50) --> profit.  I make sure the door is closed before I toss in the torch.  Should I start a topic in the bug forum for this or just continue in this thread?

Update to the latest version of TFC as well as the version of forge that it was built on, and then try running your charcoal pit again. If the door still doesn't burn, and the charcoal pit successfully completes, create a post in the support forum and include all the screenshots there.

Edit: The bug has been found, and fixed for 79.21, there is no need to make a bug report.

Edited by Kittychanley

Dang, spent all that time last night and this afternoon testing, removing the 3 mods I had, doing a creative mode build, trying to make sure I had as much info as possible.  Come here to post the report and bam you already found it.  You guys are good.   Good to know it wasn't me messing something up, anyway.

Dang, spent all that time last night and this afternoon testing, removing the 3 mods I had, doing a creative mode build, trying to make sure I had as much info as possible.  Come here to post the report and bam you already found it.  You guys are good.   Good to know it wasn't me messing something up, anyway.

When the new version is released, it would still be greatly appreciated if you could rerun all of your testing to make sure that the bug has been properly fixed. :)