Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
pickletato

Better Tropics

12 posts in this topic

I personally think that the tropics really need some improving. There is just such a lack of things there compared to the rest of the world. More trees such as palm trees should be added to break up the forests made of only Kapok and Acacia, and new fruits like pineapples, coconuts, or mangos would also be nice

Support

Definitely one of the most underdeveloped areas of the mod. Normally you'd expect a rainforest to teem with life, insects and birds buzzing about and vines and flowers dangling from the thick canopy, but no. In short, we need better jungles.

Not sure if the Dev's are considering adding any more trees, or fruit trees now. But in any case it would be nice to have Palm trees for coconuts and Big Mango trees.

At least we don't have Kapok producing cacao in tfc. They are 2 totally different trees. If we wanted another tall tree for forests it would be the Brazilian nut tree, is huge often reaching 160 ft tall.

from:http://www.thestoryofchocolate.com/Where/content.cfm?ItemNumber=3299

Cacao trees are delicate plants that live in the understory of tropical forests and require other, taller trees to shelter them from wind and sun. These petite trees top out at 60 feet tall in the wild (although most grow only 20 to 40 feet high), shielded from wind and sun by hardwoods and other trees that stretch as high as 200 feet.

IIRC, Kapok produce cotton-like fruits? Cacao trees produce cacao.

Never been to the equators in TFC, but, yeah, give some love for the tropical flora. To add more: rambutan, durian, jackfruit, starfruit, persimmon, pome.

IIRC, Kapok produce cotton-like fruits? Cacao trees produce cacao.Never been to the equators in TFC, but, yeah, give some love for the tropical flora. To add more: rambutan, durian, jackfruit, starfruit, persimmon, pome.

And Mango, Tamarind,

But for the aesthetic point of view the only wood block missing is Ebony, as we currently do not have black wood. 

I think that a cicada background sound, like the crickets and frogs, would fit in well in a jungle. Cicadas are common in hot areas.

Yes! I want to be able to live in a treehouse in the thick canopy layer, putting my head above it and seeing the splendour of flowers and leaves, and walk and climb in the shade of the foliage and pick its fruits and honey. Make this happen

I think that a cicada background sound, like the crickets and frogs, would fit in well in a jungle. Cicadas are common in hot areas.

Hell, cicadas are common in temperate areas in summer. I can hear them buzzing away right now. I wouldn't mind if any cicada noises in TFC were restricted to the equator, though, it'd be a nice location-limited feature.

Hell, cicadas are common in temperate areas in summer. I can hear them buzzing away right now. I wouldn't mind if any cicada noises in TFC were restricted to the equator, though, it'd be a nice location-limited feature.

They're everywhere here in Alabama this time of year. There's so many the sound of em all is enough to drive you crazy. They only come out in the hot, humid weather. They would be great in a dense kapok/acacia forest.

I would almost prefer the sounds of tucans, monkies, kookaburra, you know, things you won't hear around the world, just jungles and such. It would be easy enough to implement, but we already have cicada noises in game. As long as it's a seperate sound file though, I would be happy, as I could just modify it on my resource pack to what I would want, assuming I did not like what was implemented. A flowering vine verity would be nice as well, it would have the same qualitys of normal vines, just a different texture.

I think the tropics would be greatly improved by a savannah biome.  Having just started a multiplayer server with spawn at about z1200, it seems like about 90% of what's between z +-6000 is jungle.  Which is challenging.  But a bit tedious.  More desert and savannah would break it up and give some variety.

I was so traumatized by the eternal deserts in the previous built that the Acacia and Kapok forests were for sure welcomed. I will agree though that we could have some variety and a Savanna Biome would Achieve that.

As far as sound files they would be great and one way would be to tie to specific vegetation and other conditions, like for example the way we have the frog sound now.

As much as cicada sounds would add ambiance they would be really annoying if it was to play no stop day and night in the whole forest.