Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Miner239

[Added] Reconsider the Suggestion forum rule

8 posts in this topic

As it is now, I am very confused with the rules. Rule 1 & 2 are conflicting. One says you should just post your new idea to a slightly different thread, but it is another suggestion that is worth a thread on its own.

They are not conflicting.

Rule 1 is that you should check to see if anyone has posted the same or similar ideas previously. If they have then you should post your thoughts etc in that thread instead of posting a new topic. So if you have an idea related to archery then post it in archery overhaul thread instead of starting a new one.

If in you search the only threads are very old and have not had an action for a good while and are significantly different than your idea, then starting a new one and providing a link to any old relevant thread is fine.

Rule 2 is if your suggestion is about archery, but you have a suggestion about animal carts, post them in seperate threads. If a thread is about archery don't post a suggestion or steer the discussion to something that does not relate to archery.

This rule links into rule 1 as how can anyone find previous suggestions if they are buried in amongst other unrelated threads. For example there are so many threads that go on tangents and discuss the same points about animal carts. Then when someone posts yet another new thread on animal carts it is frustrating tracking down where it was discussed to link for them.

If in you search the only threads are very old and have not had an action for a good while and are significantly different than your idea, then starting a new one and providing a link to any old relevant thread is fine.

Oh, so say I have some thoughts on chemistry significantly more detailed than previous posts, which are a year old anyway, I can start a new thread and put links to those old threads?  Would have been good to know before I necro'd an old thread.  But I guess if that was in the rules everyone would just think their idea is 'significantly different' and start a new topic anyway.

Pretty much exactly what Bunsan said.

Rule #1: If you want to make a suggestion about topic A, and there is already a suggestion about topic A, then you should add your suggestion as a reply to that topic, and not create a new one.

Rule #2: If you want to make a suggestion about topic A, topic B, and topic C, which are not actually related, do not put them all into one post.

Example 1: I want to make a suggestion about animal carts. Rather than create a new topic, I should reply to one of the existing topics that already suggest it.

Example 2: I want to make a suggestion about animal carts, archery, and being able to go to the moon. I should not create one new topic that talks about all three. I should create separate topics for each, but still follow rule #1 and therefore reply to the existing topic about animal carts with the animal cart suggestion, reply to the existing topic about archery with my archery section, and then create a new topic that just talks about going to the moon since there aren't any existing suggestions for that topic.

Edit: I have changed the title of Rule #2 to instead say "Do not post suggestions about multiple topics in one thread. Keep each thread to a single general topic."

It means the same thing, but might be a bit easier to understand.

Edited by Kittychanley

Whoops, I think I misled some of you.

What I mean is... look at my 'large vessel' thread. I don't really know whether it should be in its own thread just because it's a thread for large vessels being able to store grains as liquids or merge it with 'cooking improvement'(?) thread because it has cooking in it, but then it's about the added mechanics in large vessels and cooking them, but I still want it separate so as to focus on the large vessel part.

If there is an existing thread that's super broad and covers a lot of different topics all related to each other, like with cooking, and you have a suggestion that is a lot more specific and narrowed down to just one mechanic, you can create an individual thread for it, so that it doesn't get lost in the broadness of the other one.

If you're suggesting a different way to do something that another thread has already suggested, then please post in that thread. For example, if a topic suggests a new way to bake bread with some sort of oven, and you want to suggest a different way to bake bread and your suggestion is more specific and provides further details, we would still prefer it as a reply to the original topic, and not as a new one. That way if we come to a point where as developers we think "Hmm, maybe we should add a new way to bake bread" we can find all of the suggestions related to that in one topic, and not have to dig through pages and pages of the suggestions forum.

Hmm. Thanks for the reply, Kitty.

Can the broad threads be hubs that people can discuss ideas and post link for those who have a narrower focus?

Sure, I think that would be fine.