Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TaeoG

Taeo's WIP addons - TerraThaumcraft, TTFCAPI, TTFCMat

722 posts in this topic

Surprise Stat Holiday Update!
Included in the still very alpha update:

• Craft-able shards! Grind mined rough shards into powder on the quern, mix with water in a barrel or vessel, then throw a seed crystal (of the right element) in and seal it for 8 hours!
    • a "seed crystal" is any rough shard of any quality, or a full shard. 
    • 32 powder + 5L of fresh water + 1 seed crystal = 5 Shards
    • Warning: Whatever crystal you use as a catalyst will be lost, so save some of those small ones to use for this
  • Placeable Greatwood and Silverwood lumber 

Not a huge update, but the ability to acquire shards will make a big difference in the usability of this mod crossover.

TerraThaumcraft A0.3 Download

Update!

New in this version:

• You will find some new items craftable with alchemical manufacturing, although the aspects required may be hard/impossible to acquire at the moment. More to come soon!
  • The infernal furnace is complete! what does it do?
    • Any bare ingot, unfinished armor, sheet, etc that you would need to work on an anvil will be heated up to just below melting, for easy welding and maximum hammer time
    • Unshaped ingots, whole or in part, will be brought up to Brilliant white, or 300 degrees above its melting point, whichever is higher. For all TFC metals, Brilliant white is hot enough, but who knows what the future will bring
    • Food will be cooked. It will come out at a random cooked level and random flavour profile, but you can't burn it! (Disclaimer: it may be a little burned, fire elementals aren't really chefs)
    • Since metals can be thrown in continually every time they cool down, they don't give extra metal. Food will only cook once, however, so I may add a little extra food popping out in the future
    • All normal furnace items from vanilla minecraft and other mods will still work
    • WARNING: Do not throw completed armor, and other metal items that cannot be heated normally, in the infernal furnace. They won't come back out. This is the normal behaviour of the furnace, that will destroy items it can't do anything with.

TerraThaumcraft A0.4

Edited by TaeoG
Also updated and cleaned up the OP. Added a bit of info as well

As an aside, I made the infernal furnace craftable with TFC lava, but I'm aware that leaves it as a fairly late game construction, as getting lava is quite involved in TFC. I'm happy with this, but I'm looking for feedback.

As always, I'm looking for feedback on any of the other completed features as well.

I think lava is a good idea, considering the full functionality of the infernal furnace. Would seem a touch op otherwise from my perspective.

I don't mind lava but do you have to insert it manually or can you place it over a lava source block. That would spice up exploration.

1 hour ago, CALEBXD101 said:

I don't mind lava but do you have to insert it manually or can you place it over a lava source block. That would spice up exploration.

The lava is part of a multiblock structure, so you could build the furnace in the lava and it would work, though I haven't tested personally.

That is correct. The infernal furnace is a 27 cubic meter structure made mostly of nether bricks and obsidian. Constructing one without being able to manipulate lava isn't impossible by any means, but it would be tricky.

well, I wanted to have another update out today, but after 8 hours of dealing with rendering issues with a simple block, I'm calling it a night. I don't know why this render code won't work, it's something as simple as rendering a semi transparent texture on top of the block texture on one side. Should be like 2 lines of code, but instead after fighting with it all night it still acts completely bizarre. In one chunk it will render fine, but go into the next chunk over or a few block up or down and it doesn't render at all, or maybe renders super dark for no reason. I have no idea what's going on, but I'm writing it down here in the hopes that explaining it will help me figure it out.

so far, no luck

I've solved the rendering bug.  I'm going to write the solution here in case I come across it again and forget how I fixed it, or on the off chance somebody else stumbles across this thread while googling to fix the same issue. Nothing more annoying than searching for an answer on the internet only to find a forum post where someone says "lol fixd it" and never explains how.

Anyone who's first learning how to write a custom renderer for a block is bound to come across the "multi-pass rendering" tutorial on the minecraft forge wiki. It describes a method of overriding the Block.canRenderInPass method to always return true, allowing your render code to render something in the opaque pass, AND in the transparent pass. It works, but is flawed for one simple reason, and that reason is what caused my problem

Essentially minecraft rendering works like this:

The loaded world is split into 16x16x16 block chunks. Also, there are 2 rendering passes that I mentioned before, the first one for full, opaque blocks, and the second for transparent blocks. If there are no blocks in the chunk, the rendering code isn't called. If there are no opaque blocks, but there are transparent ones like ice, then only the second pass is done. And, naturally, if there is nothing but full, opaque blocks in the chunk, only the first pass is done. 

Here's where the problem lies. Minecraft doesn't seem to use the "canRenderInPass" method when determining which passes should run in a chunk, but instead uses the "getRenderBlockPass" method. So the way laid out in the wiki works only when there are both transparent and full opaque blocks in the chunk, otherwise part of the block won't get rendered.

What most modders seem to do, when they want to render a transparency over their block, is just to render the whole block in the second pass, opaque and transparent parts alike, which works fine.

On 7/30/2016 at 8:58 AM, TaeoG said:

there is a link to the very first alpha build a page or two ago in one of my posts, and there likely will be a newer release later today :^)
I would recommend strongly against running it on an established server, the release is just a teaser more than anything, 

I know that you said not to try running your mod on a server, but I had to give it a try anyways. Unfortunately it is the only way I can give this crossover any serious testing. Most of the people I know playing my pack are also running servers too. The pack, and TFC, is really ment for the multi-player experience.

So long story short, the TFC Tuesday crew and I tried installing TerraThaumcraft-a0.4 alongside Thaumcraft on our creative test server but kept getting a fatal "method not found" error. Here is a link to a more detailed crash report CRASH.

For the single player side of things it does seem to be working quite well :D and everything I have run into so far has not been anything major that cant be adjusted easily in minetweaker.

Keep up the great work, and I really believe this mod could be a great success :D B)

5 minutes ago, OneWolfe said:

I know that you said not to try running your mod on a server, but I had to give it a try anyways. Unfortunately it is the only way I can give this crossover any serious testing. Most of the people I know playing my pack are also running servers too. The pack, and TFC, is really ment for the multi-player experience.

So long story short, the TFC Tuesday crew and I tried installing TerraThaumcraft-a0.4 alongside Thaumcraft on our creative test server but kept getting a fatal "method not found" error. Here is a link to a more detailed crash report CRASH.

For the single player side of things it does seem to be working quite well :D and everything I have run into so far has not been anything major that cant be adjusted easily in minetweaker.

Keep up the great work, and I really believe this mod could be a great success :D B)

hmm, yes that error appears to be caused because I call some code that only exists client side. Luckily it was only there for debugging purposes and I can safely remove it.

Expect it to be fixed in the next release, likely later tonight :)

TaeoG: dont push the red button.

MrOneWolf: ...oops.

XD

14 hours ago, Mathias Ademar said:

TaeoG: dont push the red button.

MrOneWolf: ...oops.

XD

lol, I knew it was bound to happen.

Anyways, here's a small update as I continue working towards giving players a way to acquire all the nether-based stuff. This time around, nether wart! A great source of praecantatio, and a requirement for every single potion, its been sorely missed.

• Soulsand is produced alchemically by mixing any sand with mortuus and spiritus (provided you have the new research that stems off of alchemy manufacturing)
  • nether wart seeds can be produced by mixing praecantatio with any seeds. again from that same research
  • a thaumium hoe is required to till the soulsand to make it suitable for planting nether wart seeds
  • Netherwart requires no sunlight, but it does have to be in a warm climate, similar to that of sugar cane (although I may bump it up higher than that)

The best way to get praecantatio for making nether wart seeds will be greatwood, but as I haven't finished the aspects it currently doesn't have any! 

Also, the bug that Mr Wolf mentioned has been fixed. A server should boot now, although I don't know what kinds of bugs you may run into (maybe none!). The only bug I'm aware of with multiplayer is if you log out of a server and back in, or into a new one, without exiting the game. You will end up with duplicate anvil recipes that will cause a crash if you click on them. Good luck!

What to look for in the next update: fire rods, ghast tears and the nether star. Also a working Lamp of fertility.

Fixed TerraThaumcraft a0.4.5

Edited by TaeoG

In the interest of further temporary useability, could you edit the thauminomicon to only contain currently useable research? It would be nice. Also, as earlier mentioned, I can't currently obtain a thauminomicon by using the wand on a bookshelf. As well as this, have you considered warp effects? Since warped research is currently doable (E.G. research mastery) Consider the consequences if someone has a warp effect such as unnatural hunger, that might crash due to the edited hunger bar. Have these things been considered? Also, are zombie brains in place?

3 minutes ago, dittoisepic said:

In the interest of further temporary useability, could you edit the thauminomicon to only contain currently useable research? It would be nice. Also, as earlier mentioned, I can't currently obtain a thauminomicon by using the wand on a bookshelf. As well as this, have you considered warp effects? Since warped research is currently doable (E.G. research mastery) Consider the consequences if someone has a warp effect such as unnatural hunger, that might crash due to the edited hunger bar. Have these things been considered? Also, are zombie brains in place?

Most research is usable, at this point, I can't really feasibly alter the thaumicon in that way. 

As for the wand on the bookshelf, you're absolutely right. When I first started this addon, I changed the wand trigger to work on the TerraFirmaCraft bookshelf, and added a recipe to make said bookshelf since there wasn't one. I don't know if this is because of a change in the TFC code or if I just missed it at the time, but you can make the vanilla bookshelf using TFC components, and its recipe conflicts with mine, meaning you get the vanilla shelf instead of the TFC one, which the wand no longer works on. I'll just remove the changes I made and things should work normally.

Zombie brains still drop off of angry and furious zombies. Did they drop off of normal zombies in normal Thaumcraft? I don't remember.

I hadn't considered unnatural hunger, I'll have a look at that in the future.

They have a chance to drop them, but it's rather low from personal experience, in and around five percent.

Also, the configs should have an option to disable certain researches. It shouldn't be too hard to make the addon of yours edit the config, unless I'm wrong. This isn't a pressing issue, though, as the worst that happens is a few wasted aspect points. Also, consider adding a way to get arcane stone? In vanilla, it needs to be smelted in a furnace into smooth stone, then crafted with shards. Because getting smooth stone is quite a tedious and rather pointless process in TFC, perhaps put in some other way to get it? Or edit the current crafting pattern to include any smooth stone from TFC? Unlocking infusion would unlock a horde of things behind it, such as the lamp of growth you coded and advanced golem cores, as well as the elemental tools (Not sure how you're going to go about the axe of the stream, however) One thing I would quite like to see functional is the boots of the traveler, as they're quite integral to TFC. For the crafting, 30oz of raw fish seems about right IMO.  This is just my opinion, perhaps you have other priorities and I respect that, I just think that those boots would be crucial to TFC

I can see what you're saying about acquiring smooth stone in TFC, the whole mining around it until it falls free is definitely a labor-intensive process. I'll see what I can do about changing that recipe to use stone that's been chiseled smooth, since its much easier to get in bulk.

And ya, I have no idea what to do with the axe of the stream, as its function is completely redundant at this point. Maybe have it drop extra wood, or maybe allowing the leaves to drop as well? I honestly don't know.

I'll also throw in a new recipe for the boots for the next release, that should be easy enough.

Well, dropping the leaves doesn't make much sense lore-wise. An idea I have is to allow it to cut down nearby trees, and to have a particle effect of water drill from the base of the first tree to up to two other nearby trees, selecting the closest two within a certain radius. It fits with the stream lore and makes the axe useful. Might be too overpowered, but it's just an idea i'm throwing out there to keep with the lore. Alternatively, make it so you needn't target a tree, and the stream will down up to two nearby trees. That's a nerf to it, but would require more coding as when used on any block it would have to scan for nearby trees, then show the particle effect going towards them before downing them.

Also, let's face it, the pickaxe of the core will be broken as shit. My advice is to make it a Prospector's pick that tells you more accurate information, such as an estimate of how close the vein is beyond what the propick gives you.

The shovel of the earthmover has interesting implications, but a lot of blocks would just fall, and this wouldn't work well in TFC. Other ideas will be needed. It might be wise to give it 

something of a use, although i'm not sure what

Sword of the zephry needn't be changed.

Bow of bone is fine, although string will need to be changed to TFC string

Hoe of growth, I think you've dealt with that already.

Another possible consideration is to allow these tools to drop a small amount of shards when used, maybe a small pile of dust? It would encourage their use and somewhat aid getting shards for further creation of tools relating to the "affinity" The player has experience with because of using these tools.

Edit: Another idea for the Pickaxe of the core: Make it tell the approximate direction of the vein, with false information similar to the propick. More useful without being too OP. Kinda the middle ground between outright telling you and not doing anything.

Edited by dittoisepic

Ok, I've added

• a new recipe for enchanted cloth made of wool cloth and silk cloth instead of a wool block and string.
  • a new recipe for arcane stone that uses smoothed stone instead of raw stone
  • a new recipe for the boots of the traveler, using TFC leather boots and TFC fish. Any amount of fish will do, since the infusion system doesn't appear to have a way to verify any extra data, and I don't think its game breaking enough to warrant me revamping the infusion altar so people use more fish. I considered using an ink sac instead, but for now its fish.

I'm still designing a system that will allow me to remove recipes from the arcane workbench and the infusion altar, so the old recipes are still functional, but that will change in the future. Also, new recipes may not show up in the book yet.

2 minutes ago, dittoisepic said:

Well, dropping the leaves doesn't make much sense lore-wise. An idea I have is to allow it to cut down nearby trees, and to have a particle effect of water drill from the base of the first tree to up to two other nearby trees, selecting the closest two within a certain radius. It fits with the stream lore and makes the axe useful. Might be too overpowered, but it's just an idea i'm throwing out there to keep with the lore. Alternatively, make it so you needn't target a tree, and the stream will down up to two nearby trees. That's a nerf to it, but would require more coding as when used on any block it would have to scan for nearby trees, then show the particle effect going towards them before downing them.

Also, let's face it, the pickaxe of the core will be broken as shit. My advice is to make it a Prospector's pick that tells you more accurate information, such as an estimate of how close the vein is beyond what the propick gives you.

The shovel of the earthmover has interesting implications, but a lot of blocks would just fall, and this wouldn't work well in TFC. Other ideas will be needed. It might be wise to give it 

something of a use, although i'm not sure what

Sword of the zephry needn't be changed.

Bow of bone is fine, although string will need to be changed to TFC string

Hoe of growth, I think you've dealt with that already.

Another possible consideration is to allow these tools to drop a small amount of shards when used, maybe a small pile of dust? It would encourage their use and somewhat aid getting shards for further creation of tools relating to the "affinity" The player has experience with because of using these tools.

yes... I'm going to have to carefully consider what to do with these elemental items. Its part of the reason I've left them alone so long while working on things that seem harder, like world generation and such.

I'm ok with the items like the pickaxe of the core being OP, since its still a hazy plan for me to use "thaumic steel", a higher end thaumium, to make them. They will be quite hard to acquire.

Alright.

Now, the arcane lamp is an interesting one. In vanilla, it had the use of denying mob spawns in a wide area. It doesn't do this in TFC. Perhaps we should fix this. An idea I have is make it take 1 tutam per few minecraft days (Tutamen is gonna be a helluva pain in the ass to make in TFC) or maybe some other essentia a a higher rate and deny mobs spawns like a player.

adding a fuel requirement to the arcane lamp seems a little mean, yet at the same time it makes sense in the context that permanent lights are supposed to be difficult/rare to come by in TFC.

as for actually blocking mob spawns, that may be harder said than done. I'll have to do some research.

3 hours ago, TaeoG said:

lol, I knew it was bound to happen.

Anyways, here's a small update as I continue working towards giving players a way to acquire all the nether-based stuff. This time around, nether wart! A great source of praecantatio, and a requirement for every single potion, its been sorely missed.

• Soulsand is produced alchemically by mixing any sand with mortuus and spiritus (provided you have the new research that stems off of alchemy manufacturing)
  • nether wart seeds can be produced by mixing praecantatio with any seeds. again from that same research
  • a thaumium hoe is required to till the soulsand to make it suitable for planting nether wart seeds
  • Netherwart requires no sunlight, but it does have to be in a warm climate, similar to that of sugar cane (although I may bump it up higher than that)

The best way to get praecantatio for making nether wart seeds will be greatwood, but as I haven't finished the aspects it currently doesn't have any! 

Also, the bug that Mr Wolf mentioned has been fixed. A server should boot now, although I don't know what kinds of bugs you may run into (maybe none!). The only bug I'm aware of with multiplayer is if you log out of a server and back in, or into a new one, without exiting the game. You will end up with duplicate anvil recipes that will cause a crash if you click on them. Good luck!

What to look for in the next update: fire rods, ghast tears and the nether star. Also a working Lamp of fertility.

TerraThaumcraft a0.4.5 Download

Thank you very much for getting this out so quickly! Now we might even be able to make to some live testing on Tuesday :D

if its a public stream, let me know when/where it is

1 minute ago, TaeoG said:

if its a public stream, let me know when/where it is

The TFC Tuesday streams can be found here https://www.twitch.tv/pakratt0013 every Tuesday between 3pm EST and midnight. Please feel free to stop by any time and say hi to the crew :D