Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Hydra26

How deep have you seen snow get?

10 posts in this topic

So in my current TFC World, I live in a mountain at Z:-10200, and throughout the fall, winter, and spring, I've been watching the snow pile higher and higher; in some spots it's now gotten to be four slabs thick.  I just wondered, what's the thickest you've ever seen snow get in your worlds? (Areas that never thaw don't count (e.g. poles, high latitude mtn. tops, etc.))

I've never lived in a place with much snow.  My current home doesn't ever see snow at all, only a little frost in the lakes around January.

A lot of my spawning locations tend to be near the equator or near one of the poles. I don't get to see snow that much, unfortunately. The only time I've ever seen a huge amount of snow at one point in my TFC career was in that tundra area I once spawned in; it was a long time ago, however.

Four slabs? How thick is a snow slab? Do you mean a "solid block" slab, which is 1/2 of a full block or do you mean a layer of snow, which is 1/8 of a full block?

Anyway, the deepest I got was 8 layers - one full block. It was funny because it was on top of one block of dirt that was sticking out on an otherwise flat surface. And on the flat surface the snow was at most 4 layers thick - the only place it got up to 8 was on this lone block...

I may still have the savegame with that one - if I find it, I can post a screenshot here.

Z was something around 12000 I believe. Long winter, but not so long that I did not manage to grow almost all edible crops.

8 layers, or a full block, is the maximum that snow can pile up on it's own. It's also super annoying because you walk through it instead of on top of it, and it slows you down just like leaves and thatch do.

Here's a screenshot from when I was testing out snow behavior:

Posted Image

I've never lived in a place with much snow.  My current home doesn't ever see snow at all, only a little frost in the lakes around January.

I've never lived in a place with any snow. I get 45 degrees (Celsius) days in summer.

Edited by Hntrofdmnds

In my world I live at about Z -10000 and the most I have seen is 2, maybe 3 layers of snow.

Every new layer that can be added will be added over longer and longer timescales (i.e. the dice roll less and less in favour of a new layer being added). A full block is indeed the maximum amount. This is perfect for me. I'm very happy the problem of no snow accumulation was fixed several versions ago. 

Edited by Terex

I've seen 5/8 deep snow, but I don't think any thicker.  I really like the fact the different depths of snow affect your movement different amounts, and that walking through a snow tile has a chance to reduce the snow level some (accidentally made a path between my house and the smithy, which is how I noticed).

Since I'm new to TFC, what was the reason for limiting it to 1 block deep?  Is that purely because you can walk through it?  Personally, I'd love to see it get deeper, but thats probably because I miss seeing Real Snow in real life (this part of Texas barely gets cold enough to snow, let alone have it stick around past 10am).  :D

The 1 block deep limitation is primarily for simplicity of code. It makes it a lot easier to handle the snow both piling up and melting when it is contained within a single block's space. Once it gets into the multi-block heights, it would have to be a more complicated system of melting, somewhat similar to how digging charcoal piles and removing ingots from tall ingot piles works.