Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CrumpetTaco

Better "Building" materials.

15 posts in this topic

Okay, maybe I'm throwing the dead horse off a cliff face... Wattle and Daub being my first building material I would like to see. Lets see if I can explain this in a do-able way. 

You have daub; 4 clay balls, 1 sand, and 1 dirt block. = 2 Daub balls. 

One daub ball can "fill in" 1 wattle block.

Wattle can be 12 sticks Per square. With a shovel and 10 sticks in your inventory right clicking* with the sticks will put down 1 wattle block. Block is now half finished* and mobs can see through it like branches, but cannot walk through it. To finish the block, you just walk up to it and with 1 daub or more, and right click the block. The block is no longer see through by mobs, and it gets full durability. *If that later part is going to cause lag and performance issues [kinda like how gobs of chiseled blocks and planks do.] Then having 12 sticks and 1 daub ball with a shovel, allows you to just instantly place a W&B block. This will give you a blank slightly brown colored building material.

You could have an alternative block if you have 2 extra items on you. Lye and a "brush" A brush could be made from either a group of feathers, some string, and a knife in a crafting square. OR have a place able "Brush makers" table where it acts as a crafting grid in itself. but for only making brushes. of course that might be a far stretch as there would be no other real uses for brushes.but the two extra materials will allow the blocks to be white washed when placed. I'm not sure if this is do-able. but its worth the thought. *****************************-------***************************** 

Space for more ideas. 

Edited by CrumpetTaco

Maybe seeing as how we don't know how rare/common clay is going to be in TFC2, how about we have a shapeless recipe that has: Straw (thatch), Clay, Sand, and Dirt.  This would not only use up resources that do not get used all too often in the stone age, seeing as how dirt and sand have gravity, and thatch is walk-throughable on its own.  This recipe would also represent the real-life daub that was used, minus the animal manure.  If this recipe is cheap enough and uses up materials that later-aged players would just have chests full of anyways, this would be the perfect building material to use for all kinds of buildings, besides being perfectly in time with the TFC timeline.

You have daub; 4 clay balls, 1 sand, and 1 dirt block. = 2 Daub balls. 

Just a note, this recipe would require an expanded crafting grid to make, since you are limited to one item per slot.

Just a note, this recipe would require an expanded crafting grid to make, since you are limited to one item per slot.

To have 4 clay balls 1 sand block, and 1 dirt block? that's only 3 squares on the starting grid out of 9? the clay balls are stack able still I was assuming. 

Vanilla crafting recipes do not take into account stacksizes. So for all of that, you would need 6 slots in the grid.

Like Bioxx said, you can't have a stack of something as a crafting ingredient. Each individual clay ball needs its own slot. And the starting grid is only 2x2.

then have a clay block instead. 1 clay block, 1 dirt, 1 sand. = 6 daubs? 

I like the idea of an early building material that's not logs.

Th e texture should not be at all "pretty" to discourage it from being used in later game builds :)

then have a clay block instead. 1 clay block, 1 dirt, 1 sand. = 6 daubs? 

I think they removed clay blocks, due to their easy-to-obtain yet anti-gravity properties.

If you want a new early-game material, ExtraFirma (http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4581-tfc-0789-extrafirma-addon-v104/) has adobe bricks which I think are pretty well balanced (and tbh look more like bricks than the brick blocks we currently have) .  It does have a bunch of other stuff you may or may not want.

If you want w-d for the look rather than early-game alternate, just make it use an expanded crafting grid.  A material that requires as many sticks as you're describing is probably metal age anyway, as gathering sticks can be a bit tedious in the stone age.  In a 3x3 grid that would be four sticks, 3 sand, 2 dirt, or something like that.  But it'd probably need to be nice looking, or nobody would use it in the metal age. 

There is definitely a gap though, in terms of materials to fill in around logs, so that half-timber housing can be done better.  Smooth stone blocks don't look right, and raw stone of the right color can be a bit hard to come by as there's only 3 or 4 that are white enough imo, plus if you make a mistake, you have to disassemble everything around it.  And if it's touching other raw stone, you just lost some raw stone.  I do agree that some sort of wattle and daub, or plaster block (4 sand + 5 lime in brick fashion, or 6 sand and 3 lime if you want to be more 'accurate') would be a nice addition to the game for half-timber builds.

Edit: If we want an early-game alternative, sod might be an interesting choice.  Perhaps five dirt blocks yields 2 sod blocks (Sod blocks would have a fixed color, rather than having one for every dirt type).  Or, maybe the player has to use an axe on a dirt block.  It takes longer than shoveling dirt, but less time than chopping a wood block.  It immediately yields a block of sod.  This could only be done on dirt blocks with grass.  You could even limit it to blocks with an actual grass tuft on top.  This would require the player to come at it from the side - coming at it from the top would destroy the grass.  Sod would not slip like dirt/sand/cobble blocks do, but it would have to have something under or it would fall (so no unsupported sod roofs).  That kind of behavior may be a new one though, as I think currently all blocks that fall also slide.

Edited by Darmo

The Decorations addon has some nice mud Bricks, they can be crafted using clay, thatch and Dirt or Sand. They get their color from the type of dirt or sand, so there is a lot of variety. 

Please remember that TFC2 is a complete rewrite and might as well be a new mod entirely. Any and all addons that are currently compatible with TFC will not be compatible with TFC2.

Thanks kitty. I meant the idea of how to craft those blocks. Also the fact that we had those textures in tfc as a placeholder that never got added to the game. Maybe now is time to do it.

I really wish I was able to help code. For now all we can do is give suggestions and ask for the features we like.

BTW once again, thanks for all the work you guys do.

To give an idea of how much I have been playing TFC:

Last week I had to make a small trip and my laptop could not handle my server modpack, so I decided to install Vanilla Minecraft, that's when I found out that the added bunnies to the game.

On 8/14/2015 at 10:57 AM, CrumpetTaco said:

Okay, maybe I'm throwing the dead horse off a cliff face... Wattle and Daub being my first building material I would like to see. Lets see if I can explain this in a do-able way. 

One daub ball can "fill in" 1 wattle block.

Wattle can be 12 sticks Per square. With a shovel and 10 sticks in your inventory right clicking* with the sticks will put down 1 wattle block. Block is now half finished* and mobs can see through it like branches, but cannot walk through it. To finish the block, you just walk up to it and with 1 daub or more, and right click the block. The block is no longer see through by mobs, and it gets full durability. *If that later part is going to cause lag and performance issues [kinda like how gobs of chiseled blocks and planks do.] Then having 12 sticks and 1 daub ball with a shovel, allows you to just instantly place a W&B block. This will give you a blank slightly brown colored building material. 

There's some good stuff here. There is definitely a need for stone age building materials. To keep mobs out you need at the very least a wall that doesn't pile up like sand, dirt, and gravel. I suggest early walls can be made of adobe, cob, and wattle & daub. Keep in mind you won't necessarily have access to an expanded crafting grid so all of these can be done with a 2x2 grid.

Wet Adobe is made with a clay ball and three sand to make twelve wet adobe bricks. These brick must be laid in clear view of the sky to dry. Rain and high humidity makes these take longer to dry. Once dry you can place a brick and it'll make a layer. Continue placing adobe until you get a full block. It takes four dry adobe bricks to make one block. These are able to go up to ten blocks high before collapsing. They can not support each other horizontally. 

Cob is a clay ball, gravel, and two straw to make 1 cob block. Cob can be stacked up to 6 blocks high before collapsing and support horizontally out to two. If cob is in view of the sky and it's raining it has a chance of collapsing so make sure to put something on top of it to protect it from the rain. 

A wattle frame is made with 4 sticks. Once placed keep adding sticks until it is filled. (Number of sticks to fill a frame left unspecified on purpose because it depends on balance). Once filled it will now support an additional frame on top of it that can also be filled. Mobs can still see through wattle but not walk through it. Daub is made with a clay ball and three dirt to make three daub. When daub is used on a completed wattle block it turns it into wattle & daub. Mobs can not see through wattle & daub. It look brown because it's wet and takes a short while to dry. If it rains before it drys it'll wash of the daub. When dry it will be more white. To make it more white apply slaked lime or chalk to it. Neither wattle or wattle & daub can support other blocks and count as air. Both wattle and wattle & daub can only go up two block and can't go out horizontally.

These methods offer a variety as well as having different draw backs. Wattle and daub is limited to short, non retaining walls but quick and cheap to build. Cob is can go up pretty high and make a roof but must be covered or will collapse when it rains. Adobe can build up high but is unable to make a roof and can take a long time to dry. They each can be done with a 2x2 crafting grid 

The next tier of walls would be when you have access to planks. These include the gabion, rammed earth, timber frame, and wood planks.

Create a wooden frame with 4 planks. Then place the frame. Next add your choice of gravel, sand, or dirt. The great thing about gabion walls is they can go up any height as long as there is a block under it and at least three blocks next to or adjacent to the block under it. This means you could create a 2x2 column of gabion blocks, which makes gabion great for building up landscape or a foundation for your house if you live on a slope. They can not go horizontal. 

Rammed earth is created by hitting a gabion with dirt on top of another gabion with dirt with a hammer. This will empty the top gabion and the bottom gabion will turn into rammed earth returning a wooden frame to you. Rammed earth can go up to ten high and can't go horizontal. 

Timber frame is great for building the structure of a house. It goes up fifteen blocks and 3 blocks horizontal. Same with wood planks. Both of these are great for building large houses but are also highly flammable. You don't want torches or other open flames anywhere nearby.

Both Gabions and Rammed earth are more blast resistant that the previous walls making them more fortified. 

The next tier is when you have access to something hotter than a campfire. You'll be able to make slaked lime by cooking limestone, chalk, or sea shells. This will get you access to quicklime, cement, concrete, cinder blocks, plaster, and cordwood. These are very nice building materials.

Lath & plaster, and timber framed plaster, fitted stone. These are just pretty.

Some examples of what they might look like.

Spoiler

89D28wh.jpg

Top right fitted stone, the rest is various framed plaster & lath

GKjueOP.jpg

Adobe bricks would be good, as there was a great demand for them for TFC1, given that pretty much every LP I watched used that mod that brought in adobe bricks.  The rest of the stone age stuff are a bit 'meh' to me, unless they do in fact get incorporated into a mechanic of resisting mob attack.  The plaster and half timber stuff is what I'd be most wanting.  In TFC1 I would keep all raw chalk and granite blocks, because they were the best simulation of plaster that could be had  in vanilla TFC1.  But that was very tedious.  It'd be really great to be able to make plaster.  Maybe gypsum would be the 'easy-mode' way to get it, with baking lime the 'hard way'.

They may have used the adobe bricks because there were no early game alternatives. As for half timber, it'll be in the game one way or another of that I have no doubt. Just waiting for Bioxx to work some more on stone age content.