Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

Volcanoes in TFC2.   57 members have voted

1. 1. You want see this idea in TFC2?

• Yes, I want see this idea in this form
    • Yes, but idea sould be to refine (Please leave comment)
    • No, I don't want volcanoes in TFC in any form

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 posts in this topic

Before you start reading this topic, I want to warn you that English is not my base language, I might have made some mistakes in writing if you notice any errors or have not understood the essence of some of the proposals, write about it in the comments below topic, I will try to fix problems as soon as possible.

If you have questions or additions to my idea, please leave a comment. I will answer you.

Why this idea must be in TFC:
  • The variety of the world.
  • Believable spawn for igneous rocks in the world.
  • Creation of natural hazards such as: Fires, lavafalls, evaporation of water, dehydration of plants.
  • Hot springs are located near the volcano, as it should be.
  • Large space for new ideas. For example new types of ores and rocks, volcanic caves, geysers.

Cons:
  • The complexity of creating the right eruption model.
  • Too easy access to the lava at the beginning of the game. (I do not consider it as a bad thing).
  • Possible drop in performance for large eruptions.

Synergy:
  • Hexagon world generation. I still do not know, about this type of world generation, but using this type of generation of the world, volcanoes will look very believable.
  • TFC has a cave collapses mechanics. Eruptions can be combined with landslides and cave collapses, to create additional hazards and interactions.

Types of volcanoes: Shield volcano, stratovolcano, cinder cone, fissure vent.

Shield volcano

Posted Image

• Dimensions - Large, low. Base diameter 400 to 800 blocks. The ratio of height to diameter 1/10.
  • Crater - Large, shallow, contains water (hot spring). Diameter of crater 1/6 of base volcano diameter. Depth of crater 1/3 of volcano height.
  • Eruption - Rarely. The time between eruptions 1.5-3 years.
  • Biome - Any. It may appear at the bottom of the sea or ocean.
  • The amount of plants - High. Trees grow across the surface of the volcano.
  • Danger - Variable, depending on the time elapsed since the last eruption.
  • Note - Due to the small height and a large stretch goes unnoticed for a long time. During the eruption may seriously damage buildings and forest, which are on the slopes of the volcano.

Stratovolcano

Posted Image

• Dimensions - Medium, high. Base diameter 100 to 160 blocks. The ratio of height to diameter 3/4.
  • Crater - Medium, shallow, contains lava or air. Diameter of crater 1/4 of base volcano diameter. Depth of crater 1/6 of volcano height.
  • Eruption - Moderate. The time between eruptions 5-8 months.
  • Biome - Mountain often. Other types rarely.
  • The amount of plants - Above-average. Trees grow on more than 70% surface of volcano.
  • Danger - High.
  • Note - In the mountain biomes can be hidden among other mountains. The top can be hidden by clouds. The volcano can be dangerous if not detected before the eruption.

Cinder cone

Posted Image

• Dimensions - Average, very high. Base diameter 80 to 140 blocks. The ratio of height to diameter 1/1.
  • Crater - Small, shallow, contains lava or air. Diameter of crater 1/5 of base volcano diameter. Depth of crater 1/1 of crater diameter. Crater - a hemisphere.
  • Eruption - Frequently. The time between eruptions 3-5 months.
  • Biome - Any.
  • The amount of plants - Low. Trees grow on less than 20% surface of volcano. 
  • Danger - High.
  • Note - Due to the strong inclination of slopes and frequent eruptions, it has no plants in the vicinity. May be found in the system of volcanoes, two or more.

Fissure vent

Posted Image

• Dimensions - Huge, flat. Width 10 to 20 blocks. Length 150 to 400 blocks.
  • Crater - Huge, flat. It occupies the entire volume of the crack depth to bedrock, contains lava. The depth of the lava below ground level at 20-30 blocks.
  • Eruption - Extremely rare. The time between eruptions 5-10 years.
  • Biome - Mountain never. Other types extremely rare. Single volcano on 100.000.000 blocks in the square. This mean 10000x10000, width and length.
  • The amount of plants - Depend on biome. Trees grow everywhere, like vanilla minecraft fissures.
  • Danger - Very high.
  • Note - Rare form of the volcano. It has a huge interval between eruptions. Because of their planar structure scatters lava in a small radius from the center of volcano. Large amount of lava provokes fires, emissions of dangerous gases, huge amount of evaporation, drought. This type of volcanoes can dry the rivers and lakes.

Other parts of volcano idea:

• Temperature. Being near the source of the lava, should provoke an increase in ambient temperature. It will affect the growth of agricultures, thereby diversify the gameplay. If the body temperature is introduced, the lava will provoke overheating or warming.
  • Active volcanoes should increase their size with each eruption. Covered with a new layer of lava and lapilli. Lapilli are small stones, so the game should replace them with gravel, thereby increasing the attractiveness of living near the volcano, if you need a lot of gravel.
  • Volcanoes must faded out after a certain number of eruptions or initially be extinguished, so as not to provoke the uncontrolled increase in the size of the volcano.
  • Necessary to change the interaction between lava and water. Add the chance of water evaporation and replacement of empty space with lava. Approximate odds: 80-90% evaporation, 10-20% of the occurrence of rocks. (In vanilla minecraft we have 100% chance to get rocks)
  • Pyroclastic flows. The eruption of ash and gases must be harmful to the environment, to the player and to the NPC. How to implement - Local weather changes like rain. Add particle effects at the top of the crater, like a charcoal pit, but with a large amount of particles. Maybe with new sprites. (I do not know if you can make a local weather, if not already is). How it should work - In the area of ​​the eruption must change the weather. Inflicts poison effect "Ashes in the lungs" the strength of the effect depends on the distance from the center of the crater (I do not think that it is difficult to implement, like a mechanic in Industrial Craft, when you walk close to the nuclear reactor). If you are very close to volcano, should appear additional effect, suffocation, it must work like a suffocation underwater.

Posted Image

• Volcanic bombs. 10% chance of pyroclastic flow may contain volcanic bombs. The sky must have a reddish tinge, and on the surface appear new stones. A huge advantage of this idea it's circulation materials in nature, in this case the stones.

Posted Image

• Volcanic ash is a source of micronutrients. The soil around volcanoes more fertile. This idea can be used in the game, to accelerate the growth of agricultures. The soil should get a new option - Ash content. This option has a value from 0 to 3 units. Each harvest should subtract 1 from this value. Bonus - agricultures growth rate increased by 20%. Ash content in the soil shall be updated at each eruption within a radius of the negative effect of paragraph 5 (Pyroclastic flows).

I love this idea! I personally think that if this is well executed it would add an awesome dynamic to the game. The only thing I have an issue with is the timeframe on the first couple of volcanos should be a bit longer imho.I believe that having well simulated volcanos should include pre eruption tremors and other kinds of preindicators involved like any lakes on or near the active volcano being converted to hot springs would also be quite cool and give players a warning when to "get the hell outta dodge" as it were.In an unrelated topic, for English not being your first language your post was clear and articulate even if you were missing the occasional word here or there. Some native English speakers are much worse at assembling their thoughts so don't worry about your post :) it was wonderful!

Nice idea - but bear in mind that the majority of volcanoes on Earth are extinct - or dormant - only in a few places in the world are there still volcanoes considered to be "active". 

However much I like the ravines in TFC, I do feel that they are a tad to common - we should make sure that volcanoes aren't the new ravines... :)

These would be fun, but I think they should be very, very rare in general.  Honestly I think if we're being realistic, probably just ask for a rock cone with a lava pool at the top.  Even in the current game, once in awhile I come across an overflowing lava pool, sometimes from an overhang, and they're always impressive and exciting for their unusual nature.

If volcanoes are dangerous, why should anyone settle near them or go near them?  People spend tons of time building their settlements, I don't know why they'd settle near a volcanoes and risk all that work being destroyed. The only use for gravel currently is to get flint and for panning. Both uses are pretty minor, and gravel is already plenty abundant for them.  In the current game, bonuses to agriculture aren't that meaningful, it's already pretty easy to get a huge surplus of food. 

One of the only possible compelling reasons I see is if new minerals or something are added, that are found only in volcanoes.  But they cannot be game-crucial minerals, or volcanoes will have to be common enough that people can find them.  So they either need to be 'easter egg' minerals, or perhaps minerals that are rare everywhere else, but abundant around volcanoes. Even then, if the eruptions happen infrequently, all the player has to do is pop in, grab them, and leave. 

Or, if some sort of thermal generation makes an appearance, and the miscellaneous lava that appears all over currently goes away, then the vicinity of volcanoes might become attractive for power generation.

As scenery, they'd be great.  But if they're to actually contribute to gameplay, I think TFC2 is going to have to have stuff added that plays off them.  Because I don't see anything in the current game that would.

Duuuude, set up a sulphur mine. It's not going to be interesting without sulphur.

I think volcanoes would suit the game very well. I think not all volcanoes should be active, though, some (if not most) of them should have a 0% chance of eruption. Also, volcanic islands would be cool.

My concern is this:

I think these would be awesome.  I also agree with a few others that most volcanoes should be dormant..but if most are dormant is it really worth writing all the code that will be necessary to make volcano eruptions at all?

This is pretty cool, but in regards to lava you're going to have to do more than change how it reacts with water.  How do you propose to get rid of it after an eruption ends?

This is pretty cool, but in regards to lava you're going to have to do more than change how it reacts with water. How do you propose to get rid of it after an eruption ends?

Well perpetual lava always struck me as strange anyway. I think lava should cool like water does. If both water and lava could turn to ice and stone 1/8 block at a time we could have thin ice or thin stone which could give way >:) but turning to stone (metamorphic stone of course) would be a great way to deal with lava which is left over from an eruption.During an eruption ash could also accumulate like snow and after a certain amount of time convert to dirt of the type of metamorphic rock the lava hardened to.

I think a volcano would be a cool thing to look at, but basically that's all I would like to see in the game. 

A volcano that is constantly smoking and sporadically would erupt. 

As long as is no something that would suddenly appear out of nowhere and just blow my base.

So I am exploring and I see the smoke on top of a mountain. I may go closer to look for some specific minerals that could be more abundant there, but i woul know not to build my base anywhere close

If volcanoes are dangerous, why should anyone settle near them or go near them?  People spend tons of time building their settlements, I don't know why they'd settle near a volcanoes and risk all that work being destroyed. The only use for gravel currently is to get flint and for panning. Both uses are pretty minor, and gravel is already plenty abundant for them.  In the current game, bonuses to agriculture aren't that meaningful, it's already pretty easy to get a huge surplus of food. 

Need I point out how often us humans do exactly that? Very large cities are often built around large volcanos which, when they erupt, can deal massive damage to the city and the population within. Or just make them all into statues...

Loudstorm, what of supervolcanos, such as the Yellowstone Supervolcano?

The problem is that if we were to put the volcanoes in the same time framing as in real life we would never see a volcano eruption in the game.

If volcanoes are added to the game, and I am not saying it should or not, but if it gets added i want to see it. Just do not want then to suddenly appear from under my base and destroy my whole town. 

After all even I have a limit to how much realism to have in a game. Also If you imagine a planet the size of Earth and you suddenly appear in it, what would be the chances of having an active volcano close to your base?

Like I said. I am not sure if is worth the trouble to generate volcanoes in the game. In any case if they are added it would need to be the kind that is easily spotted. So I am exploring and I see a conical Mountain with smoke coming out of the top, maybe a annual chance that it will erupt, In which case we should have small earthquakes that grow in intensity the closer we get to the eruption.

With so many  things to create and code to make this in a nice way, I believe it would be better if left for a mod or addon, instead of added to the tfc.

Just my opinion, since I am no coder and do not help make tfc, this is not my decision. 

"The problem is that if we were to put the volcanoes in the same time framing as in real life we would never see a volcano eruption in the game."

I don't know how old you are, but in my lifetime, there's been a new island created near Iceland, Mount St. Helens in the US blew its top, and more recently Mt. Ruapehu in New Zealand had a minor eruption and that volcano in Iceland caused major havoc in the airways...

Edited by ChunkHunter

"The problem is that if we were to put the volcanoes in the same time framing as in real life we would never see a volcano eruption in the game."

I don't know how old you are, but in my lifetime, there's been a new island created near Iceland, Mount St. Helens in the US blew its top, and more recently Mt. Ruapehu in New Zealand had a minor eruption and that volcano in Iceland caused major havoc in the airways...

These were spread out over an immensely massive area, not like the terra firma craft world. While it is true there is a lot of volcanic activity worldwide, a terra firma craft world is on a tiny scale compared to the real life world. Volcanoes don't occur very frequently, they're rare even in real life. And they often go years, decades, even centuries in between eruptions.

that may be, but how many people actually saw a volcano eruption?

I'm actually 53 years old and I have done some traveling, but I never seen a volcano and much less an eruption.

I am not opposing the idea of volcanoes in tfc, after all is the Dev's time they can do whatever they want.  All I am saying is for it not to be a random thing that will suddenly appear from under my base and destroy my town. That's it. But if you think that is a necessity, that you really want to have a volcano just open a mouth and engulf all your creations that's fine too.

People have different opinions and play styles. 

It's the same with the tornado in weather mods, realistic yes, but I would never add to my server. It would create more problems and bring no fun. Again this is just my opinion, you are entitle to yours.

Why fight over a feature that we don't even know if will be ever add to the game?

My comment was about the statement that volcanoes erupting aren't in the timeframe of humans.Regarding the small nature of the TFC world - I believe that argument to be flawed - in the real world you have to traverse more than a couple of kilometres before the underlying bedrock changes, also, the islands in TFC are TINY on real world scale.If we were on a real world scale, then you could have an entire map which was desert (centre of Australia), or ice (Antarctica).

If you can suspend disbelief that this isn't real world scale for rock types (and even climate), then why not for locations of volcanoes?

The problem still remains that unless TFC2 incorporates some sort of unique/increased ore spawn near volcanoes, or some use for magma, volcanoes would just be scenery, at best.  Potentially destructive scenery nobody would want to settle near at worst.  If the devs think it's worth it for scenery, great.  But that's all it would be.

Now that TFC2 is open to some fantasy, I could see adamantine or some such appearing near magma, and potentially Dwarf-Fortress-Like magma forges to process it and possibly other ores without fuel.  In that case though I think the random magma on the surface might need to disappear entirely for balance sake. Right now magma has exactly two uses - infinite light source, and trash incinerator.  Well, and dangerous weapon.

I agree that it would be cool to have some reason to go near the volcano for some materials and specific ores.

That said if is just for scenery, I would be cool with it. After all is not like there are specific ores for tall mountains, they add variety and a volcano in that sense would be welcome to the game. 

I think that lava pools should be removed and lava/sulfur should only be obtainable from (or from the ground under) volcanoes.

I like the idea of volcanoes, but I would only like to see the cindercone and strato volcano types, and would like the eruptions to occur around 2 or 3 times per year. I hope the natural lava pool's spawn rate would also be reduced. 

You can tweak the frequency of lava pools in the config.

Volcanoes sound like an interesting idea.

My perference would be similar to the prevaling opinion.

First: That they should be infrequent to make them a little unique.

Second: They should be observable so one's base isn't unexpectedly destroyed.

Third: Their destructive capabiilities and danger should be proportional to some sort of a reward. Gorgeous as they would look, it would be a large chunk of coding for a relatively small aspect of the scenery. If they had a specific and interesting function such as a unique ore, or a bounty of a valuble ore they'd have a good purpose and one that changed according to the circumstances of the player.

Anyone who has looked closely in the repo should know that I've toyed with volcanoes in the past. Islands are obviously perfectly suited for having volcanoes. My issue right now is just making them appear correctly in the world. It's a lot harder to adapt them to the island maps than one would wish.

How about one in every few islands is a volcano, and has little on it except a large volcano, that would offer some sort of reward

I did not know that Bioxx.

May I ask if it's worth discussing volcanoes at this point or are you still toying with how to make it work at all.

I presume you mean how to make them appear dynamically right? Or is it hard work trying to get them to appear at all as large mountains with lava somewhere in the mix?