Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

Volcanoes in TFC2.   57 members have voted

1. 1. You want see this idea in TFC2?

• Yes, I want see this idea in this form
    • Yes, but idea sould be to refine (Please leave comment)
    • No, I don't want volcanoes in TFC in any form

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 posts in this topic

Ehh there's a number of issues simply related to everything on an island interacting. Rivers, canyons, lakes, volcanos, cliffs. They all have to be able to coexist, or at the very least know that they need to ignore each other and not cross paths. Things like that. It should be easier than it has been, I'll probably figure it out.

As far as if this discussion is even needed, if you guys want to figure out some gameplay purpose for volcanos besides looking fancy, then I'm all ears. I really haven't given it much thought.

As to the eruption stuff, that would take way more time to code than I even want to think about. You guys may see fancy mc mods that do crazy stuff like tornados but it took that coder a whole heck of a lot of time to get that working and often mods like that don't play nice with anything else. Realistically there's only so much that the mc engine is really capable of doing well. I really don't think that proper justice could be done for a volcanic eruption even though it WOULD be badass.

I can think of 2 ideas:

Some ore or mineral that can only be found close to volcanoes.

A special Boss Monster that throes fireballs and drops some special item . The player would need to wear blue steel armor to help with the fire balls. Even the weapons would need to be blue steel.

Nah, dude, blue steel or stuff is not going to be the thing in TFC2. 

Maybe the next island's mineral and ores, but in limited amount, guarded by next island's mobs (difficulty). Or generate a dark pit :)

Nah, dude, blue steel or stuff is not going to be the thing in TFC2. 

Not sure where you got that idea. I've not commented at all on metals in tfc2 I don't think.

Not sure where you got that idea. I've not commented at all on metals in tfc2 I don't think.

I mean that blue steel will surely not be the pinnacle of metal tier. You planned more than 6 tiers, right? Won't be that fun if only 6 out of infinite is challenging.

Well I have not considered metal tiered, but if blue steel is not the top it actually would be good for this idea as what would be the point in battling a Boss if you already at the top?

Not really defending the possibility of a Fire boss in volcanoes as this was just a thought and not a really developed suggestion. But if we are really going to have magic and boss monsters it could work. 

I mean that blue steel will surely not be the pinnacle of metal tier. You planned more than 6 tiers, right? Won't be that fun if only 6 out of infinite is challenging.

It just sounded like you thought blue steel wouldnt be a thing. As far as the metal teirs, exactly how it needs to be done still eludes me a bit. There are a number of interesting possibilities that we'll have to explore, but that's a topic for another thread.

As far as some kind of boss to fight in a volcano, that's not terrible.

Minerals and mobs are the most obvious definitely.  It'd be even better if volcanoes always had a cave system under them, and the minerals were perhaps in the bottom layer there.   Or at least, in more abundance there.    If crystals were ever a thing, special ones could be found there.  It would be interesting if the minerals had a chance to be located inside or under the lava pool.  So the player has to do some complicated work to get down to them (Disallow placement of anything except raw igneous stone in a an existing lava block?)

There could also be a page taken from DF, where the player can construct a 'magma forge'.  This would basically eliminate the need for charcoal I guess, or perhaps this is the method of smelting the procedural metals?  For this purpose there could perhaps be "lava" and then also "magma", with magma being found only at bedrock, and can be used to power a magma forge.  But it could require a large volume of magma.  And that would probably also need to assume that blue buckets are no longer a thing, otherwise it might be a bit too easy.   And then there could be a reason for magma-safe pumps and tubes, to bring it to the surface if desired.  For that matter, if resources are under the lava, a pump could be used to *remove* the lava, exposing the material.  I would imagine this being something like an intake block, which somehow make all the lava blocks around it (source and flowing) not disappear, because they need to reappear if the pump goes away, but become transparent and safe for the player to walk through?  Each intake could do that for like, a 5x5 cube centered on it.  Although then where does the lava go...well, it's a basic idea anyway...

But overall I think special minerals and mobs is definitely the way to go.  Especially underground, in dangerous cave system!

Edited by Darmo

I like the idea of almost subdueing the volcano by using it as an energy source. That feels thematically very cool. I like the experience that would confer to playing the game.

As far as underground volcano caves go. I thought I'd drop some inspiration on ya'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305745/Is-magical-cave-world-The-chambers-carved-Kamchatkas-glaciers-volcano-fed-hot-springs.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava_cave#/media/File:Classic_lava_tube_passage.jpg

http://tuoitrenews.vn/lifestyle/25487/a-closeup-of-southeast-asia-s-longest-volcanic-cave

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava_tube

The one in Vietnam adds some really interesting general geographical features. Although that's another discussion.

Seeing large surface volcanoes would be an impressive sight. Having a wide variety of shapes and sizes would further improve the excitement of finding one, as you never know what to expect. As much as we all want to see a huge explosion every time a volcano erupts, I really don't feel its feasible within the scope of this mod. Simple eruptions could be done by generating lava blocks in the caldera until they overflow the rim. Still could be cool, but shouldn't be as demanding to operate? When the eruption is over, the generated blocks could be removed. This could create opportunity for danger, without permanently ruining the landscape around it.

The idea of procedurally generated "cave" complexes beneath volcanoes would be very exciting. Similar in the view of dungeons, but in this case it is a natural feature. An area like this could have tunnels, lava falls, lava rivers, and pools. Large magma pockets would need to be located within the walls of such places. Suddenly the dangers of mining go from cave-ins to falling in lava or causing a lava flow. If body temperature becomes a thing, special protective armors will most certainly be needed just to enter the underground.

Such a hostile environment also needs rewards. Besides the obvious sulfur, maybe such tiered metals as red/blue steel are made solely/partially from special ores found within these cave systems, like Darmo suggested.

I'm also really liking the idea of there being special mobs or bosses located within. Turns volcanoes into more of a fire temple style dungeon.

Edited by Sayreg

The volcano doesn't need to erupt necessarily; maybe it could just send down the odd lahar to wipe out anyone foolish enough to try to establish themselves on its slopes.

A volcano could also be dotted with fumeroles, which could emit poisonous/corrosive gases.  I know there is no desire on the devs' part to try to simulate the fluid dynamics of moving gases, but what if there were simply a point, and all blocks within a certain radius were just permanently a non-air gaseous block?  Passable, but having bad effects on the player?  Would give whole new use for charcoal (filters) and a variety of other stuff, not to mention magic.

I like this idea, especially the danger of volcanoes and the impact that each one would have on the surrounding environment, a really good idea.

excuses are not very good English, are Italian, some words I translated with the translator.

You know, now that TFC2 is planned to have discreet islands with their own weather, perhaps a new weather type of volcanic ash rain could be added?  It would be a disaster, and would pile up ash layers like snow.  This ash would kill all grass and crops.  But it would just affect the island the volcano is on.

volcanic ash is often very good for revitailsing the soil...

I like the idea of volcanoes. 

I am to some extent welcome to caldera and strata volcanoes, although caldera volcanoes can sometimes consume a lot of memory and processing power.

-COUGH COUGH- PLES GIMME DRAGONS NESTS NEAR VOLCANOES, I WANT TO BE THE MOTHER OF TFC2 DWAGONS PLES -cough cough-

Seriously though, if TFC2 is taking a more 'loose' / 'fantastical' approach to things, a place like a volcanoe would be a beautiful spot to have a high risk high reward resource like a Dragon babby.... Ofc you'd have to fight and possibly kill de momma dragon just to steal an egg but... I personally, would love to see Bioxx flying amongst his children as Daenerys... They'd be something to fight over, search for and could be an interesting venture if we get an Animal Husbandry-esc skill in TFC2 (if we get skills at all :P)

Obsidian seems the obvious choice for a reward. It's shards, when shattered, have a molecular edge, making them unimaginably sharp.

Sulfur and other compounds form deposits along the edges.

Volcanic ash is fantastically fertile and makes agriculture boom.

Obsidian seems the obvious choice for a reward. It's shards, when shattered, have a molecular edge, making them unimaginably sharp.

I learned something today.

Some more: pumice and volcanic ash can be used as insulation, flux, poultry litter and made into cement. The tiny island of Java owes it's population of 150 million to widespread ash.

Maybe we could direct lava flows into massive fluxed ceramic vats? Basalt bricks, anyone?

Perfect! Finally the release of TFC2 would expect me digging up piles of volcanic ash from a nearby volcano to increase the soil value of my farmland.

The idea by gxblt also may increase the difficulty of anyways trying to pick up the ash. You may just end up getting stabbed with molecule-sized, sword-shaped dust, which was like the moon dust that threatened astronauts going to the moon with death from lung corrosion, when returning back.[insert extra bonus suggestion based on real life volcano eruptions(small droppings of rock?)]

volcanic ash is often very good for revitailsing the soil...

Yeah, but it's got a habit of:

A) smothering plants

B) Killing animals. The stuff ash is made of turns into a cement-like mixture in contact with water. The stuff in your lungs is primarily water, and if the ash is thick enough you can't cough all of it (especially the fine particles) up. Do the math and it comes to 'Oh crap I can't breathe'

Yeah, but it's got a habit of:

A) smothering plants

B) Killing animals. The stuff ash is made of turns into a cement-like mixture in contact with water. The stuff in your lungs is primarily water, and if the ash is thick enough you can't cough all of it (especially the fine particles) up. Do the math and it comes to 'Oh crap I can't breathe'

Well... volcanoes will be stayed out of for about a week and then start collecting the wet volcanic ash?