Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Xamllew

[Solved] Anything I Can Do With Less Than 100 Units of Liquid Metal?

12 posts in this topic

I'm starting to grow a collection of vessels filled with varying amounts of solidified metals that were the remainders of ingot processing. I have em all sitting in storage so I can combine them with another batch, however I never remember to remelt them when the time comes and so the pile of vessels just grows, some of the metals are alloys that I'll probably never make again so I'm ready to trash em but I wanted to ask here first if I can do anything with like 50 units of bronze alloys, gold, zinc, copper etc.

It'd be a nice feature to allow the player to salvage pots by dumping out remaining liquid metals so that they can be reused.

Edited by Xamllew

You can already pour liquid metal into molds. Anything wrong with that?

Ya, you can partially fill ingot molds.  It doesn't fix the overall issue of having odd amount of of ore left.  But you can partially fill an ingot mold (or any tool mold for that matter, assuming the metal is bronze or copper), and then later if you do another melt of the same metal, complete that partially filled mold.  It's very common I think to have a partially filled ingot mold of pretty much every metal.  I just keep them all in a chest near the forge, usually this is also my cooling chest.

I just keep them all in a chest near the forge, usually this is also my cooling chest.

Did you know you can cool metal by dipping it in a barrel of water?

Just pour out the metal into ingot molds. If you have multiple vessels of the same metal leftover, you can put a partially filled ingot mold into the slot to fill it up with metal from the other vessels. You can also combine partially filled ingot molds of the same metal by heating one up to liquid temperature, and then right-clicking it to open up the pouring interface. From there you put in the second partially filled mold and it will slowly combine to two.

As for what you can do with these partially filled ingot molds, if they are an alloy ingredient you can heat them up to liquid temperature and place them in the input slot of a crucible and it will add the metal to the mixture one unit at a time.

Did you know you can cool metal by dipping it in a barrel of water?

Ya, the cooling chest is for when I'm further processing the ingots.  So I pour my ingots, let them cool down to just below liquid, pop them out, and they're still hot enough I can weld them and work the double ingot further.  Especially fun when I'm making my copper and bronze anvils.  I don't even need a forge to do it, I just pit-kiln the metal and weld it while it's still hot.

Also you eventually run out of water.  I'd rather have the water around so I don't need to go find some when I get thirsty during long blacksmithing stints. 

Ya, the cooling chest is for when I'm further processing the ingots.  So I pour my ingots, let them cool down to just below liquid, pop them out, and they're still hot enough I can weld them and work the double ingot further.  Especially fun when I'm making my copper and bronze anvils.  I don't even need a forge to do it, I just pit-kiln the metal and weld it while it's still hot.

Also you eventually run out of water.  I'd rather have the water around so I don't need to go find some when I get thirsty during long blacksmithing stints. 

Ah.  I am fortunate enough to have a fresh water spring a few steps from my back door.

Ooh, I forgot I can partially fill molds, well I guess that solves that.

I've taken to keeping the partial-ingot worth of metals/alloys in the vessel they were melted in and just make sure to add that to the pit-kiln when melting additional metal of the same type.  Then, once re-melted, I pour the partial ingots into whatever mold I'm using first. This is mainly due to habit from the fact that I haven't been able to pour liquid metal from an ingot mold into anythng else (I'm not sure if it just isn't an option, or if I'm missing something; probably the latter ;) ).  This doesn't matter as much once you've gotten a crucible, of course, but my friend and I have only recently found graphite (and forgot to note where, of course :/ ) so for us it mattered.  I've got 900 units of bronze in a vessel waiting to be reheated as needed to get around not being able to remelt ingots in a pit-kiln.

This is mainly due to habit from the fact that I haven't been able to pour liquid metal from an ingot mold into anythng else (I'm not sure if it just isn't an option, or if I'm missing something; probably the latter ;) ).  

Pouring into tool/weapon molds requires a full unshaped ingot at liquid temperature. You can't use partially filled molds to fill weapon/tool molds.

Pouring into tool/weapon molds requires a full unshaped ingot at liquid temperature. You can't use partially filled molds to fill weapon/tool molds.

I could swear I wasn't able to pour a full ingot mold (100 of 100 units) into a tool mold, but it is at quite possible it was less than 100 units and I'm just not remembering correctly. ;)

It also has to be liquid temperature, so if you just barely heated it up enough to open the interface and then the ingot cooled down to solid temperature again, you wouldn't be able to cast it. You'll know it's working because the arrow will animate, it's not like traditional pouring where you can see the mold filling up.