Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
crystalcrag

Insane wild crops regeneration

6 posts in this topic

Alright, I don't know If I'm lucky or if there is something wrong with my world. Basically every summer, I find a ridiculous amount of wild crops. It started with maize, in year 1006 if I remember well:

Posted Image

This screenshot does not make justice to the amount of maize there was: about 7 or 8 stacks of 160oz, plus rice, wheat, barley and squash not very far:

Posted Image

Wheat and barley almost everywhere, guess I'm lucky so far. There was so much though, that I didn't harvest everything, thinking that they will disappear naturally.

Posted Image

Another area, same year (1006), loads and loads of red bell pepper, lettuce (like 15 or so stacks) and rye. Okay, starting to get suspicious now.

Posted Image

Then I came back to the land with the loads of maize/wheat/barley, in autumn 1007. Everything grew back from year 1006, plus more.

Posted Image

This is about half the crops harvested. That seems wrong: it is so much more than what I find around my main base (about 1000 blocks north).

Then I saw there was an option in TFC: enableCropsDie, which was set to false until now. So I set it to true and come back to this area (half of the crops were still there) to see if they would disappear. And indeed they did, for the most part. This time I harvested everything I could find.

Posted Image

Then, I came back to these areas in early summer 1008: everything grew back, plus more.

This is with TFC 79.18, it is a little bit old, but I didn't see anything related to this problem in the changelog.

Also, all these places were transit areas: I usually travel through these regions by horse, rarely stops more than a few in-game hour. Around my main base, where I spent about 10 months per year, there is barely any wild crops growing around.

It is kind of overly specific, but I wonder if anybody else noticed this kind of behavior: transit into an area and see the amount of crops increasing year after year.

This effect occurs in warm areas of wild crops spawn, every year event spawn more and more crops, in cold areas wild crops die from eviromental damage, warm area not have this event like as EL ninõ/La ninã to clear the chunk area from this excessive amount of crops.

Lucky intersection of biome, latitude and precipitation average.  You found the Garden of Eatin. :D

Remember that TFC is balanced towards multiplayer, so that crazy abundance of food in a single player world is not the same on a server, because you have more players eating it.

Happy Diggers is a MP server and have a long term running same map, (look at the number of towns created) (maybe insaneJ, say how many people played in curernt map)

Multiplayer is 2 players? 5/10/50/100 players? 

I make a video to show.

"Multiplayer" in the sense of TFC balancing is a decent-size group of players (2-10) working together as a community. A bunch of players who each have their own individual farm and who are basically just playing single player in close proximity to a bunch of other players is not what we mean when we say "balanced for multiplayer."

As for the video, an area that has a temperature of 30C in late autumn is obviously tropical, and lots of crops in a tropical area is to be expected. All that food also rots a lot faster once you harvest it because the temperature is hotter. Although I will point out one thing I noticed, which might be because Happy Diggers uses Cauldron, which TFC does not offer support for as it causes many issues, is the variety of crops in a small area. This is not normal behavior as the type of crop that grows in an area is based on a 8x8 chunk, or 128x128 block grid.

I can switch it so that naturally generated crops will always die of old age, regardless of what the config option is set to, but that's pretty much the only change that can be done due to the way that Minecraft deals with chunk loading and the fact that pretty much every world has areas that aren't loading during a period of time cold enough to kill all the existing crops in the area before it generates new ones.