Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

General Damage tweaking.

37 posts in this topic

Sounds like a fun experiment!  It does seem like surviving without wild crop food drops would make the game start very hard.   Even with onions, that's 20 days minimum for first garden crops.  And you're far from guaranteed to find onions at the start.   You're going to be after seaweed and animals for a long time.  If the goal is truly to have everyone in one town, then you just really need that first start though.  After some crops, and especially animals and fruit, get going, it should be doable.  You could even cheat in a bit of food at the very start, just to get people past that first bit.  It may even have the effect of making a specific person be the butcher for awhile, so that their skill levels up faster, and everyone can benefit from more meat.  It sounds like a very useful experiment in multiplayer to me!

I would suggest getting rid of beds. The issue we've seen on our server is that in the hours only a couple of our European players are on they sleep away the night. This has resulted in the seasons flying by. Makes it hard for other players to plan and predict. Even with the 360 day year in 12 hours a sleeping player can blow through over 2 months.

The other is the new config where leaves don't drop sapling, not sure if that was your request.

The idea is to discuss as much as possible and tweak all the settings. So it would be a hardcore server, but no banning on death. Just very hard to survive, so people actually need to help each other. 

My plan is to have the server ready by early November. Not sure if open to everyone or just the people that participated in the discussion and are really aware of what it will be needed.

Early game food on any 360 day server is going to be seaweed. Wild crops won't be mature for a bit. Bit of wild game is good too.

The idea is to discuss as much as possible and tweak all the settings. So it would be a hardcore server, but no banning on death. Just very hard to survive, so people actually need to help each other. 

My plan is to have the server ready by early November. Not sure if open to everyone or just the people that participated in the discussion and are really aware of what it will be needed to survive.

My plan is to have the server ready by early November. Not sure if open to everyone or just the people that participated in the discussion and are really aware of what it will be needed to survive.

In any case this is just an idea and like any other idea it would need to be implemented and tested before we would know if it works or not. There is a chance that if you do go and create the config option we after testing would decide not to use it. 

This is exactly why I'm hesitant to add the config option. I happily added the config option for sapling drops for a handful of reasons:

1. There was already code in place to prevent sapling drops for sequoia, acacia, and kapok trees.
  2. The problem of having an abundance of wood doesn't have multiple solutions.
  3. There aren't any existing config options to solve this problem, other than the sapling growth modifier, which players will get around by just planting more saplings.
  4. The config option had a very clear relationship with the problem, and it was obvious adding it was the best solution.

The problem with adding the food config option is that there's already a whole bunch of other ways you can use config options to increase scarcity of food in the game. It's not obvious if making this change is going to give the desired result or not, because there's so many other ways that players can get around it, and there's ways that players might get around it that negatively affect other players on the server (like killing all the livestock because they need meat as starter food).

In essence, the whole reason that you asked for this config option in the first place is because you feel there is a problem with food being too abundant. I do not agree that adding this config option solves that problem, and I would prefer that there be discussion to come up with an alternative solution.

Edited by Kittychanley

I think you are wright. I still want to do a test in single player. Maybe once the .25 comes it will be better.

If I understood correctly, most of my concerns were already fixed for the next update.

Maybe I am trying to change something that is already fixed.

In any case thanks for the clarification. I should have the server up this week and will start testing, lets see how it goes.

The more you say the more I get convinced it was not a good idea to start with.

I will use the existing config options and Know it will take a lot of tweaking. I don't know how we will deal with wild life extinction. It really is a problem.

Maybe since it will be a collaborative  effort we can avoid most of the excess. Let's see.

One more time thanks to all that commented in this tread you gave me much to think. 

I would suggest getting rid of beds. The issue we've seen on our server is that in the hours only a couple of our European players are on they sleep away the night. This has resulted in the seasons flying by. Makes it hard for other players to plan and predict. Even with the 360 day year in 12 hours a sleeping player can blow through over 2 months.

The other is the new config where leaves don't drop sapling, not sure if that was your request.

Yes.. I am really thankful to kitty for that. It makes so you cannot create tree farms. And if you really want a specific wood you have to travel to the places where it is native or trade for it..

After some testing I was able to survive without eating any wild crops, but only because I stayed close to the beach with easy access to seaweed. Had to butcher 2 pigs though.

One of the issues is that fishing is not available until metals.

Maybe when we finally start the server we can have one person exclusively diving for squids or preferably bass if we have a deep lake close by the advantage would be to increase that person butchering skills.

Wish we had visible sea fishes that we could harpoon.

Has anyone been able to add the animals plus to a server without overpopulation?

... but fish is already a very visible mob now. Snatch a bow from a skeleton and you can actively fish without a fishing rod.

... but fish is already a very visible mob now. Snatch a bow from a skeleton and you can actively fish without a fishing rod.

You can also just wade in and get them with a knife or throw javelins at them.

that's what I usually do, with a javelin. But bass is not always present in Lakes and they do not spawn in Ocean or rivers.

I wish we had some kind of salt water fish.