Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Xechon

Anvil Randomization

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which method do you prefer?

• Slightly randomize completion value (green arrow) for every worked object
    • Randomize hit numbers per world
    • Slightly randomize each hit
    • Don't change it

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): 
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.
Yes

I've seen a lot of argument about numbers being revealed for anvil crafting in TFC. It seems that the developer's intention is to keep the numbers secret, which I personally agree with. However, there are a few options I see for reducing the potential for a leak to take the fun out of smithing for some new players, or limiting the ability for people to figure out the numbers. Please vote for options you would like to see, or post your own in the comments.

Randomizing the position of the green arrow slightly per item would not eliminate the numbers, but would make them less meaningful than getting a feel for each button, as the person counting numbers would have to re-calculate for every item, and as a side-affect would make the crafting of every item slightly different.

Randomizing the hit numbers per world would disallow for people to simply learn the values and use them to make perfect tools in every world. They would at least need to figure it out again every world, and people can't spoil the fun for others.

Randomizing minimally per hit would make smithing a perfect tool more difficult, unless an acceptable range was implemented, but would make smithing a much more experimental process every time, and would make knowing the numbers almost moot. This may end up more frustrating than beneficial, however.

A combination is also possible, which is why I opened the poll up to multiple options per person. I personally prefer the first option, but would like to see what you all think. Option one could be handled by generating a random modifier to add to the crafting value when it is stored in nbt, two may require redirecting access to some values to the Anvil Tile Entity if the seed isn't public static, and the third could be handled by adding a random modifier to each hit. I can provide code if requested.

I very much hope this is distinct enough from this.

Edited by Xechon

The location of the red arrow, which is the one that does not move, and is your final target, is already randomized per world, and per item. So a wrought iron pickaxe head uses a different pattern than a steel pickaxe head. That steel pickaxe head will also use a different pattern in a different world.

If you have proof that this isn't the case, which is why you made this suggestion, then that is a bug and not intended behavior, so the proof would be appreciated so we can work on fixing it. Otherwise this suggestion is basically already implemented in the game.

The primary issue with randomizing the actions themselves and how much movement they do, is that we need to be 100% certain that no matter the randomization, getting the arrows to line up is actually possible.

Edited by Kittychanley

If this is a reaction to that 'smithing guide' post in the guides forum, that popped up today, that was a necro of a very old thread.  I don't think there's been a lot of discussion about this topic recently.  Per Kitty's point, I think the only way to bring randomization to the hit buttons would be to have several sets of pre-selected numbers that are known to work, and each world/player seed picks a set.  Then it's just a matter of figuring out which set the player/world uses though.  Personally I'm good with the system as it is really.

If you add a "don't change things at all" checkbox to your poll, then perhaps people will feel able to fill it in...

The location of the red arrow, which is the one that does not move, and is your final target, is already randomized per world, and per item. So a wrought iron pickaxe head uses a different pattern than a steel pickaxe head. That steel pickaxe head will also use a different pattern in a different world.

If you have proof that this isn't the case, which is why you made this suggestion, then that is a bug and not intended behavior, so the proof would be appreciated so we can work on fixing it. Otherwise this suggestion is basically already implemented in the game.

The primary issue with randomizing the actions themselves and how much movement they do, is that we need to be 100% certain that no matter the randomization, getting the arrows to line up is actually possible.

I completely overlooked the patterns being possible. This would limit the options too significantly to be useful, and the only way I can think to fix that is to make control more fine, which would just make smithing a lot easier on its own. The randomization per world is working fine, and I swear I'm not red-green colorblind, can't believe I mixed them up.

If this is a reaction to that 'smithing guide' post in the guides forum, that popped up today, that was a necro of a very old thread.  I don't think there's been a lot of discussion about this topic recently.  Per Kitty's point, I think the only way to bring randomization to the hit buttons would be to have several sets of pre-selected numbers that are known to work, and each world/player seed picks a set.  Then it's just a matter of figuring out which set the player/world uses though.  Personally I'm good with the system as it is really.

You're right, I should've checked the date on that post. The values could be calculated from the necessary information instead of preset, but it wouldn't be worth it and the options would be limited.

If you add a "don't change things at all" checkbox to your poll, then perhaps people will feel able to fill it in...

Should have kept the second question to one option in hindsight. I was just trying to keep that out of the multiple choice. I'll change it, although I don't know what it will do to the existing vote, and the point of the poll is moot now.