Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
soulion

Apiculture in TFC2?

Do you think apiculture is a good idea for TFC2?   45 members have voted

1. 1. whats your opinion?

• yes,it is a great idea.
    • I like it,but it would be better if...(comment below)
    • This not a good idea because i dont like being stinged.
    • this is a idea that TFC2 doesnt need.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes.
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

Honey bees might be nothing significant in TFC2 if they are added,but would be fairly interesting to get into.

Why should honeybees be added? To give the player something of a challenge to do in tfc if they are bored,give honey in a way to add to the flavor of food to help it suit your players taste,say your player likes sweeter foods but has bitter food so they use honey to counter it,it could also give a way to increase fertility of certain plants and give you a more bountiful harvest,it could also give honey in a way of food preservation for fruits(fact of the day:honey never spoils,they have found still edible honey in a egyptian tomb),the honey could be the start of a medicine system in tfc,as it is a natural anti biotic, and also raise awareness about honeybees and there fragile state of today.

What should honeybees be like if they were added to tfc? 

-Hives at the start of the game will be in hollow trees in temperate biomes,and near the equator they could be in holes and in trees with out much cover.

-a beginning player can use smoke to evacuate the bees and take the beeswax and honeycomb,making it a delicacy and a somewhat of a food source of food that never spoils,this is easy to do,but it will destroy the bee colony and they will die.the player can also have a farm with flowering species and the bees will increase your harvest,and will do better as well.

-Later in the game the player can possibily make use of skeps that could be made of clay and straw,and could be made with a weaving system later on if ever implemented.The player can collect swarms(could be done by shaking into burlap bag,swarms are docile usually), which are seeds of a existing hive and put it in these skeps,or have a small chance of them moving in depending on distance from a existing beehive.But,again,harvesting bees from these skeps result in destroying the entire hive.these skeps are also more likely to swarm due to being in a small space.hollowed logs could also be utilized like skeps.

-once the player has wood working tools,they can start building top bar hives and can have a frame management system,the pros of this means theres more sustainability with the honey bees with movable combs on bars.but a con is its more complicated than just burning the bees out,you must leave some honey with the bees in colder climates to survive the winter.

-the player could wear thick clothing and primitive veils to protect themselves from bees,and with the player being around 1000 HP,a single bee sting could  take 1 HP,and with it taking over a thousand bee stings for it to be life threatening,it plays perfectly in,but it could suck if they have an 200 HP player.

-The bees could look like what they are in forestry,or atleast in that way,it would be rediculous for them to be mobs,there are over 40,000 bees in a hive.you could see bees as an ambience feature(possibly we could have other insects as an ambience feature as well?that might be a later topi of mine.)if you see bees coming after you and bouncing off you,that means you are considered a threat and you will take random 1 HP damage that will increase in frequency unless your wearing a suit,and will leave you alone after you go a certain distance.

I hope i have made a good thesis for implementing honey bees in TFC2  and hope the developers will look into it.

I love the **** out of bees (Ah Muzen Cab!), and I would love to see them implemented with hives as you described, but with actual mobs. The way forestry grind my gears so much, and it feels that there is nothing happening except a block with AoE properties, it is very un-organic.

If you attack a hive bee mobs should come out and attack you, and I was thinking if this is possible, make them as small as possible (only a few pixels across) and have each hive have  ~20 worker bees, plus a queen. Worker bees would fly around to nearby flowers and back to the hive randomly, and if you start breaking the hive, or attack a worker bee the other bees would spawn at the hive and attack you, doing 10-30 damage but ignoring armor (unless you are wearing the  bee suit), and would fly very fast, and buzz around you, with about 40 HP each

I think bee breeding should be a thing, with hives making crops grow anywhere from a little to A LOT faster, depending on how good the bees are. Bears should attack beehives. Eating honey should reduce bad effects by 30~ seconds, as well as making bread tastier. 

there was a lot of things i didnt touch on about the bees,i am a bee keeper IRL actually.i just wanted some light shown about bees in tfc,but thank you for feed back!

I love the **** out of bees (Ah Muzen Cab!), and I would love to see them implemented with hives as you described, but with actual mobs. The way forestry grind my gears so much, and it feels that there is nothing happening except a block with AoE properties, it is very un-organic.

If you attack a hive bee mobs should come out and attack you, and I was thinking if this is possible, make them as small as possible (only a few pixels across) and have each hive have  ~20 worker bees, plus a queen. Worker bees would fly around to nearby flowers and back to the hive randomly, and if you start breaking the hive, or attack a worker bee the other bees would spawn at the hive and attack you, doing 10-30 damage but ignoring armor (unless you are wearing the  bee suit), and would fly very fast, and buzz around you, with about 40 HP each

I think bee breeding should be a thing, with hives making crops grow anywhere from a little to A LOT faster, depending on how good the bees are. Bears should attack beehives. Eating honey should reduce bad effects by 30~ seconds, as well as making bread tastier. 

I think this is a great idea for a TFC2 modpack.

(not in the core mod - too finicky)

I think this is a great idea for a TFC2 modpack.

(not in the core mod - too finicky)

This what i usually agree with many suggestions in the forums,because everyone has different opinions about them,add ons  give the player a choice to choose what they want and dont.

I think it'd be a fun addition, in combination with rebalancing of the food system.  Because without rebalancing food, I don't see much use for it.  The most obvious and immediate uses are crop related.  Having bees near your crops and fruit stuff causes them to yield more.  And I think that's a good use.  Because right now it's pretty easy to get food in all but the most extreme climates.  Fruit trees, especially.  I think fruit trees could be made to only yield a trivial amount per block, unless bees are nearby, then it increases to something like current.   IRL,  the bee industry is largely driven by actually transporting massive amounts of bees to the almond groves in California every year.  Huge industry.    So if someone doesn't want to bother with bees, natural beehives would be another bonus thing to look for near the base

Of course there's honey and wax, but they'd need real uses, otherwise why bother?  I don't think minor food taste alteration is enough.  Healing uses sound good though (in combination with other materials).  And wax can be worked into gemology (if it comes in) and probably be worked into magic somehow.  It might be fun to have bees propogate flowers as well, though not useful strictly speaking.

If you want to get really hardcore, then garden-grown crops would not produce seeds if not pollinated by bees (wild crops would always make seeds of course).

I could further imagine beekeeping clothing being made from burlap, giving a currently useless material a use.

The bee system itself could be as simple or as complicated as justified by the amount and importance of its uses, naturally.

Having bees near your crops and fruit stuff causes them to yield more.  And I think that's a good use.  Because right now it's pretty easy to get food in all but the most extreme climates.  Fruit trees, especially.  I think fruit trees could be made to only yield a trivial amount per block, unless bees are nearby, then it increases to something like current.   IRL,  the bee industry is largely driven by actually transporting massive amounts of bees to the almond groves in California every year.  Huge industry.   

Yes, I think fruit would bee a great niche for bees to fit into, as well as magic, but I think we would have to work out a magic system before we fit bees into it.

-The bees could look like what they are in forestry,or atleast in that way,it would be rediculous for them to be mobs,there are over 40,000 bees in a hive.you could see bees as an ambience feature(possibly we could have other insects as an ambience feature as well?that might be a later topi of mine.)if you see bees coming after you and bouncing off you,that means you are considered a threat and you will take random 1 HP damage that will increase in frequency unless your wearing a suit,and will leave you alone after you go a certain distance.

To add on to this idea, what if the bees had the ambience while in the hive, to show that the bees were working. The ambience changed based on how happy and productive your bees are (more particles/ less particles)

In addition, how about a mob that is a swarm of bees. Instead of having individual bees a swarm would just be rendered as many different ones but be one entity. A swarm could be docile, when it is looking to colonize, or angry, when you have provoked the hive. An angry swarm will attack the player dealing very little dammage, but as it looses hp the mob renders less and less bees.

This would be pretty rad! I'm guessing it would be fairly low on the backlog priority though :P

To add on to this idea, what if the bees had the ambience while in the hive, to show that the bees were working. The ambience changed based on how happy and productive your bees are (more particles/ less particles)

In addition, how about a mob that is a swarm of bees. Instead of having individual bees a swarm would just be rendered as many different ones but be one entity. A swarm could be docile, when it is looking to colonize, or angry, when you have provoked the hive. An angry swarm will attack the player dealing very little dammage, but as it looses hp the mob renders less and less bees.

I actually keep bees,and bee swarms are actually very docile,you can stick your hand in them and stuff.

Why does this thread keep on popping up? (grrrrr)

Why does this thread keep on popping up? (grrrrr)

Bee-cause it gets a lot of buzz!!!......!......

Maybe instead of going as far as plant cross breeding or mahogany doors (reference wink wink), just keep it simple? With random wild gives that you have to break and whilst you try and destroy them you get damage for each tick mining it or something. Then for all you apiarists you could have a simple apiary that over time made honey and produced grass and wild plants around it.

Great idea. I am a huge fan of bees. Forestry and Binnies mods are some of my favorite mods.

-Bee breading and care (feed them sugar/water)

-Bees increase crop growth (maybe add crop and tree breeding [agricraft])

-Mead, honey, Wax candes

To link this post with the animal husbandry one, the grass produced by beehives could help with animal keeping: in summer they would produce grass that would be eaten by the animals, or cut down as hay to give them in winter.

In addition to increasng (or being a requirement?) for crop growth/yield.

Edited by Donjons

If bee mobs are added the could be bred for defensive purposes, to attack hositile mobs, again I think it's really important for some kind of bee mobs to be added, without them it feels horribly stale and bland. (forestry)

I am one of those who hate Forestry. It is too grindy and takes too long to be useful. If there were to be bees in tfc2 let it just be for making an alternative to sugarcane and nothing more.

While bee keeping has been suggested before, all of those posts are a little to modern for my taste and would like to suggest my version with some unique additions including honey wasps and poisonous/psychedelic honey. Here is how I would suggest.

Features:

Different bee species spawn in different biomes. No bees spawn in winter biomes or desert (no honey bees naturally live in these areas). The rarest species is the giant honey bee that only live on the sides of cliffs. They produce a red honey that is said to be psychoactive. They are the only bees that cannot bee raised in captivity, however they counter that they produce tons of honey  ( up to 150 pounds a year irl). The only other species you cannot "officially" raise is the honey wasp which is not extremely aggressive but will attack unless properly sedated. While they cannot be transferred once the nest is broken it will resplendent in a in game week within a 20 block radius thus they can be repeatedly be harvested. One thing I don't see often is sedating the bees. To do this would require the player to place a torch or lit fire under the hive and wait. Once the hive is sedated you are free to break the hive. 

Honey would be another topic that needs to be discussed in detail. Honey should work like this the bees hive scans a 50*50 area for flowers and then generates a honey based around the flowers, trees, bushes, etc found. If there is more than one flower found it become a wildflower or multiflower honey, if only one pollen source  (any pollen source) is found it creates a monofloral honey which has special properties and tastes depending on the source. If said flower source is magical said honey would also be magical (red honey produce by the giant bees was used in alchemy). 

The type of hive suggested in most mod suggestions are what are called hive frames which are still a fairly new invention, in the olden days they used a top bar hive which is basically a half barrel with bars across the top. Another primitive version is a straw bee skep which is basically a bee hive shaped basket. Both of which are very primitive and we're around in the time period of tfc.

Another rarer type of bee that can be found is the stingless bee which while stingless only produces a small amount of honey because of the hive being so small compared to an average yearly output of honeybees around 75 kg a year they produce only around 1 kg of honey a year. The hives unlike regular classic bee hives are exclusively found in tree trunks and crevices. The honey produced is also quite unique often described as sour and tangy. Another unique feature I would like is the addition of a biomes called the black oak forest in which the rarest magical honeydew honey (which is honey produced by bees who have consumed honeydew).

While honey bees, stingless bees, and honey wasps are the only insects that produce honey several other insects produce sugar substances that have been eaten by humans in primitive times. The aphid family as well as other scale insects produce honey dew which was collected and eaten by native americans. In fact honeydew is often believed to be the Manna depicted in the bible as honeydew forms sweet puff scales that are rich in sugars and vitamins. Honeypot ants are a small species of ants that have specialized type of workers that act as living food storage vessels, they engorge their balloon like abdomin with a thick sugary syrup. 

The last edition would be plants that produce sugar. While everyone knows that minecraft has sugar canes, they are not the only plant that produces sugar. Other crops include sugar beets, Sugar maples (come on maple syrup and maple sugar), sohgrum (makes molasses), palm and bamboo sap (dried and crushed), agave, coconuts, monk fruit, and Yukon tuber.

So overall that is how I would implement bees as well as other sources of sugar.

Sorry to necro this, but I for one would love to keep bees. (cant irl due to sucky city life)

Also, I believe beeswax was also used as a sealant to aid in preservation and watertightness.

The medicinal properties of honey can be used for makeshift treatment of wounds.

Mead of course.

Symbiotic relationship of flowering plants and bees. Bees help plants reproduce and plants help bees gather more nectar for honey.

The taste profile of honey (and consequently mead and preserved food) could be affected by surrounding plants (crops, trees, flowers)

Plus it would be nice for hobbyists who like to use games to relax.

Again, sorry for the necro, but I am hoping for this to either be a mod or core part of TFC2

On 10/29/2015 at 5:53 PM, soulion said:

there was a lot of things i didnt touch on about the bees,i am a bee keeper IRL actually.i just wanted some light shown about bees in tfc,but thank you for feed back!

Dude, you rock.

On 3/3/2017 at 4:58 PM, UltimateCatTree said:

Sorry to necro this, but I for one would love to keep bees. (cant irl due to sucky city life)

Also, I believe beeswax was also used as a sealant to aid in preservation and watertightness.

The medicinal properties of honey can be used for makeshift treatment of wounds.

Mead of course.

Symbiotic relationship of flowering plants and bees. Bees help plants reproduce and plants help bees gather more nectar for honey.

The taste profile of honey (and consequently mead and preserved food) could be affected by surrounding plants (crops, trees, flowers)

Plus it would be nice for hobbyists who like to use games to relax.

Again, sorry for the necro, but I am hoping for this to either be a mod or core part of TFC2

Dude, you rock.

yes, bees need to be a thing, i like the idea when i first see it

BEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

I WANT THEM.