Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
FiGi

Prospector pick usage.

14 posts in this topic

I saw Kitty's vid, but i kinda still cant understand how the prospectors pick works. Some help please? :)

The secret is to find the center point in all directions.

Have to remember that the prospectors pick scans up, down and north,south east and west.

start from the ground, mark the position of each nugget with anything that you want, Thatch blocks, torches, cobble it does not matter, as long as you place something for every nugget you find.

After that, try to find the center point in relation to that.

Dig down, Usually I dig 2 blocks to avoid falling in a cave or lava. Remember to have enough ladder.

I usually go down at least 20 blocks, but keep testing untill you have a positive.

You want to find the 2 places where it changes from sample to bigger sample.

So for example if going down all you can find is trace, small and trace again, mark the place where it changes from trace to smal and mark the other pl;ace wher it changes from small to trace.

Count the blocks between the 2 marks and find the center, Go up or down in your lather to the point and choose a direction, any direction is good.

Suppose North. Now you will need to use support beams, Make a inverted U on the wall with 3 blocks high and 3 blocks wide, place the support beams, dig 3 blocks in that direction and place another U of support beams, Rinse and repeat. Keep placing suppoprt every 3 blocks, ( There are ways to save material here, but it would be easy to explain in a diagram.

In any case here again you want to find the center of the place where the prospect changes values. Now when you started digging you had in this example a small sample, if it changes to trace stop and mark the location, if it goes higher, keep going untill either you find the ore or it starts to get smaller.

Find the center of the biggest change marks.

For example suppose you got a normal sample and it went back to small, Find the center in the direction North-South where it changes from small to normal and back to small.

From there dig in the direction East-west, the readings will increase or decrease, again find the center, once you get to very large sample, it will be a question of digging up and down again until you find the ore.

I am not a Native English speaker, so am pretty sure others would be able to explain better, but this technique works for me.

Thx for the thorough explanation, i appreciate it. :)

If you're just starting to learn with the prospector's pick, I recommend working with an ore sample close to the surface. This is just so you don't get discouraged with all the digging, supporting, mining, etc. And if it's a nice, flat surface with no obstacles, then it's so easy.

So i found the horizontal center, now how do u find the vertical one? Should i dig floors by floors?

If you found the horizontal center, then the vein is either directly above you, or directly below you. If it's below you, then just dig down. If it's above you, it would probably be smart to take note of the x and z coordinate, and go to that location on the surface and dig down, because digging up is especially dangerous.

Kittychanley has a great tutorial about prospectors pick. Needed to watch it over to get it right. Thx guys for the help. ;)

Dunk did a good tutorial on this too - I think he approached it from a different angle.

Dunk's method lets you save durability on your pickaxe, but will put you on the edge of the vein. The method in my video puts you dead center in the vein, which also means you'll most likely encounter the densest part of the vein instead of an area that has lots of stone between the ore blocks.

That's true - I'd forgotton - it's probably not as safe now either with caveins :)

I was primarily pointing out an alternative method (I use your method)

I have a related question. Does the propick just show where the ore's generated or where they are? IE, if you've mined out most of the vein, will it reduce it's reading? Or will it always say "very large sample" because that was what generated there (before I mined it :)  )  (I've got a good Iron Mine and if there's still a lot left there, I don't want to go looking for another)

25 minutes ago, rohan said:

I have a related question. Does the propick just show where the ore's generated or where they are? IE, if you've mined out most of the vein, will it reduce it's reading?

It give real readings, once vein is being depleted, you will got readings reduced to small or traces.

Like Ciekma says, you're getting actual readings.  It counts the actual blocks in a 12-block radius of you every time you use it.  If you mined out the heart of the vein and it's still giving VL, it's possible there's simply a lot of diffuse ore around the boundaries of where you mined.  But if you didn't go down to the next stone layer, it's also possible there's more below, or even above.  It's a lot easier to tell what's going on if you do gallery mining instead of more haphazard techniques.

Thank you. I've been doing a quarry, but apparently there's still a lot more to go. :)