Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Crysyn

Only help if you can be helpful

Hey All, A topic has come up of late in the IRC channel in regards to the general feel of the forums and the community that supports them. Things have progressed further than I would have liked with out this being addressed more publicly because I would much rather have snubbed this out sooner rather than later.. but I have been busy. Here is the general rule I would like people to follow: Wheaton's Law "Don't be a dick." Those of you from the IRC channel know that this is the only rule I ask people in there to follow and we generally have a good and lively time chatting about all manner of things. This is basic rule that just about everyone understands and I am going to expand it to the forums from here moving forward. If you can not help people in a helpful and polite manner then I simply ask you to stop. Now I generally take a back seat to moderating the forums as I like to participate in the suggestions forum fairly heavily at times and would rather do so as a forums user than a moderator. But I am also fairly well known for being the person who constantly puts their foot down and so I am stepping up and doing so on here. If you find yourself unable to respond to a message politely then I ask that you do not respond. This mostly focuses on the increasing level of hostility found within the Suggestion forum as well as the Server forum. I do not care if this is the 30th some odd time you have seen someone make the same suggestion. Or even if the new post on an older topic is one entry above the old one. I expect the members of this forum to respond politely to the user, new or old, and point to the older topic if it applies and even go the extra step to suggest they either add in new information or to summarize the outcome of the previous discussion based upon the new post's entry into it. That is what we are here for, that is why I close most topics instead of deleting them, so that they can be found and referenced down the road. The next topic is the slew of derailment attempts I have seen as of late. If you want to have fun and joke around that is what the off topic forum is for and pretty much anything goes there. I do not expect to read a suggestion thread and have to go through 3 pages of image memes people have shot back and forth. Quite simply this is a waste of my time to read and then have to clean up. Now for the summary. I am going to start taking a more active role, especially in policing the suggestion forum, and handing out warn levels to people whom I see doing this. These will be indiscriminate and applied not to just the first person who derails or is impolite on a topic or response, but to everyone whom follows the lead of that person. As I do not like doing things with out giving you all warning this post shall serve as that warning. If you have a desire to bring this topic up with me then I invite you to do so on the IRC channel. Lets raise the level of quality and grow the community. Let us not descend into the quality often found on the minecraft or league of legend forums. There is simply no need for that here. Be passionate about things, just do not be abusive.
    • Kittychanley

Offline Servers

Recently I've seen a few server listings showing up on the first page of the Servers forum that have been closed for an extended period of time, but have recently gotten a reply from a new member who didn't realize the server is offline. To help prevent this from happening in the future, it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the report function on the original post of any servers that have been confirmed as offline, so that the topic may be locked. If you are the admin of a server and plan on taking the server offline, please use the report function on the original post of your topic to let the TFC Staff know that the topic should be locked. If you are the admin of a server that has a locked topic, and would wish to bring the server back online, please use the report function on the original post of the topic to let the TFC Staff know that the topic should be unlocked. As always, please remember to follow rule #3 of the servers forum and update your topic title to contain the version of TFC that the server is currently running. You can do so by editing the OP, and then clicking on "Use Full Editor."
Vorpal_theFox

[Request] Enhanced immersion w/ plant Mega pack and Mo' Creatures

8 posts in this topic

So i'm an avid fan of immersion, and TFC is the best mod for that, with the realistic generation, activities, and enhanced survival compared to almost every mod out there, but recently I've been shown another mod that has another kind of immersion.

Although still incomparable to TFC, this other mod, Plant Mega Pack, adds 234 plants spanning every single biome, 47 flowers of all kinds of variety, 50 aquatic plants, and 27 crops, of which 9 crops are aquatic. This level of immersion goes hand in hand with TFC, and if it were to have recipe changes and tweaks that would set it even more in the world of TFC then just there and giving vanilla items, this would make Minecraft feel the way countless people would enjoy.

But immersion can go a step further, as there's 2 sides of wildlife, and what would do TFC better than more animals to populate the world? Perhaps a little easier to accommodate, Mo' creatures has a surplus of animals for every corner of the world with all walks of life, from the deep oceans to the highest mountains, and every biome between. what can help a starving survivalist more than 5 additional sources of protein to hunt? Mo' Creatures is the type of mod that has its foot already in the door, as DrZhark's horses have been in Minecraft since 1.6 snapshots as far back as April of 2013! wow That extra step into realism and variety is enough to almost triple the play time of any session with much more to explore!

I personally wouldn't know where to start or what tools to use to connect these ends together for a more unified circle. I'm not a mod developer, and i'm only a beginner at programming, my knowledge is limited compared to the dynamic intelligence and dexterity of the people here improving the mod and feel of the game.

A key thing to remember is that TFC overhauls the health and food systems. In order to implement mobs from another mod, you'll have to do something to change their health and the damage they deal to be on the TFC scale. Food from any other mod also will not work unless it was written explicitly to be compatible with TFC, and you will not be able to eat it.

TFC also does not use the traditional biome system for world generation. Everything is based on climate, so that needs to be taken into consideration if you are wanting to spawn specific plants in specific areas.

There are mods that can tweak mob health and change their drops, so even though it would not be easy it is feasible.

The part that bothers is about the climate, because tfc calls a plain in the North pole and one in the equator by the same name, so unless a animal or plant is specifically coded to use tfc climate you will have polar bears in the hot deserts and palm trees in the Tundra.

In my mind the best solution would be if tfc adopted a system that renamed the biome according to the climate, so plains would turn into frozen plains or temperate plains or very hot plains.

The problem is that I am no coder and as easy as it is for me to propose this, I have no idea how hard it would be to implement.

I still believe that this change would bring compatibility with all the mods that add plants, animals and or blocks based on biome.

Since compatibility is a 2 way road there would still be the need for the other mod to add a config file where we could change the spawn biome .

A key thing to remember is that TFC overhauls the health and food systems. In order to implement mobs from another mod, you'll have to do something to change their health and the damage they deal to be on the TFC scale. Food from any other mod also will not work unless it was written explicitly to be compatible with TFC, and you will not be able to eat it.

TFC also does not use the traditional biome system for world generation. Everything is based on climate, so that needs to be taken into consideration if you are wanting to spawn specific plants in specific areas.

I knew beforehand that it wouldn't be an easy change to make the mods work together, it would take impressive work that not many people would be willing to put forth with little benefit. But it's still amazing to think of what it would be like with these mods working together :P(even though i'd care more for the plants than the mo' creatures) Maybe one day they will be more compatible :3

PMP is closed source. I reported issues that exist in TFC world. Dev is helpful, but has moved on to 1.8 mostly. So the way it works now is best you'll get. We run it in our big modpack with tweaked config and it works well enough.

I've played on TFC servers using the PMP mod and find it mostly a distraction.  Only a very few of the plants are actually useful and some, like bamboo are way too OP. 

It does look rather amazing though. :)

I do think that something needs to be added to the Oceans, just like in Vanilla MC, it's mostly just wasted space. 

There are TFC modpacks out there that add some of these features, you just need to look around.  ;)

The plant mega pack is an incredible resource. With the right settings to keep the plant numbers down and eliminate any of the OP things like building from bamboo it can be a great addition. I have been playing TFC with PMP making custom recipes that use many of the plants in the way the indigenous peoples did.  rope, string, medicine etc. I am still shaping it up but with the recent addition of the Minetweaker TFC compatibility  plugin I hope to have a script available for people soon. I have a mod pack on the technic platform and may share it in the mod pack section, I am brand new to the forum and don't know all the rules yet, so forgive my caution here. I have tried a great many things to bring Mo' creatures into TFC and I think it is a no go.

Hello Dulakaba, I would love to use PMP in terrafirmacraft with plant recipes, especially in more balanced version :) Also interested in your modpack ^^