Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vorpal_theFox

[Request] Enhanced immersion w/ plant Mega pack and Mo' Creatures

12 posts in this topic

So i'm an avid fan of immersion, and TFC is the best mod for that, with the realistic generation, activities, and enhanced survival compared to almost every mod out there, but recently I've been shown another mod that has another kind of immersion.

Although still incomparable to TFC, this other mod, Plant Mega Pack, adds 234 plants spanning every single biome, 47 flowers of all kinds of variety, 50 aquatic plants, and 27 crops, of which 9 crops are aquatic. This level of immersion goes hand in hand with TFC, and if it were to have recipe changes and tweaks that would set it even more in the world of TFC then just there and giving vanilla items, this would make Minecraft feel the way countless people would enjoy.

But immersion can go a step further, as there's 2 sides of wildlife, and what would do TFC better than more animals to populate the world? Perhaps a little easier to accommodate, Mo' creatures has a surplus of animals for every corner of the world with all walks of life, from the deep oceans to the highest mountains, and every biome between. what can help a starving survivalist more than 5 additional sources of protein to hunt? Mo' Creatures is the type of mod that has its foot already in the door, as DrZhark's horses have been in Minecraft since 1.6 snapshots as far back as April of 2013! wow That extra step into realism and variety is enough to almost triple the play time of any session with much more to explore!

I personally wouldn't know where to start or what tools to use to connect these ends together for a more unified circle. I'm not a mod developer, and i'm only a beginner at programming, my knowledge is limited compared to the dynamic intelligence and dexterity of the people here improving the mod and feel of the game.

A key thing to remember is that TFC overhauls the health and food systems. In order to implement mobs from another mod, you'll have to do something to change their health and the damage they deal to be on the TFC scale. Food from any other mod also will not work unless it was written explicitly to be compatible with TFC, and you will not be able to eat it.

TFC also does not use the traditional biome system for world generation. Everything is based on climate, so that needs to be taken into consideration if you are wanting to spawn specific plants in specific areas.

There are mods that can tweak mob health and change their drops, so even though it would not be easy it is feasible.

The part that bothers is about the climate, because tfc calls a plain in the North pole and one in the equator by the same name, so unless a animal or plant is specifically coded to use tfc climate you will have polar bears in the hot deserts and palm trees in the Tundra.

In my mind the best solution would be if tfc adopted a system that renamed the biome according to the climate, so plains would turn into frozen plains or temperate plains or very hot plains.

The problem is that I am no coder and as easy as it is for me to propose this, I have no idea how hard it would be to implement.

I still believe that this change would bring compatibility with all the mods that add plants, animals and or blocks based on biome.

Since compatibility is a 2 way road there would still be the need for the other mod to add a config file where we could change the spawn biome .

A key thing to remember is that TFC overhauls the health and food systems. In order to implement mobs from another mod, you'll have to do something to change their health and the damage they deal to be on the TFC scale. Food from any other mod also will not work unless it was written explicitly to be compatible with TFC, and you will not be able to eat it.

TFC also does not use the traditional biome system for world generation. Everything is based on climate, so that needs to be taken into consideration if you are wanting to spawn specific plants in specific areas.

I knew beforehand that it wouldn't be an easy change to make the mods work together, it would take impressive work that not many people would be willing to put forth with little benefit. But it's still amazing to think of what it would be like with these mods working together :P(even though i'd care more for the plants than the mo' creatures) Maybe one day they will be more compatible :3

PMP is closed source. I reported issues that exist in TFC world. Dev is helpful, but has moved on to 1.8 mostly. So the way it works now is best you'll get. We run it in our big modpack with tweaked config and it works well enough.

I've played on TFC servers using the PMP mod and find it mostly a distraction.  Only a very few of the plants are actually useful and some, like bamboo are way too OP. 

It does look rather amazing though. :)

I do think that something needs to be added to the Oceans, just like in Vanilla MC, it's mostly just wasted space. 

There are TFC modpacks out there that add some of these features, you just need to look around.  ;)

The plant mega pack is an incredible resource. With the right settings to keep the plant numbers down and eliminate any of the OP things like building from bamboo it can be a great addition. I have been playing TFC with PMP making custom recipes that use many of the plants in the way the indigenous peoples did.  rope, string, medicine etc. I am still shaping it up but with the recent addition of the Minetweaker TFC compatibility  plugin I hope to have a script available for people soon. I have a mod pack on the technic platform and may share it in the mod pack section, I am brand new to the forum and don't know all the rules yet, so forgive my caution here. I have tried a great many things to bring Mo' creatures into TFC and I think it is a no go.

Hello Dulakaba, I would love to use PMP in terrafirmacraft with plant recipes, especially in more balanced version :) Also interested in your modpack ^^

I will be releasing some info in a short time. In the final polishing stages as this point.

Be aware Technic is a no go on these forums. 

Well, that shoots my project in the foot. Spent all day beta testing the new mod pack. Everything is working great but if Techic is "no go" the point is kind of lost. Guess it is time to do some searches and find out why this is so.

My mod pack is ready and is in beta, I am sorting out the FTB version and double checking some forum rules, but barring any issues it should be in the mods section early Feb 2017.

EDIT: Mod Pack is now in Mod Pack forum under the name TFC360

Edited by Dulakaba
Update