Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Myhc

[Solved] Saplings, trees, and axe AOE?

6 posts in this topic

Hours and days of searching and I only get the trees page on the wiki. Google is not your friend in the slightest when you are trying to find a TFC solution.

I just have a couple questions regarding....well read the title.

1. I've seen videos where people grow a wall of douglas fir. The saplings are right next to each other. In my world they don't grow even though all climate requirements are met. Do they have to be a certain distance from each other? If so then how are people growing tree walls?

2. Early on when I upgraded to a copper axe, I noticed that when I chopped a tree down, all trees in a six or seven block radius would also get chopped down. I thought that was awesome but it hasn't happened since that one copper axe, even though I now am at the black steel tier. Do select axes have an area of effect or what?

I apologize if these questions have been addressed in the past but I haven't found them. I'm well aware of and familiar with the wiki's page on trees and it doesn't answer my questions so please don't post its link, as it's useless.

Edited by Kittychanley
Moved to Support forum.

to answer the "wood wall" question, plant your saplings every other block and you should get similar results. and with the axe, i guess it would depend on the type of tree and how far apart they are, an acacia forest for example does that regularly cause the upper branches are pretty much all connected. the only real bonus that upgraded metal tiers have, as far as i know, is a faster harvest time and less chance to lose logs (if i remember right the stone axe in particular has like a 20% chance to not yield a drop, dont quote me on that though)

1.  Those were probably old videos.  The 'wood wall' is an exploit and I think the devs tried to fix it.  I thought they had to be more like 4 blocks apart but I guess I don't know for sure.  Maybe it depends on tree type?

2. Trees can generate pretty close on world gen, which will sometimes cause them to be 'linked'.  And like Mathias says acacias are especially prone to it.  Later naturally generated saplings are supposed to spawn no closer than 8 blocks from another tree, making it less likely they will be linked.  But saplings placed by the player can be closer.   Was the difference about the time that you switched from mostly cutting down natural trees, to cutting down farmed ones?

I'm guessing you meant to post this in Support, and not Suggestions?

1. The wall of trees was an exploit in old versions of the mod. It is no longer possible to do, which is why you can't find any information on it.
  2. Axes have no area of effect, which is why you can't find any information on it. When you chop the bottom log of a tree, it attempts to chop the entire tree down, as stated on the Trees page of the wiki. If you have two trees of the same type as touching, Minecraft has no way of telling where one tree ends and the other begins, so it just chops down both. That's probably what happened that made you think it was an AOE.

Thanks for your replies! It feels great to be updated haha. I thought I did post this in support, but I'm on my phone so I must have mis-tapped.

The only thing I remain confused on was my experience in chopping 2-4 trees at once earlier on in my world. I'm fairly new to TFC in the span on how long it's been around but I know that they were birch trees i was chopping and most of the time they weren't touching each other. Do leaves count or is it just the logs? Some trees I saw break apart were sometimes about 7-8 blocks away.

Edited by Myhc

Leaves do count, and a single air block gap between the leaves will also work sometimes.