Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
cjhc12

Boats/Rafts

56 posts in this topic

There's a handful of different issues with using multiple dimensions. Off the top of my head the biggest one is orienteering. Minecraft and its mods rely very heavily on using a strictly coordinate-based system to determine an exact location. People are used to using cardinal directions (North, South, East, West) and have associations with them such as climate change going North/South. Imagine just how disorienting it would be as a player if every single island was it's own dimension, and the island was centered on 0,0. Minimap mods would be completely useless other than displaying only the area of the island you are currently on. You also wouldn't be able to have waypoints if you are using a minimap mod that you could see from other islands if they were all their own dimension. So it would be a lot more difficult to remember, "Oh I need to head East to get home" if you don't have some sort of fixed point to guide yourself towards.

Pre-generating worlds would also be essentially impossible using the current tools provided. One would have to be specifically developed to load only a relatively small section of each dimension for a very large number of dimensions. It's infinitely easier to say "Islands are this wide and this far apart, and there are only 9 islands running North/South, so if I generate an area of SizeA by SizeB I'll have pre-generated # of islands for my players to explore without causing world gen lag"

Edit: In addition to that, the behavior of travelling to different dimensions is just a bit wonky, and the codebase for it isn't all that great either. How would we handle death? The default behavior is that when you die you return to the overworld regardless of dimension you died in. I don't know if it's possible to override that behavior or not to be honest.

Edited by Kittychanley

17 hours ago, ChunkHunter said:

I'm curious - What is it that you find strange about having each island in its own dimension?
It will certainly achieve your goal of not being able to swim from island to island - or even, heaven forfend, to the "wrong" island.
I don't see a gameplay problem with switching dimensions instead of simply teleporting (a mechanism you have suggested in earlier posts).
Of course the number of dimensions available to you in MC may be so limited that it's not a practical solution of course.  Alternatively, it might pause a huge problem for servers with pre-generated maps, I don't know.  There may also be major compatability issues with other mods that use alternative dimensions.

(Or have I completely misinterpreted what you wrote?)

I am not talking from a gameplay aspect. Coding that stuff is a bit strange.

I think the biggest problems here are in your last two paragraphs, Kitty - Pregenerating terrain, the mechanics are "a bit wonky", and death/respawning being locked to a specific dimension.  I did suggest that pre-generating maps might be tricky, but it seems that pre-generating maps really only works properly in the default dimension.  I don't honestly see the minimap as being a problem in a "world map" implementation.
Oh well - thanks for humouring my suggestion by at least giving it some thought.

If you're going to have a single dimension with a grid of 9 by <x> islands, then I don't honestly think it's going to be easy preventing someone from travelling to an island where you don't want them to travel to - unless there's perhaps a way of hijacking the "shrinking world border" mechanic they use in the MindCrack servers to have a moving boundary, this time getting bigger in steps when you've fulfilled the prerequisites for travel to the next island (group).

Another potential way of discouraging people from going to the "wrong island" would be to have *significantly* beefier mobs on these islands (I think this has already been mooted).
I'm not a fan of this idea but it's not me who's designing the mod.

Bioxx.
Yes - I think I simply misinterpreted your statement - I'm looking at the game from a player point of view

Edited by ChunkHunter

1 minute ago, ChunkHunter said:

If you're going to have a single dimension with a grid of 9 by <x> islands, then I don't honestly think it's going to be easy preventing someone from travelling to an island where you don't want them to travel to

Unless they are cheating and flying, at which point we're not going to bother to try and stop them anyways because they've already ignored specific design decisions, the only way to get from one island to another without using teleportation is through the water. By making water blocks that players cannot swim or boat through, we effectively stop them from travelling to other islands.

Impeneterable water blocks sounds like the answer - just make sure that you can't swim under them or climb up out of the 'normal' water on top of them ;)   To prevent the latter you could implement some kind of 'shimmering' impeneterable air block to let the player know they have reached the limit of exploration?

And yes, I wasn't talking about flying or other similar things, but flying may well be blocked by a moving world border à la MindCrack.

(I'm trying to sew seeds of thought, so you get what you want from this new mod - not pulling ideas apart for the sake of it)

Using the vanilla world border isn't an option because they have to be rectangular in shape. As players explore different islands in different directions the shape of the explored area definitely won't be rectangular.

If I understand the intended game design, it is to have Islands with increased difficulty as you travel East or West of the Initial Island. From this perspective, I don't see why we would need to artificially prevent the player from skipping an Island or going to the next Island before he/she is ready for that.

It the next Island is harder to survive and the player is suppose to die without the necessary Armor level, that should be enough for players not to go there. If they insist on going and die, that should be their problem.

It could even work as a challenge, like with some  games where the player tries to get to end as the lowest level possible.

The way I see or have understood the discussion so far it will work more or less like this.

Initial Island: You have to survive well enough to get some kind of rudimentary armor and weapon.

Second Island you have to survive enough to upgrade your armor and weapons before you should even try to go to the next island.

And so on and so forth.

So far I have not seeing the reason to try to code some kind of mechanism to prevent the player from by passing this system.

6 minutes ago, TonyLiberatto said:

So far I have not seeing the reason to try to code some kind of mechanism to prevent the player from by passing this system.

Because it's not just the difficulty that's scaling with the islands, it's the resources that you can get from them as well. Imagine if in TFC1 you could completely bypass the progression system and skip straight to red steel just by swimming.

I don't know. I hear your argument, but I still think we could rely on game fighting specifics.

For example, What if on the second Island one hit from a mob would instantly kill a player with no armor. This would require the player to have at least the most rudimentary Armor, lets say leather, before he could try to conquer that Island.

Weapons could also do more damage in a linear way. So even though stone weapons would be enough to go around the first Island and the ones North and South, they would do so little damage on the second Island that it would make impossible for the player to even consider fighting a mob there.

What I am proposing is a progression on Armor and Weapons. this way the player is free to swim or boat to the next Island, but there is no way he will be able to survive long enough to actually mine or collect resources.

I'm not personally in favour of requiring armour of a particular level to progress to a new island.

Yes, there are plus points in using armout, but there are also significant minus points - at least if you're talking real life - plate armour is a swine to move around in - it chafes even if it's been made specifically for you, and it's heavy, resulting in endurance tradeoffs (and yes I *do* have personal experience here).

In game, at least in TFC1, armour uses up a LOT of resources, and unless you get at least some of those resources back by, for example, melting it down to make new armour, then I think I'll stay playing TFC1 with little or no armour. (In my years of playing TFC1 I've only ever made 1 suit of metal armour and that was red steel "because I could").  All the other metal armour I've worn has been from mob drops.

To be very honest I do not like the way tfc2 is going. Instead of a mod it looks more like an Adventure map. But I love tfc so much that I have at least to try and make suggestions. I also need not to judge a mod that I haven't played yet. Who knows, maybe I will like it even more than tfc1.

Since for what I have heard there will be some kind of artificial limitation on the player reaching other Islands I think Armour and weapons is a better option than just removing boats and making swimming impossible.

It would feel more natural.

I always felt that armor should play a bigger role in the mod.

I try to create a mudpack using  progression and JAS but there is only so much that one can do without messing with the actual code.

Yes Armor uses a lot of resources, but maybe the issue is how unnecessary armor is in tfc1. One can play the mod all the way to red/blue steel without ever making armor.

Having an Island world generated will make for the perfect opportunity to make degrees of armor and weapons.  

Surely boating between islands could be controlled simply by having extra-powerful ocean mobs in the borders between islands?  Death at sea is the worst, because all your items go to the bottom of the ocean.  People can play risk-taker easily enough on land as they're likely to be able to outmaneuver the mobs and get their stuff back, but not so on the open ocean.  The question would kind of be how close could two islands theoretically be?  Is there a X-block border around each 4k-ish square sector that land cannot generate in? 

I guess I kind of agree with Tony that if the mob challenge is designed right, maybe the boating between islands doesn't need to be strictly controlled.  It could perhaps be safer, avoiding monsters.  But might not necessarily have to be the only way?  Maybe the player can make their own boat for free and risk death by monster, pay a sea captain for safe passage at some expense, or make a portal, at reduce or free cost?  So there could be several tiers of solution to crossing from island to island?

Edited by Darmo

Mmmh... I prefer boats rather than portals... but some kind of heavy magical cerimony can be a good thing for teleports.

I too like the idea of boats. I used them for exploration and transportation. I also know the strain that traveling fast puts on the server. I am all for boats with less issues. Now I do see a couple good ways of making boats better without increasing stress on the server.

Now the small boats are already like canoes, leave them as is. Have players able to make a large multi-block structure that when given the right resources creates a big slow boat similar to Archimedes ships, that could carry a few barrels. These ships would have a manual control that is left, right, faster, slower. Their speed would vary based on the wind and you aren't getting these up any river as they are too slow and big. They have a durability and can be repaired at the same multi-block structure in which they were made. You would not be able to pick these boats up and when the durability ran out it'd break into sticks and planks just like a vanilla boat. Even though these would be slower than vanilla boats, because it can carry a lot of resources it makes up for that. In addition you should be able to create an item called a captains log. You would put paper into a slot and hit record. It would then keep track of the path you are taking. When you are done recording your path you take it out and put it into the captains log and give it a name. Then when you want to take that path again you can select it in the captains log, set it in a slot, click go and it'll check to see if it's close to the starting coordinate, if it isn't it'll let you know it failed, if it is close to the coordinate it then go to the first coordinate and follows the same path you took last time and you can sit back and relax. Captains log of course needs to be made out of a compass, sextant/astrolabe, spyglass, book and quill. 

Another implementation I could see is creating another large multi-block structure called a port. You provide the port with some supplies and it again spawns a boat that you can't pick up. You sail this boat to another port and when you get out it checks to see if it's in a harbor, if it is it links the port that it was created with to that port. Now when you want to travel or send supplies you no longer have to sail. You essentially go into a very slow teleport which varies the time based on how long it took you to get the boat from one port to the other. What can you do while waiting? Well you could just wait, there also could be a mini-game that takes the same time as the teleport and lets say you fail half way through the mini-game, it would teleport you half way along the path you took and you'd see wreckage of you ship that was lost to a storm/sea dragon/excuse.

The second one minus the mini-game seems the easiest to me and least resource intensive. I'm not sure how to do the first one without the same issues vanilla boats and Archimedes ships have. Maybe the new vanilla boats in minecraft are coded better and you can borrow from that. The island thing works great with the first idea if you make swimming a very tiring and when the player runs out of energy starts drowning. Then when you make the boat with the durability, it loses durability based on time when not in a harbor, and how rough the water is. The water could get rougher the further out from the first island you go. As you get higher tier resources you can upgrade the boat out of stronger stuff to increase the durability allowing you to travel  through rougher water for longer. The harbor I would make super expensive. I'm talking worse than gregtech bad. Takes three people working on it 10 hours a week for three weeks. That way it discourages people from having private harbors. Harbors took a lot to build and were places people gathered for trade and other things. By making it really expensive it would encourage this behavior. What are your thoughts?

Edited by Stroam
one more thought

I like it.  The captain's log idea is very interesting.  Boat travel is definitely one of the more tedious things, so automating that a bit like riding a minecart would be great.    Plus I like more uses for books. 

The mini-game idea is fun.  Although the only really plausible min-game I can think of is a pirate/monster attack, where the player can help the crew fend off the attackers in a large pre-gen ship that they cannot leave.  And maybe the player gets a reward depending on how many of the crew survive (especially the captain).  This of course would only apply in a paid passage scenario.  I can't really think of much for a small boat solo journey.  It's not going to be big enough for deck combat. 

I think there would be a risk of annoying the players with mini-games that are not sufficiently entertaining/rewarding. I think many people would rather just take the manual boat ride than risk having a shipwreck because they failed a minigame.  That would be super-annoying, especially if they lost goods they were transporting.  On the other hand, if the barrels were washed up on shore, and it wasn't too insanely hard to rebuild the ship, it might be somewhat  interesting.  Even more interesting might be if the 'shipwreck island' were it's own world, like the nether, and procedurally generated each time a player wrecks there.  The island is small-ish, and contains the things necessary for the player to escape, and once they leave they cannot return.  Such an island could have unusual mobs and resources.  The player might be able to have less chance of this by having better navigational equipment.  Weather could also affect the chance of wreckage.

I'm not entirely clear what the benefit of the port is.  Or is it a requirement to build the biggest/best ships?  I hate to mandate a certain structure though, as that kind of limits creativity imho.  And I'm not sure it's necessary to make it unfeasible for single players.  A lot of lets-players would lose out if that were true, and I think a lot of people find TFC via single-player lets-plays (I did).

What if the port consisted not necessarily of specific layouts (and I'm not familiar with Gregtech to if I'm describing what they do, oops) but a series of certain single blocks?  So it doesn't check for if you have a 6x6 harbor master hut and a lighthouse of this specific design etc all in a certain arrangement.  It checks if you have a single lighthouse lens block - which is a complicated glass construction (perhaps using the glass blowing trade).  A chest containing 128 pieces of rope, and a chest containing 64 pieces of cloth (each are reduced with each ship built), and a cartographer's table, which might be a series of six tables in a 2x3 arrangement, each containing 8 pieces of paper and one quill+ink (for a total of 48 paper and 6 quill&ink).  Now these items don't have to be in any particular arrangement (aside from the tables being 2x3).  They just all have to exist in, say, a 100x100x50 area.  They basically are intended for a lighthouse, a sail loft, and a captain's cabin.   That way the player can arrange them however they like, in buildings of whatever design they like.  Maybe say that they cannot be within 10 blocks of each other, just to prevent the player from just cramming them all in a tiny hut or something.  The lighthouse lens must have nothing other than glass obstructing it for a 101x101 block plane centered on it, and must have a completely unobstructed path to the chunk border on at least one side.   If desired, one could add a requirement for a drydock, which must be a 30x10 level area at least 5 blocks below sea level, with a 40x10x5 vertical (salt?)water channel on one end (this is where the boat appears).    This might require specialized 'tarred wood' blocks or something, to make the code search easier.  Now historically boats were also built on land and just rolled into the water, so the drydock may be a bit much.  But the basic idea is try to make the port a 'kit of parts', rather than a rigid mega-structure.  If players make a lazy ugly port, that's their problem.  They still had to invest the resources and time in the basic parts.  It'd be nice if there were more benefits though, for such a large undertaking.  Unless the boat it allows you to make is just THAT awesome!

Clarification

First we'll start with the port. In the first idea, the ship isn't awesome. It is the only way you are leaving the island, and the port is the only way to make it. The port would be a large multi-block structure that has some specifics. you can have different types of wood for your docks, and different solid blocks for this or that. The port will give the boat different durability based on the materials you give it. The islands have a mandatory amount of water around them and a level. The level of the island determines how choppy the water is which determines how much damage it does over time to your ship and how much endurance it takes to swim through it. A level 1 boat with a player with 1 endurance will have their boat eaten up by the water super quickly, and then that player will drown because they don't have the endurance to swim through that choppy of water. The further from the first island you go the more choppy the water/island level is and the greater durability your ship will need to survive the crossing. You will need a new port for each island, because if you don't have one your ship will constantly take damage while in the water and eventually break. It can not be repaired/upgraded outside of a port. This means each time you sail to an island for the first time your probably going to lose the ship unless you drop of some resources and immediate head back. Eventually when all the resources for the new dock are there you can park your boat, build the dock and put your boat in the dock.

The second idea is that the ports are essentially teleportation devices that you have to link by sailing from one to the other in a boat one of them spawned. The point of the mini-game is to require some effort on the part of the player, and to stop them from getting bored waiting for however much time it takes to finish the teleport. If you have ever played World of Warcraft they had flight paths that you'd essentially sit for 5 minutes while being transported to another location. A lot of people downloaded a bejeweled mod that they played while waiting. The mini-game however is not necessary and you can have just a timer with a 100% chance of success. 

Back to your multi-block suggestion.

I do see your issue with all ports looking the same. In my original concept All would have the same structure but different material. However I do like your idea of being able to arrange things differently. So what is possible is possible is that you can have key blocks for your multi-block structures. Lets for the sake of argument say there is three. Well call it the lighthouse lens, dock block, and captains block. When you place the light house lens it checks the basics of a light house. There is a solid block within 5 blocks above it, a solid block directly beneath it, and there is no solid blocks north, south, east, or west for 20 blocks in each direction. That's it, then you can make it look like how ever you want as long as that criteria is met. If the criteria is met it lights up, if it isn't it doesn't. The docks block and check that there is a 5x5x3 section of water surrounded by tarred wood blocks at the same height or 1 higher, and then that criteria is met. Then you could place down the captains block which makes sure there is a block within 5 above it, a block within 5 below it and one below it. You can then link the dock block with the lighthouse lens, and captains block by tapping on them with an item. The dock block will then allow you to make boats as long as it's criteria is met, and the lighthouse lens, captains blocks say their criteria is met, the linked blocks are within x/z range, and the lighthouse lens is higher up the Y axis then the dock block. I would have the key blocks perform their checks each time the dock block want to finish making a ship. Then if you want to increase or decrease the cost all you have to do is change the recipes for those three blocks, and if you want to change the cost of the ships you can do that seperately. Then you can largely make the docks look however you want.

Edited by Stroam

So as you head east or west, the islands have progressively choppier water, requiring better and better ports?  Because if the player has to build a port to leave every island, the tier 0 port is going to have to be pretty simple I think.  The player won't have a lot of resources at that island.  And if you don't have to upgrade each island, it probably won't be too hard for the player to just bring the materials for the new port with them, if it never has to improve beyond tier 0 tech.  Well, aside from the weight mechanic.  Moreover, depending on spawn parameters, if players are allowed to spawn on islands in a broad range of climates (which I think would be good) you'd have to make sure that at least early ports don't require resources that may be specific to one climate, such as wool, hemp, or reeds (though in actuality I would like to see these products each attainable in all climates). So a player in the arctic needs to be able to build a dock with things found in that climate.  Your tier 0 raft port may need to be basically just sawn planks and some cobble riprap, both of which require metal tools, which would be attainable in any climate.  Or even no port required at tier 0.  Just hollow out a log canoe, or make one of hide stretched over bones.

Overall it kind of seems like a complicated system to me, just to leave the island.  I feel like it'd be enough to have a few tiers of ports for high level boats that have storage and animal transport options, faster transport time, etc.  That way, if the player moves between islands via simpler methods, the ports can require possible rare materials like rope, cloth, and tar right from the start, because the player has a chance to hop some islands to find all these things.  Players will still want these things, just because they like progression.  I also think it'd probably be better to make the larger ships stationary, just to avoid the code headaches of large ship movement.  Especially if this makes it easier for the player to customize their ship to a degree, for instance by putting barrels of fresh water and food where they want, and maybe carpeting their cabin, etc.  So in that scenario, the player builds a port, constructs a large ship.  They then can sail to adjacent regions.  If the regions does not have a port, the ship is simply placed offshore anchored.  Each of the four sides has an 'anchort spot', and the ship is placed on the one adjacent to the region from which the player arrived.  Perhaps the player can move between the four offshore anchor points, and additionally any ports that are built can be added to the list for the region.  The ship has a rowboat which the player can use to get to shore.  In this way players could explore new regions without ports.  But since they only have four fixed locations per (unported) island, they still would need to get in their rowboat to thoroughly explore.  Ship repair could be accomplished by the player bringing cloth, rope, and tar with them.  These could perhaps physically disappear as the ship accumulates wear from travel.  So the player needs to check every so often and replace the missing pieces.  If too much disappears, the ship wrecks, possibly becoming a permanent fixture on the bottom of the ocean!

I hear ya on the minigame.  That indeed might be a good idea, if fixed teleport times are the order of the day.  Chasing down rats, fishing, maybe even crafting stations on larger ships. 

And ya, I'd agree that the port checks for the parts each time a boat is made/docked/repaired whatever.  The lighthouse could perhaps have tiers, and higher tiers give a travel speed bonus.  It'd be even better if the code could check the destination port for a lighthouse type, and so have two lighthouses factoring into travel.  Though really a lighthouse is more of a benefit for arriving in a port than leaving.  So maybe it only benefits travel time if the destination port has a lighthouse.

So the ports would not be up-gradable. All ports would have similar requirements. Boats would be the things you could repair and upgrade at ports. It is a complex system for leaving an island but it also prevents island hopping so Bob doesn't pass three islands, dig a deep pit and then gets a few animals to fall in it, collects their stuff and now has high tier stuff. Or in the case of metal, sail past three islands, makes an under water entrance to a cave and then makes tunnels to get high level metals and then skips the lower tier metals. There are other ways of preventing this but this is one possible way, though now that I think about it. What stops people from tunneling from one island to the other to bypass this system?

If you make the boats only usable by the person who made them, then something that separates a low level from a high level is the durability and upgrades of their boat. It also means the best boat you can make at each island is restricted to the resources o the island. So if a high level person some how loses their ship on a low level island, they'll only be able to make a low durability boat strong enough to get to the next set of items and will have to add upgrades to the new boat at each island to progress to were they were. 

Upgrades can include hull plating for adding more durability, cargo hold, for carrying more stuff, sails and masts for decreased teleport time. 

If you made the ports up-gradable, I agree that would be complex and potentially more complex than really needed. 

With regards to preventing island-hopping, I think the last plan we'd heard is that a player won't be allowed to mine or place blocks on new islands.  They first have to find a fortress and defeat the 'boss' of that fortress, which then releases a part of the island for the player to mine/build on.  My impression is that each island will be controlled by a humanoid race of some kind, that uses weapons and armor.  The player will be forced to craft weapons and armor of sufficient quality to beat these mobs and take over the island.  So if this is how things pan out, there will be no 'easy' island-hopping, and no under-ocean tunneling at all.  The build/mine prohibition thing isn't exactly the smoothest or most believable mechanic, but it does pretty neatly address the island-hopping issue.

Sounds like a system that the creator the twilight forest did. There too you have a progression. there's a barrier that prevents you from doing anything in that biome until you unlock an achievement, at which point the barrier goes away. 

Well if that's the case then a port, as described above, with an imaginary boat, that has durability, and various upgrades that allows you to teleport to other ports seems like the best idea for fast travel. What I'd do for simplicity is make the teleport instant, if your boat doesn't have enough durability to reach the destination then it teleports you to the spot your boat would have broken down. Upgrades would include increased durability and increased number of nearby barrels teleporting along with you. I wouldn't do live stock unless you want people to be able to bring things from high level islands to lower level islands. I would link the ports by the boat spawn idea previously mentioned. I wouldn't bother with actual boats because the new vanilla boats aren't horrible and good for exploration.

I like the island system with progression. It sounds intriguing either by portal or boat. One thing that does concern me is from the prospective of a server owner. In TFC1 I generate the world 15k blocks from spawn in all directions before anyone even logs on. I do this to kill lag from everyone traveling. I am currently running TechNodeFirmaCraft. I have noticed the the TFC mod itself seems to require more server power to run than most. We currently reboot the server every 3 hours just to keep the Ram in check.

I would like to hear how it is working in 1.10.2. and how will we be able to pregen the world in 1.10.2  

13 hours ago, PathMaker said:

I like the island system with progression. It sounds intriguing either by portal or boat. One thing that does concern me is from the prospective of a server owner. In TFC1 I generate the world 15k blocks from spawn in all directions before anyone even logs on. I do this to kill lag from everyone traveling. I am currently running TechNodeFirmaCraft. I have noticed the the TFC mod itself seems to require more server power to run than most. We currently reboot the server every 3 hours just to keep the Ram in check.

I would like to hear how it is working in 1.10.2. and how will we be able to pregen the world in 1.10.2  

You still can do that. Each island is X big and the water between it is y wide. There is progression out to z island east and west. So your minimum world would be (x+y)*z. After that you can extend it as much as you want and people will only find ocean to the North and south beyond the island. East and west will start generating random islands beyond the progression islands. I'd try to end the edges in the oceans between islands but that's me. I can't give you exact numbers because I don't have them. Also there should be some performance improvements in TFC 2 but how noticeable that'll be will depend on added features and mods.

Last we'd heard the region for each island is planned to be 4096 square.  I don't recall ever hearing it would be customizeable, though that'd be nice obviously.  Also some regions might not have an island at all.  Wish I could find it, but there's a thread that shows a few example generations.  If you check out Bioxx's twitter, back in April 15 of 2015 you'll find one example.  It's worth noting that tf2 chunks are hexes, not squares.  As you can see there (at least at that stage) some islands appear to be fairly close to the region border in places. If that still holds true,  it may happen that sometimes islands have portions that are within 100 blocks of each other, I'm guessing.  We haven't really seen any examples, but I wonder if there might at times be regions that are more of an archipelago than a continent.  We also have pretty good info that the islands will all exist within the same plane of existence (rather than each island being on a separate nether-like plane), so I don't see any reason you could not pre-gen worlds in a pretty normal way (but, I'm no coder).

Edited by Darmo

I for one would rather have better underwater content and better ships to get over the great oceans than have dimensions. There was an old mod called "Small Boats" which added 2 bigger better boats with inventory space that would be great way to travel long distances. 

1 hour ago, Inf0214 said:

I for one would rather have better underwater content and better ships to get over the great oceans than have dimensions. There was an old mod called "Small Boats" which added 2 bigger better boats with inventory space that would be great way to travel long distances. 

Boats would be awesome but they are troublesome. Currently there is a path dimension that connects portals between the islands. It's a void world with a lot of mobs and a narrow path. What I think would be awesome though is if those portals were bigger, say 11x11 and at sea. Then when you sail through the portal you are transported to an ocean dimension. The benefit of that is now you can have an ocean 175 blocks deep without sacrificing land in the overwold. The dimension would have storms, pirates, and ancient sea monsters that spawn making it a very dangerous place. In addition it amplifies distances unlike the nether. This means you could be sailing for some time. I hope you brought fresh water and food because you wouldn't be able catch fish or drink the water in the ocean dimension. There is also no reward for killing an ancient sea creature other than your life. As for swimming, every three second you are in water you get a sinking debuff that continues to stack till you drown. 

The most difficult part of that idea is the boats though as the client and server in minecraft constantly argue over where your position is when sailing. So first that would have to be solved and then you'd need a bunch of boats or ways of upgrading your boat for speed, cargo, etc.