Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
WraithBCPMC

Anvil Newb

12 posts in this topic

I recently started playing Terrafirmacraft, and I just got my first copper anvil.  I've been trying to work some of my ingots into tools (scythe, pick, axe, etc.) and I have been trying for hours and I cant figure out how to follow the steps while lining up the arrows.  If anybody has and smithing starter tips I would be very grateful.

P.S I know I could just use a pit kiln and make ceramic molds but I want to start learning now so I can be good at it when I hit Iron Age.

As a starter tip, find a tool that requires the fewest unique combination of steps. For instance, only two hits to line up the arrows. I find that helps build up my confidence and understanding of smithing. Even if you don't care about that particular tool right away, it's a good starting point.

Also, did you notice that the green and red buttons at the bottom move your arrow back and forth different amounts? Without worrying about the outcome, practice pushing each one to see how far they move your arrow each time.

Remember, if your buttons don't work, your ingot's too cool, or you need a new hammer! (That's why I usually put a metal hammer in so it lasts a long time.)

Have you read the wiki on anvil mechanics? It's really quite helpful. Read through it and watch the video: http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Anvil

Edited by DanDerth

Always have molds in the forge to catch the ingot in case you get distracted and it goes to liquid state, or better yet leave it in the mold. This way you can heat up to the maximum inside the weldable temperature.

The more you do it the easier it gets. After a while you will learn how much each button moves the arrow.

It's a nice video, but I guess one of the problems a new player has is because they are working on copper and it cools down a lot faster.

Make sure you are selecting the pattern for the tool you want EVERY TIME you place the ingot back into the anvil. Even if you already selected it before and it comes back up preselected when you put the ingot in, SELECT IT AGAIN. There is an issue with TFC where if you don't SELECT THE PATTERN EVERY TIME, you won't get anything even if you line up the arrows properly. Maybe this is what's happening. The issue may have been fixed, but I don't think so, and I wouldn't know, because I'm so dang trained to always select the pattern.

But as TonyLiberatto said, copper is tough to work with. I usually don't bother with smithing anything on the copper anvil except welding the double ingots for a bronze anvil. I make copper tools by pouring the smelted copper directly into tool molds.

Edited by micmastodon

Let's call the combination of actions required to finish the tool the "finishing sequence".

The tool forging approach I used is as follows

Part 1

How to figure out the smithing of a given tool:

1. Align the arrow with the target, without worrying about finishing sequence.

2. Note exact position of the arrow relative to the target.

3. Let's define the position exactly on the other side of the target "X", at the same distance.

Example: -----X---V---^---------- where "X" is the X position you are trying to figure, V is the target (and where you started out at step 1.) and ^ is the current position of the marker. Note that X is the same distance from V as ^ is, and on opposite side.

Part 2

Now it should be semi-obvious what to do:

1. Put the current arrow at X, without worrying at all about finishing sequence.

2. Do the finishing sequence.

Since the arrow was exactly as much to the left(right) as the finishing sequence moves it to the right(left), when you do the finishing sequence, it will land exactly on target, and the tool will be made.

Part 3

Optimize aligning marker to X

Figure out a good/best way to put the marker at X from initial position (the distance between them, which actually matters, depends both on the tool and on the material you use, but same tool from same material in same game/server = same sequence will work)

I am about to give up on this mod entirely because I just can't use the anvil. I can align the arrows perfectly, I reverse the last three steps then do them forward, and it never works. I literally burned through 2 stacks of coal and two copper hammers trying to make a single pickaxe head. I'm ridiculously frustrated. The funny thing is that when I played TFC in the past I had no issues with the anvil at all.

Copper cools down fast, most people do not bother to anvil copper and only use the copper anvil to create the bronze anvil. Another issue, could be that the arrows are not actually perfectly aligned when you reverse them.

I am about to give up on this mod entirely because I just can't use the anvil. I can align the arrows perfectly, I reverse the last three steps then do them forward, and it never works. I literally burned through 2 stacks of coal and two copper hammers trying to make a single pickaxe head. I'm ridiculously frustrated. The funny thing is that when I played TFC in the past I had no issues with the anvil at all.

Could you perhaps provide a screenshot of what the screen looks like when you think it's supposed to work, but it isn't? It'll be a lot easier to see if there's an actual bug or if you are making some other mistake if we can see what you think should give you the completed tool head.

.... I can align the arrows perfectly, I reverse the last three steps then do them forward, and it never works. ...

Remember there is no "reverse" actions. Light Hit and Punch do not move the arrow the same distance - they move it by different distances. Same with all other pairs that you might assume are "mirrored" while they are not. You have to figure out the distance finishing sequence moves it and somehow (there is no set recipe for this) set the arrow the same distance to the other side of target.

So my magical solution to my anvil problems was to start a new seed. Now I am having zero issues. Except now I can't find graphite, but whatevs. At least I can make armor now. :)