Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Damjancd

Donating a minimum of xxx gives you exclusive access to early TFC2 option?

9 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

Please do realize that this is not meant to insult any of the devs nor the players, but kickstarter like early access has worked quite well from what I can observe AND from my experience with my video game. This is a tried and tested structure to bring more attention to a project and satisfy extremely passionate followers that are ready to put up with a clunky early build. 

Could this be done for TFC2? 

You do know you can get TFC2 for free by looking for the repo on github, right?

You could've not told me and I could've donated :)

But seriously, if the entire process is a bit more packaged and prepared, people might be ready to donate more. 
I might be saying this from a purely subjective viewpoint and a viewpoint from pitching other games, not mods. So there's a large possibility that I'm an idiot :)

Lol. Hey I'm sure Bioxx would love for you to buy him a beer. I figured I would let you know anyways. Heheh. I myself have downloaded the repo to tale a gander. Looks pretty cool IMO, though it should be noted that anything you find there might be temporary. It is a WIP after all. :P

I don't know if money would even help, or be legal in this situation, but I think that if there were going to be kickstartering, the better way would be for features.  Like Kickstarter here for TFC2 magic system, and if X amounts are donated then certain features are added.  The idea being the money allows the devs to devote more time.  But that assumes they have any more free time than they already use - obviously there'd have to be a basically functional world first, on par with TFC1.  But it wouldn't surprise me if they'd get a lot more donations for specific features, vs just the generic donation buttons at the top of the forum.  It would create a certain amount of pressure though, and it wouldn't surprise me if they want to avoid that.

It could also be much simpler goals - kickstarter here for more clay building material X amount for mud bricks,  X+Y for red clay bricks, X+Y+Z for clay roof tile, etc.  There's thousands of game-worthy ideas.  But which ones do people REALLY want?   The community could effectively vote with their pocket books as to the kinds of additions they want for the game. 

I plan on donating a small amount, once my pocket money balance is out of the red :P

The biggest issue with this is like Mathias said, TFC2 is open source. If you want a copy of the mod it's actually really straightforward to download and compile if you have any familiarity at all with running scripts or a compiler.

That being said, at this point in development I personally (I can't speak for Bioxx) don't want just random people with access to game because it is in such early alpha. An analogy that I've made before is that getting feedback in this kind of situation is kind of like criticizing a chef's pizza when all he's done so far is write the shopping list for ingredients. Feedback from other developers who can actually read and understand the code is fine, because it's generally tips for small tweaks that will make a life of a difference down the road (like pointing out that the chef forgot to put flour for the crust on his list).

There's also the problem with entitlement. Generally speaking, the Minecraft modding player community is ridiculously entitled compared to other games. Even though mods are distributed for free and are often nothing more than a hobby of the developers, the players can get really nasty if it isn't exactly how they want it. And god forbid a developer ever abandon a mod without making it open source unless they want to be attacked with pitchforks and torches. As soon as you introduce money into that situation, the entitlement only gets worse because now they've paid for it and will expect to get "their money's worth."

Edit: I'd also like to point out that any time goods are exchanged for currency, that is no longer a donation. It's a transaction no matter what way you look at it.

Edited by Kittychanley

In addition to all the great points Kitty made, doing this might raise some eyebrows in the Mojang legal department. Minecraft is still their game, after all, and providing access to a mod in exchange for money, is ... enough to get their attention. I don't think anybody making a mod wants that kind of attention.