Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
d00dV4d3r

More detailed stone age mod?

5 posts in this topic

Are there any mods that add more detail to the stone age portion of the game?  Specifically, things like additional firepit fuels, requirements for cordage and glue in tool making, the ability to make lumber using an axe, glue from bones or sap, cordage from rawhide or straw, panning copper from slag (the current method of refining and using copper leaves much to be desired), etc...  I feel like the stone age is quite quickly left behind in the mad, and easy, rush to find and use copper and would prefer a more concrete reason to stay put early on rather than travel around like a mad-person.

I have no problems modifying the game to get  what I want, just want to make sure I'm not duplicating work because I'm lazy.

We created a server with a whole bunch of modifications and also using progression mod to make the time it takes to go from stone age to iron age a lot slower.

I will be prepping a modpack with all the changes and post it here in the forum. For now you can try playing in our server Stoneagecraft. It is a challenge server.

If you are able to code we would love to have you on board. 

progression

Not entirely into that. I prefer a more robust sandbox experience that promotes a different take on the game rather than an enforced guidance through the world. What I'm looking for is not progression, but more "believable" gameplay, if you will (and yes, my definition differs from the dev's).  I'd love to see your changes but the whole idea of artificial progression just really irks me. 

Well that was just the best we could do . I am no coder so I had to use things like minetweaker and progression.

I had many ideas for extending stoneage. you can read some of them Here.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6419-make-stone-age-longer/?p=88578

There is a lot that can be improved on those ideas, but I believe is a start. As you can see I am very passionate about this subject. Either if you can help me or if I can help you make some of this a reality I would be really happy.

Well that was just the best we could do . I am no coder so I had to use things like minetweaker and progression.

On sure, not putting you down or anything, I just think our overall goals differ.

I had many ideas for extending stoneage. you can read some of them Here.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6419-make-stone-age-longer/?p=88578

There is a lot that can be improved on those ideas, but I believe is a start. As you can see I am very passionate about this subject. Either if you can help me or if I can help you make some of this a reality I would be really happy.

I read through a good chunk of that thread and there are, indeed, some good ideas. Where I differ in opinion is that hard progression and walling of features is not really something I care for. Rather than being forced into the stone age for a time, I'd rather see more details and options available to stone age players so that the focus isn't on immediately getting copper. Furthermore, getting copper from malachite and tetrahedrite should be a pretty interesting and lengthy process requiring tools like bellows and a tuyere (look it up!), but nothing should stop a lucky player from taking advantage of native copper in their area to bootstrap ahead, much like real life.

Right now what I'm working on is making stone age tools more interesting than "plop a stone tool head on a stick" by including sap collection and glue production along with a requirement for cordage (straw). I added a flint hand knife to facilitate that. More advanced tools will require different recipes. Then there's axe-produced lumber, proper stone-age copper smelting (probably borrow code from the iron chain), barrel recipes requiring iron banding, and other refinements.

I really like TFC as-is but I feel like the stone-age deserves the same amount of detail as the iron age, and I also feel like walling off certain things artificially really limits the sandbox potential of the mod.