Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
StrayWolfe

Cooking with TFC (WIP)

313 posts in this topic

There are only two items currently affected by fancy graphics, sandwiches and placed meats. The meats are just a flat depiction of the the 3d one and sandwiches are as I recently described. I actually sort of prefer the fast graphics version of the sandwich.

tYYGTBD.png

Edited by StrayWolfe

I like the particles produced by the cooking pot and the logs under the cooking pot. It is amazing. I found a little bug. The sea salt and the rock salt have a glitched texture when I drop them on the ground and they don't render in my hand.

Edited by Leo05

6 hours ago, Leo05 said:

I like the particles produced by the cooking pot and the logs under the cooking pot. It is amazing. I found a little bug. The sea salt and the rock salt have a glitched texture when I drop them on the ground and they don't render in my hand.

Thanks. I am glad you are enjoying the mod. Also thanks for the bug report. This is why I like early releases, I don't always notice a bug in development and other people might see things that I never noticed or even thought about. I've found what was causing it and the fix will be in the next update. Once again, thanks for the report and as always feel free to report any other issues you come across.

Edited by StrayWolfe

Addon is on the Server. 

So far works good.

I do have some questions.

I have been complaining about the whole perfect food in TFC for a long time. So I like the you tired of this food and cant eat anymore.

Question is. How are people dealing with inventory?

Usually when I go exploring I take with me the ingredients to make sandwiches and I make a sandwich table. leave the ingredients in the table and just make sandwiches as needed. Is enough for me to mine a whole vein.

So what are the inventory solutions available using "Cooking with TFC"?

59 minutes ago, TonyLiberatto said:

Addon is on the Server. 

So far works good.

I do have some questions.

I have been complaining about the whole perfect food in TFC for a long time. So I like the you tired of this food and cant eat anymore.

Question is. How are people dealing with inventory?

Usually when I go exploring I take with me the ingredients to make sandwiches and I make a sandwich table. leave the ingredients in the table and just make sandwiches as needed. Is enough for me to mine a whole vein.

So what are the inventory solutions available using "Cooking with TFC"?

I really haven't given much thought to inventory solutions. I guess I could always make a sack that can carry raw ingredients. I guess it could have a decay rate at the same rate as a chest and only take up 1 inventory slot but have double the inventory of a small vessel. Also, I would not suggest leaving things on the table as the decay rate is 25% faster on the table than in any inventory. I mean, you are leaving food completely out in the open and exposed to the elements, it should decay faster.

On 7/21/2016 at 11:53 AM, StrayWolfe said:

Keep up the great work and as always feel free to continue reporting any bugs or suggestions you might have.

Sure will do!

I just updated and loaded up an existing save file and got a warning about PrepTable, PrepTable2 and SeaSalt missing. Should I ignore this warning? I do have some food in a prep table in the world.

3 hours ago, Leo05 said:

Does this mod work with Cellars Addon?

Currently everything except meals and a couple of of items can be put in the shelves. In the next update, everything can be placed in bins.

2 hours ago, gskw said:

Sure will do!

I just updated and loaded up an existing save file and got a warning about PrepTable, PrepTable2 and SeaSalt missing. Should I ignore this warning? I do have some food in a prep table in the world.

If you have food in a prep table, I would suggest removing the food from the table before updating since it will get destroyed from the update. You should be fine to update after that and if you don't want to remove the food then all you will have to worry about is losing that food.

Edited by StrayWolfe

Just asking before I get this add-on. 

So I am correct in saying that this add-on has it's own version of all TFC foods? So is all the food converted upon world generation or what?

2 hours ago, CALEBXD101 said:

Just asking before I get this add-on. 

So I am correct in saying that this add-on has it's own version of all TFC foods? So is all the food converted upon world generation or what?

You are correct, it completely replaces all of the TFC food with copies of its own. The food is converted when it is picked up off of the ground. You can still eat TFC food but it will not have diminishing returns like this mod's foods. You will not be able to obtain new TFC food if the food conversion config is enabled, which is on by default. You will also not be able to make meals without converting the food over to the new system.

Edited by StrayWolfe

One of the things that most attracted on this mod is how it makes food more realistic. Now this mod changes not only the way we prep food but also how much of a certain food we can eat before getting tired of it.

I really like this feature as I have said many times IRL there is no way you can eat over and over again even your most favorite dish. If you try it would and up making you sick.

that said, I have come across some logistic issues. 

When playing TFC the 2 things that I do more often are mining and Building.

As I go down a mine shaft I have 4 sandwiches in my inventory, I do not want to come back up until my inventory is full with rocks and ore. I will then empty my inventory in a chest and make more food to go down again.

Breaking blocks uses up the food in your bar faster than just standing around ( at least that's the impression I have ).

In my mind the closer we get to the same balance we have in real life the better. Guarded the proportions, after all this is a game.

It has always bother me the way TFC handle food decay. 

I never liked to have to cut decay from food.

yes IRL is possible to cut decay from a fruit or vegetable.

What bothers me is to have decay showing as a percentage and everyday ticking. I would like for food to have a expiration date. after that it would start to show decay.

I do not mind working hard for anything I get in the game. What it bothers me is the grind of having to cut decay from food every day.

When the first humans developed food preservation it was in a way that did not required constant attention and care.

Once you make cheese and store it in a dry place it will last for years.

The same applies for dry meat and sausages.

dry fruit and vegetables in a lesser scale.

For most of those foods once you see any sign of rotten it is time to throw the whole thing away.

In essence I do not mind having to work a few days straight for food preservation. But once I am done I want to forget  about that and go do something else.

Humans have stored grains in silos for the past 5 thousand years without any special preservation.

I am not advocating for no work. Okay so I have to plant and harvest and should have to process the grains ( including corn please ) then all it needs is a dark and dry place and it will last for years.

Now for cooked and prep food what is the solution?

No way a sandwich will last for days, the same apply for salads, soups or stews.

Even today in primitive societies around the world, when people need to travel or go hunting, they have special food for traveling that will last for many days.

In Medieval Europe people would always carry Cheese, bread, sausage, crackers and wine. 

Many African tribes had a kind of cake made with dry meat, dry fruit, fat and flour. This would last for many months.

Of course this kind of food is not the healthiest, but it will sustain you. And allow you to work hard and travel.

Once you back home is the time to eat fresh fruits and vegetables to increase you health again.

Of course a balance needs to be found to prevent players to eating only that kind of food in detriment of others.

My initial proposal was that eating the same food over and over  would get you to a maximum of 1000 points of health and the only way to go over would be to add variety. So if you are hungry is not impossible to eat the same thing you ate the last day, is just that your health will be capped at 1000 until you start to add different food for each food group.

First thing is to have all 5 food groups, until you have that you will have no Bonus. It may not make much sense IRL, but for game mechanic it works better.

So each food group has a range from 200 points to a maximum of 600 points. 200 points for each different food in the same group. Again the extra points only apply if you are eating from the 5 groups, Otherwise people could eat 3 vegetables and 3 meats and get to 1200 points , this would be wrong, because the lack of the other food groups has a consequence in your health. 

This post got a lot bigger than I have intended. Sorry, I feel like I was just venting. But those issues strike a cord in me.

Maybe many features are outside of the scope of this addon, or just not what the author intended.

Please use what you like and dis-consider the rest.

...to add to that, shouldn't potatoes be one of the things you can eat consistently for some kind of sustinence? While The Martian was at least partly fictional, the part where he lives off of potatoes is quite true - they're pretty much the only thing that provides just about everything you need. No doubt he got tired of it, but he ate them because it was all he had left. The author probably did quite a bit of research to figure out that potatoes alone can sustain you. You won't be the healthiest person on Mars, but you will at least be alive at the end of the year when your people come back to rescue you.

Just a thought.

[EDIT] Did a little fact-checking and, while it would technically be possible to survive on potatoes, by the end of the year Watney was definitely ill and suffering from some major key deficiencies. A lot of scientists say it would have helped to have some "pulses" on-board in case of emergencies - beans like pintos or peas - which would help provide what potatoes lack, and push nitrogen back into the soil, making it healthier for more crops. Pulses are also useful because pretty much the entire plant is edible, from hull to bean to leaves and maybe even stalk, which would add a bit more variety and yet more nutrients.

Edited by Monarch_of_Gold

The new animals do not work with Tucker bags, from the Udary Mod.

With the way ropes are in Minecraft and the long distances in Terrafirmacraft it is not uncommon for a player to have to travel 6000 blocks to get chickens back to the base. 

10 hours ago, TonyLiberatto said:

The new animals do not work with Tucker bags, from the Udary Mod.

With the way ropes are in Minecraft and the long distances in Terrafirmacraft it is not uncommon for a player to have to travel 6000 blocks to get chickens back to the base. 

I'm not sure why the Tucker Bag does not work since all of the animals in this mod carry all of the same indicators as their TFC copy to allow for compatibility. The Animal Crate works great though. I will try to contact Bletch to see if there is any way there can be compatibility, although I think it will have to be a change with Udary since I have done everything I can to add compatibility.

15 hours ago, TonyLiberatto said:

One of the things that most attracted on this mod is how it makes food more realistic. Now this mod changes not only the way we prep food but also how much of a certain food we can eat before getting tired of it.

I really like this feature as I have said many times IRL there is no way you can eat over and over again even your most favorite dish. If you try it would and up making you sick.

that said, I have come across some logistic issues. 

When playing TFC the 2 things that I do more often are mining and Building.

As I go down a mine shaft I have 4 sandwiches in my inventory, I do not want to come back up until my inventory is full with rocks and ore. I will then empty my inventory in a chest and make more food to go down again.

Breaking blocks uses up the food in your bar faster than just standing around ( at least that's the impression I have ).

In my mind the closer we get to the same balance we have in real life the better. Guarded the proportions, after all this is a game.

It has always bother me the way TFC handle food decay. 

I never liked to have to cut decay from food.

yes IRL is possible to cut decay from a fruit or vegetable.

What bothers me is to have decay showing as a percentage and everyday ticking. I would like for food to have a expiration date. after that it would start to show decay.

I do not mind working hard for anything I get in the game. What it bothers me is the grind of having to cut decay from food every day.

When the first humans developed food preservation it was in a way that did not required constant attention and care.

Once you make cheese and store it in a dry place it will last for years.

The same applies for dry meat and sausages.

dry fruit and vegetables in a lesser scale.

For most of those foods once you see any sign of rotten it is time to throw the whole thing away.

In essence I do not mind having to work a few days straight for food preservation. But once I am done I want to forget  about that and go do something else.

Humans have stored grains in silos for the past 5 thousand years without any special preservation.

I am not advocating for no work. Okay so I have to plant and harvest and should have to process the grains ( including corn please ) then all it needs is a dark and dry place and it will last for years.

Now for cooked and prep food what is the solution?

No way a sandwich will last for days, the same apply for salads, soups or stews.

Even today in primitive societies around the world, when people need to travel or go hunting, they have special food for traveling that will last for many days.

In Medieval Europe people would always carry Cheese, bread, sausage, crackers and wine. 

Many African tribes had a kind of cake made with dry meat, dry fruit, fat and flour. This would last for many months.

Of course this kind of food is not the healthiest, but it will sustain you. And allow you to work hard and travel.

Once you back home is the time to eat fresh fruits and vegetables to increase you health again.

Of course a balance needs to be found to prevent players to eating only that kind of food in detriment of others.

My initial proposal was that eating the same food over and over  would get you to a maximum of 1000 points of health and the only way to go over would be to add variety. So if you are hungry is not impossible to eat the same thing you ate the last day, is just that your health will be capped at 1000 until you start to add different food for each food group.

First thing is to have all 5 food groups, until you have that you will have no Bonus. It may not make much sense IRL, but for game mechanic it works better.

So each food group has a range from 200 points to a maximum of 600 points. 200 points for each different food in the same group. Again the extra points only apply if you are eating from the 5 groups, Otherwise people could eat 3 vegetables and 3 meats and get to 1200 points , this would be wrong, because the lack of the other food groups has a consequence in your health. 

This post got a lot bigger than I have intended. Sorry, I feel like I was just venting. But those issues strike a cord in me.

Maybe many features are outside of the scope of this addon, or just not what the author intended.

Please use what you like and dis-consider the rest.

For the decay and health, I'll think about it but I probably will not change the decay or health systems. As for meals with low decay rates, that is definitely something I can add.

14 hours ago, Monarch_of_Gold said:

...to add to that, shouldn't potatoes be one of the things you can eat consistently for some kind of sustinence? While The Martian was at least partly fictional, the part where he lives off of potatoes is quite true - they're pretty much the only thing that provides just about everything you need. No doubt he got tired of it, but he ate them because it was all he had left. The author probably did quite a bit of research to figure out that potatoes alone can sustain you. You won't be the healthiest person on Mars, but you will at least be alive at the end of the year when your people come back to rescue you.

Just a thought.

[EDIT] Did a little fact-checking and, while it would technically be possible to survive on potatoes, by the end of the year Watney was definitely ill and suffering from some major key deficiencies. A lot of scientists say it would have helped to have some "pulses" on-board in case of emergencies - beans like pintos or peas - which would help provide what potatoes lack, and push nitrogen back into the soil, making it healthier for more crops. Pulses are also useful because pretty much the entire plant is edible, from hull to bean to leaves and maybe even stalk, which would add a bit more variety and yet more nutrients.

I know you can survive on a few food items without getting deficiencies, but I am not really interested in replicating real life. Like vanilla, TFC seemed a little lacking in the food department so I began creating this mod. I enjoyed the the challenge of needing different foods that Pam's Harvestcraft and the Spice of Life mods brought to vanilla and I wanted to bring that to TFC. 

5 hours ago, StrayWolfe said:

I'm not sure why the Tucker Bag does not work since all of the animals in this mod carry all of the same indicators as their TFC copy to allow for compatibility. The Animal Crate works great though. I will try to contact Bletch to see if there is any way there can be compatibility, although I think it will have to be a change with Udary since I have done everything I can to add compatibility.

Speaking about Udary. I really like the evaporator pan. I know that I can make sea salt with the cooking pot but I like the evaporation pan too. But  the evaporator pan produces regular TFC salt and not sea salt. It would be nice if it would produce sea salt.

I'll see if I can add Udary in the next patch. I've done a few tweaks since the last update and I am considering making a patch before a new complete update.

Would it be possible to add a wood bowl? It is really annoying to have to make so many clay bowls. No one is that clumsy.

On regular TFC I never ever make salads, now with this addon I am forced to use bowls, so I think we should have an alternative, just so we do not have to keep making clay bowls.

Edited by TonyLiberatto

11 hours ago, StrayWolfe said:

I know you can survive on a few food items without getting deficiencies, but I am not really interested in replicating real life. Like vanilla, TFC seemed a little lacking in the food department so I began creating this mod. I enjoyed the the challenge of needing different foods that Pam's Harvestcraft and the Spice of Life mods brought to vanilla and I wanted to bring that to TFC. 

Alright. It's your add-on. I was mostly mentioning that for the sake of discussion, and also because I thought it was an interesting point to bring up.

And yesss!! The bowl thing is so annoying! Why did they have to change it to only two bowls?

3 hours ago, TonyLiberatto said:

Would it be possible to add a wood bowl? It is really annoying to have to make so many clay bowls. No one is that clumsy.

On regular TFC I never ever make salads, now with this addon I am forced to use bowls, so I think we should have an alternative, just so we do not have to keep making clay bowls.

Or I could simply turn down the rate at which bowls break and provide a config to set the frequency. Currently the default TFC bowl break rate is 1/2, whereas the jug breaks 1/50. I think it would be logical to set the bowl break rate to be at least as common as the jug.

In reality a clay bowl doesn't break that easy.

6 hours ago, StrayWolfe said:

Or I could simply turn down the rate at which bowls break and provide a config to set the frequency. Currently the default TFC bowl break rate is 1/2, whereas the jug breaks 1/50. I think it would be logical to set the bowl break rate to be at least as common as the jug.

That would for sure help. And I appreciate.

I would still prefer a permanent solution, something like the Leather water sac. As soon as I have leather I replace the water jug and never again have to worry about them breaking.

My point is that having to work for something is OK, what bothers me is the constant grind. having to make new clay bowls every few days is still a grind. Gotta remember that clay is a non renewable resource and in a server we soon run out of it on the immediate proximity of a town. 

IRL people used wood and bone plates more often than clay, and no one would go traveling with clay utensils.

Hmm wait but lets say you just want this add-on's version of TFC food how would you go about doing that.

Also I am not sureif this is still in TFC but why can't you die from hunger?

5 hours ago, TonyLiberatto said:

That would for sure help. And I appreciate.

I would still prefer a permanent solution, something like the Leather water sac. As soon as I have leather I replace the water jug and never again have to worry about them breaking.

My point is that having to work for something is OK, what bothers me is the constant grind. having to make new clay bowls every few days is still a grind. Gotta remember that clay is a non renewable resource and in a server we soon run out of it on the immediate proximity of a town. 

IRL people used wood and bone plates more often than clay, and no one would go traveling with clay utensils.

While it might be something IRL, it does not mean it will work well in gameplay. How would you work up to wood from clay? I guess a solution could be a metal bowl to work up to from clay. Anyway,  this mod is intended to increase the grind and not decrease.