Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

8 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

I have a really complex idea for forests/biomes for the new edition of TFCraft. In actual forests, the amount of shrubbery and foliage on the ground often depends on the concentration of the trees and the temperature and rainfall of the area. Could there be new plants and bushes to fit in with forests following the same rules? I don't really know that much about Java, but is there a way to make certain plants or bushes grow in only certain light levels? There could be grass color changes in winter/fall, and have dead leaf textures that appear on the ground (similar to the minecart rails) that could be harvested and crafted with sticks or something to make some sort of block or slab to be used in early shelters. And there can be shorter grass or tiny plants that grow in denser forests, and for really dense forests, have the dead leaves all along the forest floor with tiny plants, and have small bushes and such. And there could be different types of grass/ferns to grow in different environments, with varying heights and sizes, that could maybe drop different types of thatch with certain characteristics. And for some trees, probably all but the taller ones, you could have trunks and branches the size the fruit trees and make the fruit tree trunks even smaller, and then when winter rolls around, the leaves could "fall off" and litter the floor, until spring when little leaf buds can fill the trees. I don't know how all the extra items would run on lower end computers, though. In advance, thanks for reading.

Edited by Sgt_Rubber_Ducky

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): yes

Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

Ok, so I was thinking about TFC2 and had the idea that this version would be a great opportunity to add detail to the terrain. I was thinking about having small decorations all over the ground. Now you may be thinking "oh well there's already tall grass, and ferns and flowers, etc." but when you look outside IRL you see a multitude of different plants, especially in forests. There's also epiphytes and vines that grow on trees, moss & Ivy and such. I think it would add a lot to the nature part of TFC to have small things like this, lots of different plants that could grow in certain environments. for example, forest floors usually don't have grass, it's almost always dirt with lots of understory (things like bushes or shrubs, smaller trees/ saplings, moss, ferns, etc.) and in plains/ meadows the grass isn't mostly short (usually). What i'm thinking exactly is something along the lines of simply adding a few more plants, or even a generic plant blocks with many different possible textures, which would be based on the environment around it (tree density/ type, biome, rainfall, whether its next to water, altitude, temperature, etc.). I know this wouldn't add much to the gameplay aspect of the game (unless some of the plants had uses, like maybe some herbs), but it would make the environment feel much more alive and believable/make more sense. Its just and idea and I won't be offended if people aren't fans of it

Edited by Kittychanley
Duplicate Suggestion

I hadn't thought about epiphytes. That would be really cool, especially in jungle areas.

Altering the size of tree trunks is actually a real pain which is why we do not do it. Anything smaller than 1m means that the rendering for branches gets very complicated. That said, I've always intended to add moss and things of that nature in TFC1. So I'll add this to my short list of things I can do when I'm struggling on something bigger. :)

I'd like to join in here with some ideas and examples from other mods.

Some of the most awesome and believable environments I've seen in Minecraft are from Realistic World Generation + Biomes O' Plenty mods.

TFC2 certainly doesn't need anything so extreme, but there are some concepts it uses that could possibly improve environmental aesthetics.

One of my favorite things is the bushes:

1_thumb.png

They are essentially just short trees (only one log). These really help to emphasize dryer areas that don't get enough rainfall for tall trees. I'm not familiar with how tree schematics work, but perhaps this could be accomplished by using the rainfall value to determine tree height?

Also for dry areas, it doesn't necessarily have to be dry grass or desert. Another concept can be achieved by adding cactus and having trees with less leaves:

3_thumb.png

Bushes can be added as undergrowth in forests to create lush areas (similar to vanilla jungle but less frequent):

4_thumb.png

These could really help add to the believability, in having to slowly push your way through the brush or hack a path.

Also in those screenshots you'll notice the smooth flowing hills. I really love those, but I understand that may not be possible with the current implementation of terrain generation. Worth a mention though.

Snow-capped mountains are quite a sight too:

2_thumb.png

Here's a good example of vines and moss in a swampy area:

5_thumb.png

Anyways, just wanted to share some of these in case it helps inspire some creativity.

Since the OP is about Better Forest Biomes, there it goes.

What about having more descriptive biomes? 

Instead of just plains, we could have frozen plains, temperate plains, tropical plains and Hot plains.

Every single mod out there that generates animals, creatures monsters, plants, flowers and trees uses a biome system, so this would be a great advance in compatibility.

As I have said many times, I am no coder, so no idea how much more work is involved in that.

From the point of view of someone making a modpack it would be extremely helpful.

Also in those screenshots you'll notice the smooth flowing hills.

I'm kind of with Kitty on a lot of these huge rolling mountains.  Looks pretty ,but seems like death to my keyboard's spacebar.  But, I guess that might motivate me to build the cog rail to my mountaintop home.  From the screenshots Bioxx has posted though - which were pretty preliminary - I have no doubt we're going to have some incredible terrain in TFC.  Especially since we'll have 100 more elevation for the mountains, now that sea level is back down around 50ish.

I think it is good to actually have such big mountains. And if you don't want to be always pressing space just avoid the mountain! In real life no one thinks about crossing the highest mountain in the Alpes to get from France to Italy. It will also motivate the creation of tunnels, which will look really cool