Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Terex

Efficient tree farms

45 posts in this topic

This happened to me last night. 1 Sapling ticked down to 1 day, then nothing. The one next to it grew, this first one now says 7 days. This is a tiny tree farm at the top of a mountain. Both trees were at the says Y level 3 blocks from each other. The 3rd in the line has also clicked back to 7 days.

There are 6 trees in the farm are White Cedar trees, the middle ones of both rows have grown, the first rows other 2 have both "reset" and the final 2 are on 0 days. I am expecting these 2 to reset also.

I see your code, I believe what you say, but I also believe what I see.

Please see my above statement about the tree generation code.

White cedar trees are a peculiar case because they are slim trees and only have 1 block radius of leaves. Therefore, there should be 100% room for trees in a grid where saplings are spaced 2 blocks apart like so:

x o o x o o x

o o o o o o o

o o o o o o o

x o o x o o x

Yet, some saplings wont grow like this. I'm still waiting on other grid configurations. 

EDIT: I should mention that I'm not necessarily expecting any changes made to the code that will enable me to gather all the wood by chopping only one tree. This cheat was nerfed for that obvious reason, i suspect. As in the OP, I'm merely curious how other players set up their farms to gather renewable wood for charcoal.

Edited by Terex

The scan area for saplings growing into trees is not the same area as where all the blocks of the tree will actually be. There's usually a one block buffer around the outside.

So for White Cedar trees, the only way to have 100% guarantee that they all have enough space to grow is to have 4 blocks between the trunks. You might be able to get away with 3 blocks and have the "buffer zone" overlap, but there's no guarantee.

No buffer overlap:

x o b b o x o b b o xo o b b o o o b b o ob b b b b b b b b b bb b b b b b b b b b bo o b b o o o b b o ox o b b o x o b b o x

Buffer overlap:

x o b o x o b o xo o b o o o b o ob b b b b b b b bo o b o o o b o ox o b o x o b o x
Edited by Kittychanley

Is this why the trees are resetting? All but the original tree in my farm grew last night, but only after clearing space. I'm sure this is a change to how I used to grow them though. I was sure I used to grow White Cedar really close together? Maybe I didn't? I will experiment more today.

You used to be able to grow complete walls of trees back in 78. The 79.0 update included a change where each sapling first looks to make sure it has enough space before it will be able to grow.

Leaves count as blocks trees won't/can't replace, then?

I see, there is a 1 block buffer zone around the tree leaf blocks that may or may not be occupied by another tree. Then all my observations are explained.

In conclusion then, a white cedar tree farm may be one of the most compact and easy to farm, but does not yield the most wood. I haven't found Douglas fir in my world yet but i suspect this is still the best candidate tree for a productive farm. I also tested a willow tree farm with 9 spaces between the saplings, therefore needs much space. They all grow but each tree must be chopped individually and does not give much wood at all in some cases. This tree is not a good candidate. My pine tree farm in a staggered grid pattern in the OP is not too bad and some trees do connect for a single chop. However, chances are no surplus of saplings can be obtained since some pine trees generate nearly bald with a little crown of leaves on top. Lastly, i also placed many other kind of trees in a 5 grid pattern for guaranteed growth but these trees all look like the vanilla oak tree and are not especially interesting. For tons of easy wood, best option is to simply destroy an acacia jungle. They are huge anyway so basically infinite wood.

Doug Fir is the best for tree farming, but I find willow to be a perfectly acceptable.  Sure, it takes more area, but I've never found that to be a problem.  they produce plenty of wood, and most importantly, plenty of saplings.  The wall of trees chopping was obviously an exploit, and was rightly fixed.  I'm guessing the only reason multi-chops still happen is due to limitations of the code.  Willow has the advantage of not requiring walkways or ladders to harvest the leaves, and you can be very casual about it, it's not necessary to harvest every single leaf block, because you'll get plenty of saplings.  The main disadvantage being that they're ugly, and can hide mobs.  I find willow to be the easiest to farm, and the fastest to expand the farm with.   I've not tried every species, but everything besides doug fir and willow seem to me to give too few saplings for easy farm expansion.

...another big disadvantage with willow is that ugly green wood - lol

Eh, it's all charcoal/pit kiln topping in the end.  If you're farming for aesthetics then you probably have a specific wood you want anyway.

Eh, it's all charcoal/pit kiln topping in the end.  If you're farming for aesthetics then you probably have a specific wood you want anyway.

And that's why douglas firs are awesome on multiple levels, because they're both high-yield and aesthetically pleasing. :D

How do you guys obtain large amounts of sticks? Because that's generally the stuff I need the most of out of a tree farm, due to the immense amounts of sticks needed for ladders when I'm out prospecting and checking the lower rock layers. I always feel compelled to manually break every single leaf block before cutting down the wood, to maximize my stick yield. And it's probably my least favorite part of TFC as a whole, since I spend more playtime on it than on any other activity. Making myself a scythe is something I've tried once, but... while it made harvesting faster, I got way too few sticks for my needs to make it worthwhile. I ended up having to spend more time, not less, due to having to wait for the next growth cycle of my tree farm. As far as I'm concerned, the scythe is a downgrade from bare hands leaf harvesting, not an upgrade.

So, what would you recommend?

Willow farms and scythe. Is the fastest way to get tons of sticks.

Willow farms and scythe. Is the fastest way to get tons of sticks.

I totally agree. I have a willow tree farm and I use scythe only to shave enough trees to replenish my saplings. I end up shaving 1/5th of the trees at most. I convert sticks to ladders (so 7 stacks turn into 3 stacks) and I don't know where to put them. I cannot imagine the number of sticks if I shaved all my trees...

Also, for tree farming purposes: willows give plenty of food, they are easy to shave for saplings (unlike the tall douglas firs) and I don't bother with spacing, I put them in 3x4 diamond grid. When they grow, I use scythe to get replacement saplings, then chop the trees. By the time I chop the last one, several new ones grow up. Then I chop these. Then my backpack is too full and I go put the wood in the charcoal pit. Then I return to the trees only to see that several more have sprung.

By the time the evening comes, the pit is full and producing charcoal and I have only a few saplings left. I don't wait for those few to grow, I just replant all. But in the end I get my full pit in one go and I don't have to use much space for my tree farm at all.

Edited by MiaMia

So, what would you recommend?

If you are in the iron age, you can just make a pair of shears. They instantly break leaf blocks, and they don't have the reduced drops like the scythe.

Wait, shears don't drop leaf blocks? o.O; Since when is that a thing?

(I don't think I have ever made shears in any TFC playthrough, since knives are good enough for sheep...)

Wait, shears don't drop leaf blocks? o.O; Since when is that a thing?

(I don't think I have ever made shears in any TFC playthrough, since knives are good enough for sheep...)

That's been a thing since 0.79.0 released over a year ago. They used to incorrectly drop leaf blocks back in 78, but the moment you tried to place them they would disappear with any block updates.

Shears are definitely on my must-have list for the iron age now.

They are part of the tool set I always carry with me.