Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Udary

End of TFC 1

32 posts in this topic

I'm surprised there hasn't been another thread started before. So here goes.

I for one am quite sad to see TFC officially sealed, finished, complete....whatever you want to call it.

I've been a follower for a while and have loved and hated how it's changed along the way. Either way I've accepted and adapted and continued to enjoy a great mod. This really IS what survival MC should have been.

I was really looking forward to the next thing and to see where it would take us.

For me it's a sad day, as I see TFC 2 moving in a different direction, and for me it's not a direction I wanted to go. I'm not going to say it's right or wrong, just different. Unless things change this may be a day to part company, and that's the sad thing.

TFC is great, nothing comes close to the detail included, the adherence to reality in an environment that could easily diverge.

Udary signing out.

It's my understanding that TFC is open source. Doesn't that mean that anyone willing to take the project on could continue developing it?

I'm with you in that I appreciate the believability of TFC and would like to see it continue in that direction. To me, things like magic are inherently unbelievable.

Edited by subarctic_guy

Yes, but doing so without actually approaching Bioxx and myself first would be an extremely disrespectful thing to do. They also will not have any access to our website or our wiki, so they'll probably have a very hard time getting anyone to know that they've picked it up and take over our fairly large community.

I'm not sad at all. This only means (hopefully) faster development of TFC2. Furthermore, TFC1 feels quite feature-complete with the add-ons available. 

I am a bit sad as well. But why the swansong, Udary? TFC1 is still here and like Terex said, it feels almost feature complete. We have many good mods to choose from and I hope more are coming. And Kitty will hopefully stay around to iron out some leftover bugs. The thing I wish for, Kitty: Give TFC1 a 1.0 version number after you done. Not that it matters for us long time fanboys/girls, its just feels wrong leaving it at beta something.

I'm with you in regards to TFC2, but I am an old grouchy who has always a hard time to adapt.

Anyway, I think a big "Thank You" is in order right now for the countless hours of joy and frustration I had with TFC in the past. So, Bioxx, Kitty, Dunk and ofc Menoch (TFC wouldn't be the same without your music!) - a thousand thanks for your efforts and dedication to our true survival mod. Best of luck for you all.

Cheers

Absolutely! I'm an old school gamer and TFC has been my game for 3-4 years hehe. Nice community, nice game. Not ready to leave

Agree and Agree.

I still wished tfc1 was just converted to 1.8 or 1.9. After all how many times did we hear that tfc is in Beta development? For me is like abandoning a project that was never finished.

I understand and agree with the argument that this conversion would be very boring without any new creation. 

But understanding the Dev's motivation does not prevent me from feeling sad to see the end of tfc1.

After all it was the realism of the mod that got so many players interested in it. Every time I hear about magic in tfc2 it makes me more aware of how different it will be from tfc1.

I still remember the first time I played tfc and was amazed by the fact that you cant punch a tree, because that does not make sense.

Is such a conflicting feeling, for one side I just cant wait to see what tfc2 will be. It looks like we finally will have enough animals.

The Islands look beautiful ! And what about the new trees? So many new things to explore and learn.

BTW if my post does not make sense to you is because those are contradictory feelings. I am both sad and excited. And I think that is how most of the community feels.  

I still wished tfc1 was just converted to 1.8 or 1.9. I understand and agree with the argument that this conversion would be very boring without any new creation. 

Slightly off topic, but I'd just like to reiterate that the argument is not that the conversion would be boring, the argument is that the conversion isn't realistically possible. Two very completely different concepts.

Thanks for the clarification Kitty.

If I understand correctly, there is no way to just adapt the existing code to work in 1.8 or 1.9, so one way or another someone needs to write a new code from scratch.

Now the tfc Developers have 2 choices:

They can just write this new code over the same functionalities and game mechanics that make tfc what it is today. Something mechanical and boring, with no creation process.

They can write a new code, but with new ideas and mechanics, exciting and fun.

Now I play this mod for free and cannot in any way shape or form criticize your decision. This mod should bring as much for the Developers to make it as it bring us to play it.

Me and I believe others just feel sad about not having tfc in 1.8. But like I said we are also excited about the new mod. So conflicting feelings. 

Don't mind us too much, just keep up the good work and have fun doing it. If you do not enjoy what you doing, what would be the sense in doing it? This is after all a hobby. 

We are all just very thankful to be able to play this amazing mod.

From what I remember it's not the case of not being able to adapt existing code, but existing ideas. Chisel, for example, is impossible in 1.8

From what I remember it's not the case of not being able to adapt existing code, but existing ideas. Chisel, for example, is impossible in 1.8

I'm not sure that "impossible" is the right word - see here.  "Prohibitive" may be better...

I'd just like to state that TFC2 really isn't that different than TFC1. Most of the same concepts remain. The only difference is that we are attempting to provide the player with a purpose for each playthrough with much more well thought out progression systems. I don't think that magic was never ruled out in TFC1 by me personally, but with my 'make it up as you go' approach, it was just never something that I was looking hard at. Dungeons as well were always intended with our 'move mobs underground' statements.

I would say the biggest difference this time is our re-commitment to providing a non-creative gameplay experience. I started to get sidetracked with things like the chisel which had no 'intended' gameplay purposes but ended up being a huge pain to deal with because of multi-block structures and people using it as a way to exploit around the cave-in system, among other things.

so if it's simpler to just forget it, so much the better.

I'd just like to state that TFC2 really isn't that different than TFC1. Most of the same concepts remain.

Sounds cool.

The only difference is that we are attempting to provide the player with a purpose for each playthrough with much more well thought out progression systems.

I would say the biggest difference this time is our re-commitment to providing a non-creative gameplay experience.

:rolleyes:  Lost me there. I think it's a real shame that TFC1 was "balanced" for multiplayer competition rather than a believable, "use what you have in the area" survival sandbox.

vOv Your mod. At least the TFC1 source is open and forkable, and 1.7.10 is available for the foreseeable future.

Edited by d00dV4d3r

I would say the biggest difference this time is our re-commitment to providing a non-creative gameplay experience. I started to get sidetracked with things like the chisel which had no 'intended' gameplay purposes but ended up being a huge pain to deal with because of multi-block structures and people using it as a way to exploit around the cave-in system, among other things.

Not a creative player myself, but I have enjoyed some survival maps in the past and know that the ability to create challenging and realistic maps depends on having blocks and items available in the creative tab.

I believe it would only add to the mod if people were able to create convincing maps.

Edited by TonyLiberatto

I think there's a difference between playing creatively, and playing in creative mode. One is creating something that looks nice like a town or a castle. Maybe with a lot of ornaments, chisel, etc. The other is to provide items and blocks to a player.

You could make the argument that vanilla Minecraft itself, although it has creative mode, is fairly limited in it's creative gameplay. And yet a ton of people play the game that way. Even if TFC 2 is committed to providing a non-creative gameplay experience, I'll guarantee that a lot of people will play it that way. People just like to build things that look nice with the blocks and items at their disposal. It's one of the biggest appeals to the game after all. If you need examples, we have a ton of towns on our server where people made all sorts of interesting and nice looking builds. They don't look nice because of chisel, they look nice because people make interesting combinations with what they have.

It would be really nice if TFC 2 would allow players to use the creative tab to spawn in completely functional items. Even without getting side tracked in by a game mechanic that eats up a lot of dev time people will enjoy this a lot. And it would also make the lives of server admins a lot easier if we could spawn in say, food items without the need for command blocks to edit nbt data.

We aren't quite finished with TFC 1 yet though. There still are a lot of people playing the game and we've got 3 new servers planned to be opened soon. I'll say this for TFC. It's been a wild and interesting ride. TFC does what very few mods manage to do and that is expand vanilla Minecraft in more or less the direction that vanilla Minecraft was going in but never quite reached. I hope you guys continue on this journey and make vanilla Minecraft all it can be in TFC :)

I don't view TerraFirmaCraft as just a mere "mod".  It's more like a spin-off in both scope and content.  Like New Vegas was for Fallout 3.  I can't imagine the hours upon hours spent on this project, without expectation of payment.  Just for the love of the game. 

I have every confidence that the new version will be just as enjoyable as the original.  Looking forward to what comes next. :)

...it feels almost feature complete.

What's actually missing? The only thing I can think of is some use for gemstones, or some kind of "end" goal, like the Ender Dragon in Vanilla.

One last thing that could still slightly be adjusted is indeed.. ya gemstones.

hmm, something more useful than just a monsters spawner indicator...

Edited by landryx

Im a causual gamer. TFC is like a fully fledged version of Minecraft, its the only reason I play the sandbox of Minecraft anymore, more I just call it TFC...sandbox, build what you want and survive. Personally I wish someone creates a temperature mod with believable features as well add more realistic foilage and fauna to fill the worst and create more challenge and variety for the player. Maybe even cross-over millenaire one day. TFC has lived up to being what survival MC should have been and more. Thanks TFC devs.

Edited by cjworks

Gem stones have use in an addon (Decorations by Aleksey) as light emitters on the wall. Better quality gem stone emits brighter light. 

For me, I wish there was more to discover underground (like previously you would have to dig deep to find sulphur). However, TFC2 will have dungeons and therefore addresses this point. 

I am sure, there is somewhere said, that it is not possible, but I can not find it.  So I wanted to be sure: Would it be welcome to make pull-requests on GitHub for tfc1?

Edited by drkoaeg

2 minutes ago, drkoaeg said:

I am sure, there is somewhere said, that it is not possible, but I can not find it.  So I wanted to be sure: Would it be welcome to make pull-requests on GitHub for tfc1?

Only if it is fixing a major exploit or crash, and you have also created a report for that exploit/crash on this forum or in a private message to me. I have stated multiple times now that I won't go through the process of creating a whole new release just for more features.