Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Narcisista

Water Purification, Plumbing system and stuffs

17 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

Hello! I've a great idea, is about water. 

- Water purification system: (Water filter, to transform salt water in fresh water or add a new type, dirt water)

- Tubes and plumbing: To transport water (Like AgriCraft)

- Sprinkles

I hope you Staff team like this idea, sorry for bad english.

Welcome to the Forums! This is just a friendly reminder of rule #3 of the suggestions forum, as this suggestion post was essentially a one-off without any depth to really spark discussion of implementation:

3. ​Spend time making your suggestion worth reading.

• If you take your time to fully flesh out a suggestion, the developers are much more likely to read and consider it. One-off suggestions with very little thought put into them will likely be ignored.

Because this is your first post on this website, I will be a bit more lenient and not lock this topic, but please keep in mind for future topics that breaking any of the rules will very likely result in your topic being locked or even deleted.

i think it may be a good idea to re-write your topic, and i have decided to give you a little help with that. afterall this is too good of a mod idea (for TFC atleast) to let sit by the wayside.

Brick Pipes (Made on a crafting table)

brick pipes are cheap and easy to make but they break down wthin a month ingame

they would be amde with 6 bricks allong the top and bottom and brick morter in the center (to be decided how it would be crafted)

Copper Pipes (Made on an Anvil)

Copper pipes are the next best thing you can get, they don't break down over time like their brick counterpart but they are rather fragile to explosions and attacks

Iron Pipes (Made on an Anvil)

Iron pipes are a lot stronger then copper pipes but they rust and break down when exposed to direct water or rain (or air in even longer cases)

Steel Pipes (Made on an Anvil)

Steel pipes are the ultimate evolution of the pipe, they don't rust they don't break down and they are more sesistant to explosions then iron pipes but they are hard to craft!

(copper pipes would also remove *some* infectious things from the water, seriously this is a real thing that copper does look it up :P)

Edited by jeffg10

they would be amde with 6 bricks allong the top and bottom and brick morter in the center (to be decided how it would be crafted)

Why they should Break Down within a month ingame?

I think they only must be use for irrigation application, no water purification.

You can also make Clay pipe, by coating a Log or broad stick with clay and burn it. (Clay harden and low disapear, you have a "clay pipe")

Your recipe works fine too.

(copper pipes would also remove *some* infectious things from the water, seriously this is a real thing that copper does look it up :P)

True, but i believe that will not be some of "purification water" in TFC 2. (but i really wanna it)

Steel Pipes (Made on an Anvil)

Steel pipes are the ultimate evolution of the pipe, they don't rust they don't break down and they are more sesistant to explosions then iron pipes but they are hard to craft!

Steel aren't stainless by defaut.

You need to add Nickel and chrome and low carbon quantity in it.

X2CrNi18-9 is a basic Stainless steel containing 0.02% carbon - 18 % Chrome - 9% nickel.

The chrome is a good counter-oxydation (i dunno the correct word in english) from oxygen present in water/air

Nickel aren't needed but increased the counter oxydation level.

A basic steel get 0.12 to 2% carbon, it's really hard in the timeframe of TFC to make stainless steel (which get often lower than 0.12%).

(Decreasing the amount of carbon by injecting pure oxygen to "burn" carbon.)

A High carbon steel (1%) are destinated to be Surface/Core Tempering. (carbon in the center of the piece will move to the surface and increased the Hardness, but Choc resistance decreased).

(note: I'm not just launch wiki and teach yours what i read, i'm industrial designer in a copper/nickel alloys french foundery, and i must often choose some steel for gear, etc.)

Edited by n3urotoxik

I like this idea. The water purification can even have a tech tree, and depending on the scarcity of salt, could prove to be a necessity.

This is all off-the-cuff, but maybe something like so?

Tier 0: Boil salt water in a large ceramic vessel, to yield a reduced volume of water, plus salt. (Perhaps have a craftable, still-like device that uses a large ceramic vessel and a barrel, with the vessel over a fire pit, and a barrel or another vessel to collect the distillate.) Output water is 50% of volume of salt water input. Volume = large ceramic vessel volume.

Tier 1: Glass still placed over a forge, with collection vessel. Output water is 60% volume of salt water input. Volume = barrel volume.

Tier 2: Iron still, with self-contained pilot light. Volume = 2X barrel. Output water is 70% volume of salt water input. Can rust, requiring scouring. Pilot light requires fuel, and maintenance. Overheating can result in explosion.

Tier 3: Steel (stainless?) still, with self-contained pilot light. Volume = 4X barrel. Output water is 80% volume of salt water input. Can corrode, requiring passivation. Pilot light requires fuel, and maintenance. (If steam is part of TFC2, this could be fueled by a steam boiler. If mechanical tech is part of TFC2, a pressure relief valve could prevent overpressurization due to overheating.)

Tier 4 (or higher?): Desalination facility, analogous to a saw mill or other automated/mechanical things.

this could bring a balanced ratio of health/difficulty of surviving progression since non purified water keep your life low (unhealthy) and weak again eating raw food, and wild beasts from the start. Impossible to enter caves and confront tough lurking cave monsters late-game without developing a way to become healthier. (more advanced cooking method and water purification)/

this idea would add a lot of wanted complexity to the game please add it, also it would be sick if we got mechanical solar boilers.

they would be massive metal vats with a glass sloped down top full of sand and the sun evaporates the water out of the sand leaving salt behind and bringing the water vapor to the glass and the drips follow the glass to a collection dish with a pipe bringing clean water out. the mechanical part would be a flood gate that lets in water when in runs out and every so often you would need to shovel out the salt (when it adds up to about 20% of the internal volume).

On 19/1/2016 at 11:13 PM, jeffg10 said:

Better if they don't break down, but dirties the fresh water in them after a tot. distance of travel (of the water).

Copper should be the best tube, and water in it don't change (don't dirties) but it does not purifies the water).

I think we don't need Iron and Steel tubes, as Iron is useful (without the "ful") only for farms, and we have already brick tubes, and Stainless-Steel is an high level technology.

On May 16, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Diego il Catanico Jr said:

Better if they don't break down, but dirties the fresh water in them after a tot. distance of travel (of the water).

Copper should be the best tube, and water in it don't change (don't dirties) but it does not purifies the water).

I think we don't need Iron and Steel tubes, as Iron is useful (without the "ful") only for farms, and we have already brick tubes, and Stainless-Steel is an high level technology.

what about lead pipes as well? i mean it would probably make the water poisoned over time, but maybe could otherwise be a good alternative if you are low on copper. idk if it would be completely necessary though. I mean i big reason to use lead irl is that it's easy to work, but that's not so much of a concern in minecraft...

I would usage of pumps make essential for deeper mining. Without a running pump in 30 blocks radius, water blocks should be placed instead of air.

6 minutes ago, drkoaeg said:

I would usage of pumps make essential for deeper mining. Without a running pump in 30 blocks radius, water blocks should be placed instead of air.

good idea,  it is certainly something that mines irl have to deal with (flooding), although i am also sure that some players would just find it annoying :P (although i personally would like it)

Through the new one big ore vane spawning, you had the choice. You could also live without pumps but you could reach much less ore.

Edited by drkoaeg

Perhaps we should have a system of water and alcohol purification. When you drink dirty water it has a chance of making you sick. If you were to first make a ceramic pot and use it to boil water. The water takes a while to boil in the ceramic pot because it isn't very conductive. Later you could make a copper pot which heats up water very quickly due to the conductivity of copper, though if you get it too hot it will melt, boiled water is mostly safe but has a small chance of making you sick. Therefore we need to upgrade even further. Once you have iron you can make a basin out of plates and attach it to copper pipes to make a still. A still has the the ability to purify both water and alcohol, depending on the temperature and what you put in. Pure water won't get you sick, also if you add saltwater you will get drinkable water and salt. Pure alcohol can be burned in lamps, consumed (may make you blind), and used in food preservation.

I like the idea of distilling pure alcohol to burn in lamps, I would like to see that added.

Alcoholic beverages like beer and wine were usually drunk in medieval times, or diluted in a bit of water, because they were more sanitary than fresh water. They could fill the thirst bar without risk of making you sick (well, except drunkness of course).

Well, it'd at least be a legit use for alcoholic drinks.  I'm kind of for it just so there's not such a huge amount of content whose only real use is making vinegar.  So like, maybe the player has a 1% or .05% chance per jug of regular water to contract a disease of some kind.   Some could detract from mining speed, or increase hunger or thirst depletion, or maybe deduct form the top end of your hitpoints (until cured).  Filtration would need to be a separate, higher tech though, so the player maybe would use alcohol for a time.  Distillation of water should be very very slow to do in quantity.  Otherwise people would just use the water.  Problem is it'd kind of require a new type of water - 'pure' water.  That, or the only way to get these pure waters is to take it directly from the distiller in glass bottles.  So rather than a new water type, it'd be an item.  Pouring the pure water into anything else would turn it to normal water.

Alcohol lamps would of course be good too.  Or if first aid kits were a thing, then rubbing alcohol.  Stuff like that.

Good ideas. Alcohol, even not pure but still high grade, could be used to make molotovs. New simple weapon.

You're right Darmo, this process would be very slow because it involves boiling the water and then catching the vapors and condensing them.