Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
n3urotoxik

[TFC 1] - Food - Crock Pot

11 posts in this topic

Hi Cavemans.
I ll do my best to be clear, i'm not english, i am french.
I haven't any skill in coding, so i can't do it by myself, this is why i request your help to make this CrockPot addon possible.

Name: Crock Pot, meals creator.

Introduction :

It's a new block/items, looks like mix between crucible and Foodstation.

It releases Wrought Iron tier Meals that resplendish better your hunger bar, restor little life and some effect (depending of complexity and rarity of ingredient)

It adds also diversity to the game, i'm french as i said before : I love eat epic meal.

Mechanic :

1. You need to make a CrockPot block, by add Wrought Iron2 Pot + Wrought Iron Lid2 in your crafting slot.
  2. It's needed to be put on a firepit or a forge.
  3. Right click on the crockpot block to open UI
  4. Put in liquid (Fresh water, oil, alcohol, milk...), ingredient (30oz slot), epices1 and Storage item like bowl or stick for the meal
  5. Launch cooking and wait the time requiered
  6. Get the meals
  7. Eat and enjoy.
  8. Repeat.

1 : Only if we implement new wild crops : Thym, ChillyPepper, Pepper, and others.

2 : Make them in a forge with sheet, recipe available below.

User interface :

160112121048467862.png

1- Crock pot icon UI (it changes function of open/close)

2- Remaining Liquid

3- Temp °

4- Ingredients recipe, 1 slot = 30 Oz

5- Food obtained

6- Launch Cooking button

7- Misc Storage (bowl, stick, etc.)

8- Remaining time

Crock Pot Block recipe :

160112103640577249.png Crock pot = Wrough iron Pot 160112103356339960.png + Wrough iron Lid 160112103523104432.png

Wrought Iron Pot
160112103733133657.png

Wrought Iron Lid

160112103750689925.png

Meals Recipe :

They aren't random combinaison like sandwich, pre-determined food recipe as don't starve with sometime few ingredient possible.

I don't give any value for hunger, only heal atm.

160113105331130947.png

In progress...

Edited by n3urotoxik

For the last month, I have been working on an addon that expands cooking in TFC. While it will be off in future updates, a Crock pot/dutch oven like that used in "Don't Starve" will definitely be part of my addon in the future. ;)  

This sounds like a great idea! can wait to see how it all turns out :D

For the last month, I have been working on an addon that expands cooking in TFC. While it will be off in future updates, a Crock pot/dutch oven like that used in "Don't Starve" will definitely be part of my addon in the future. ;)  

Hi,

Really cool, i read shortly your topic, but you would implement modern recipe like pizza, lemonade, etc... I'm not really enjoy that. Can you make an addon Crock pot + TFC Timeframe food recipe side by side of your Food addon?

Like this :

- Your food addon (with modern recipe like pizza, etc)

- Crock pot addon + recipe TFC timeframe

?

I edited my post to add Crock pot making recipe information.

I ll add informations about UI of Crock pot soon

Edited by n3urotoxik

I'm following a food history, so the first items you can make/use are those from early human food us and progresses in time to the more recent recipes like pizza, lemonade, etc. As for not wanting recipes/foods, instead of making a new mod for every person to meet their requests, I am including config options to remove recipes/foods. Just simply change a variable in the config from true to false to disable it.

... I am including config options to remove recipes/foods. Just simply change a variable in the config from true to false to disable it.

Pretty interesting

I like the idea of creating recipes that actually make sense.

I would like this mod more if it also included a clay option. 

People on the stone age were able to cook soups and all kinds of food.

When you think about the only difference between a iron pot and clay is that the clay has a chance to break.

Before anyone says that people would not make the iron one if they had the clay, I like to point out that the same as in real life, once you loose all your food 3 times because the pot broke, you will take the time to make that iron pot.

I like the idea of "clay version", buy i like also "cooking high level tier".

I think clay pot heat slower than wrought pot, and make more time to cook ingredients, plus break chance and lost component.

Ah, i forget to say : If you read wrong english sentence in my op, please correct me

Edited by n3urotoxik

Of course a clay pot needs a chance to break and loose all the ingredients. It would be the main reason to update to the iron pot.

As far as cooking time, at least in real life there is no much of a difference. 

I should point that I have done cooking in both in real life.

The thing that bothers me with some concepts in tfc and some addons is to try to tier mechanicks and features.

Everything you can do in a iron pot can be done in a clay pot. There is no difference.

Modern recipes should need different setups, No way you should be able to make pizza in a pot.

Bread and pizza should be done in an oven.

bacon and eggs need a frying pan, and before anyone points out I actually have one made of clay, it works great.

Just because a clay pot or frying pan works, does not mean it works as well as a metal one. Generally speaking, metal is better at heat transfer. Take a cast iron pan versus an aluminum one for example. The cast iron takes a while to heat up, but once it does it stays hot for much longer. An aluminum pan on the other hand heats up quickly, but also dissipates that heat very quickly into whatever it is cooking.

The exact same thing is true for a clay pan versus a metal one. It's basic thermodynamics; different materials are better at heat retention and have different specific heats so they warm up at different rates.

Just because a clay pot or frying pan works, does not mean it works as well as a metal one. Generally speaking, metal is better at heat transfer. Take a cast iron pan versus an aluminum one for example. The cast iron takes a while to heat up, but once it does it stays hot for much longer. An aluminum pan on the other hand heats up quickly, but also dissipates that heat very quickly into whatever it is cooking.

The exact same thing is true for a clay pan versus a metal one. It's basic thermodynamics; different materials are better at heat retention and have different specific heats so they warm up at different rates.

I actually agree. Anyone who has cooked with clay pots will tell you that they are ideal for slow cooking. Some things actually need to slow cook to taste better.

Of course it will be somewhat faster to cook something in and iron pot them in a clay pot.

What bothers me is the artificiality of a pseudo tech progression where some things need to stay behind some arbitrary item.

Take for example Pizza, anyone would think is a very modern invention, right? 

Pizza is actually a very old food and in one form or another it has existed since Neanderthal times, very long before Metals.

read Here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pizza   

:

Foods similar to pizza have been made since the neolithic age. Records of people adding other ingredients to bread to make it more flavorful can be found throughout ancient history.

• In Sardinia, French and Italian archaeologists have found bread baked over 7,000 years ago. According to Professor Philippe Marinval, the local islanders leavened this bread.[4]
  • The Ancient Greeks had a flat bread called plakous (πλακοῦς, gen. πλακοῦντος - plakountos)[5] which was flavored with toppings like herbs, onion, and garlic.
  • In the sixth century BC, the soldiers in Persian King Darius I armies baked flatbreads with cheese and dates on top of their battle shields.[6][7]

Like pizza, these flatbreads are from the Odyssey era. Other examples of flatbreads that survive to this day from the ancient Mediterranean world are focaccia (which may date back as far as the ancient Etruscans),coca (which has sweet and savory varieties) from CataloniaValencia and the Balearic Islands, the Greek PitaLepinja in the Balkans, or Piadina in the Romagna part of Emilia-Romagna in Italy.[8]

Foods similar to flatbreads in other parts of the world include the Indian Paratha (in which fat is incorporated), the Central and South Asian Naan (leavened) and Roti (unleavened), the Sardinian CarasauSpianata,GuttiauPistoccu and Finnish Rieska. Also worth note is that throughout Europe there are many similar pies based on the idea of covering flat pastry with cheese, meat, vegetables and seasoning such as the Alsatian Flammkuchen, German Zwiebelkuchen, and French Quiche.

Now since in no way shape or form you actually need iron or metals to make bread, flat bread and have some spices on top, I see no reason to have pizza only available after metal.

Most foods have existed for a long time, people actually keep reinventing the same thing over and over. Of course having a gas or electrical cook top and metal pans and running water  ,makes things a lot easier, but that does not mean the food taste better.

Another important distinction is about nutrition value, cooking on a metal pan will not give you any advantage as far as nutrition goes. So cooking without metal will be slower and messier, with a risk of loosing your ingredients in case the pot breaks, but everything you can make in a metal pot you should be able to make in a clay pot.