Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sgt_Rubber_Ducky

Water Based Disasters

12 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

I would like to see things like droughts or floods in TFC2 that affect the plants and trees negatively. For instance, something like trees and plants dying during droughts and/or floods that wash away crops and grass. Thanks for the feedback in advance.

It'd be nice, but the logistics of it are the question.  I rather doubt it'd be worth the coding effort to figure out how to make the game fill low areas with water - never mind the sometimes bizarrely inconsistent generation, with running water directly above open air in ravines.  Possibly have water source blocks appear above existing river blocks, so they'd flow out around and wash away crops?    Or limit it to farm tiles?  The farm tile checks for flood conditions and if true breaks whatever crop may exist there and then generates a water source block above it?  Then only farmland would flood, but that's about all we care about anyway perhaps.  Or, now that it appears there will be a variable hydration value rather than simple binary no/yes, maybe it's simply tracked by the moisture value, and if it gets to high the field gets a different texture with a watery look on top.  That'd actually be really great if rice required such a state to grow properly.  And probably simpler than generating water blocks all over.

Drought would be a little easier maybe, just make it so crops not in a hydrated hex simply die, rather than growing at a slowed rate.  Trees and berry bushes produce nothing during a drought.  This could be a special weather state, not simply temperature based.  Something that tracks the time since the last rain perhaps, and beyond a certain point and above a certain temperature, the island is considered to be in a drought.

It'd be nice if flood and drought could both be a thing, because you'd want to plant your plants in a hydrated hex to counter drought, but at the same time that exposes the crops to a flood.  So the player may do a little of each, to hedge their bets, knowing there's a good chance one or the other planting will be lost.  But the flood thing seems like it'd be hard to do believably.

However if they could be done, it would open the stage for irrigation technology.  So the player could plant crops in a hex *not* near a river or lake (and so not 'naturally' hydrated) and so have no risk of flooding.  But they pipe the water to the field, to keep it hydrated in drought.    So at that point they've freed themselves from the vagaries of weather at least somewhat, which would be a big step.  It kind of all depends on how the hydration thing works exactly, and if these mechanics are considered worth the effort.

I like the ideas you suggested, especially irrigation. And I understand the problem of gaps and technicalities in floods and will not be disappointed if they aren't added.

A simpler idea for floods could just be changed textures and effects to the environment. Like wood could have a drowned texture that affects the look of your house. That also adds room for sinkholes. They could happen in wet ground with some air underneath, and the likelihood  of it happening could depend on how far the air pockets are under the surface. And for wood, parts of your house might collapse due to floods or just extremely wet conditions.

And droughts would definitely leave room for water conservation techniques.

That'd actually be really great if rice required such a state to grow properly.

In real life, rice actually doesn't require super wet conditions to grow. The only reason why we always see flooded rice paddies is because rice can grow in those conditions, and the water acts as a fantastic pest repellent. Source.

As for the suggestion, I see one major problem: Rainfall in Minecraft is global. There's no way to make it rain in one area of the world, without have it raining everywhere else. Desert biomes just do what they can to make it appear like it's not raining by not rendering the particles, not playing the sound, and not damaging endermen. The sky skill darkens though, and it's still technically raining in the code.

There are mods out there for 1.7.10 that attempt non-global weather, but it's basically like shaders or dynamic lights in that the changes they make are just client-side (what you see on your screen) and behind the scenes with the calculations on the server, it isn't actually raining.

A sudden flood when it hasn't rained in months doesn't make sense, just like being in the middle of a drought, but there's a thunderstorm going on that doesn't hydrate anything doesn't make sense. Simply adding a "tolerance level" to areas and basing floods and droughts off of the actual in-game rain doesn't really work either, because worlds where the players sleep every night to every few nights never rain, and eventually everywhere would have a drought. Imagine saying to yourself, "I'm in the middle of a drought, I better not sleep through the night so it will rain." Doesn't make much sense does it?

In real life, rice actually doesn't require super wet conditions to grow.

*mind blown*

I thought Bioxx was working on a way to have the different islands of TFC2 have their own weather, but I was probably mistaken, I'll bet it was uniform temperature profile for each island region..hopefully.   And ya, in the context of uniform world precipitation, it wouldn't be a very good mechanic.

Right, it's a uniform climate for each island. So it's similar to how TFC has climate distribution based on Z coordinate, it's just instead of a smooth continuous scale over the entire world, it's distinct changes that covers the entire island. 

Actually kitty seems to have forgotten that I HAVE rewritten weather. Each island has its own rain map which causes storms to come and go on a per island and per season basis. The system is fully functional on github but needs a lot of polish. 

That said, floods would be neat, but won't happen. There are just too many issues with making it work well.

Note that Bioxx's above statement is a similar weather implementation to what I wrote about in my earlier post. It does not completely replace the vanilla rain system, and therefore will not be compatible with any other mods that depend on vanilla rain.

Actually kitty seems to have forgotten that I HAVE rewritten weather. Each island has its own rain map which causes storms to come and go on a per island and per season basis. The system is fully functional on github but needs a lot of polish. 

That said, floods would be neat, but won't happen. There are just too many issues with making it work well.

that is awesome. its kinda like the local weather presented in the Weather 2 mod. nice. ^_^b

I see the problems with floods and droughts. I really like what Bioxx has implemented for the weather though, and that will probably be better in some aspects. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Sgt_Rubber_Ducky

As much as I hate to suggest it, could hoed ground become waterlogged in stormy conditions? It just means that even Equatorial Islands will have periods of croppage difficulties

As much as I hate to suggest it, could hoed ground become waterlogged in stormy conditions? It just means that even Equatorial Islands will have periods of croppage difficulties

That's a good idea. Especially since crops in hotter areas are harder to destroy or ruin. That might be as much trouble as flood, though.