Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Omicron

Does Dynamic Lighting run well for anyone at all...?

8 posts in this topic

I see multiple TFC modpacks having this mod in their recommended list. I have also seen streamers (both TFC and regular modded Minecraft) use this mod, and it always looks so cool. However, whenever I install it, my performance simply disintegrates. There's really no other word for it than that.

The thing is: my computer isn't exactly weak. I have a desktop Haswell i5, overclocked to 4x4.20 GHz. There's 16 GB RAM available for the taking. And my videocard can run games like FF XIV at maximum settings just fine, so I doubt Minecraft is going to struggle on it... In fact, when I boot up a new Terrafirmacraft world, and let all the chunks load, my framerate will sit snugly pressed against the 120 FPS cap defined in the video options, even with maximum view distance. I didn't check how high it would go uncapped. (Yes, I do have Fastcraft installed.)

But as soon as I select a torch in my hotbar, boom, I'm down to 40 FPS. Okay, I have played Minecraft on weaker systems in the past, capped to 30 FPS, so I could deal with it. But it's not just the framerate. My game stutters in the rhythm of Dynamic Lighting's update interval. Each cycle, defaulting to once per second, the screen will freeze for a tiny fraction of the blink of an eye and then jump forwards to catch up. It's utterly, gruesomely jarring.

This really surprises me, because apparently the mod must run more smoothly like that for someone, right? Nobody in their right mind would play like that, much less think it a good idea to distribute it in a modpack to random people with god knows what hardware. And none of the streamers I have watched seemed to have that microstutter issue either. Is that something only I am experiencing, for some arcane reason? o_O;

Keep in mind that when you watch a stream, you aren't seeing everything that they do. Those streams are usually only 30 FPS, with the rare streamer that has fantastic internet doing 60 FPS. It's much more likely that those streamers are experiencing the exact same issue as you, but the timing is such that by the time it goes through their streaming client, through twitch's buffers, and to your monitor, those frames with the stutter just don't appear.

It will always cause some issues with performance, but with a decent system it should be fine.

Have you tried the JVM arguements from the TFC wiki? Search performance optimization I believe.

@Kittychanley: Considering how extremely noticable it is on my system, I'm not fully convinced that the streaming interface would hide all of it so reliably... but well, I don't exactly have proof to the contrary, either.

@Busan: I looked up and tried the Java arguments, which made no noticable difference whatsoever. Still, thanks for trying to help.

It's a crying shame, but I'll be giving this mod the boot :( The more I look at it, the more I consider it flat-out unplayable (and this is coming from someone who will accept 30FPS without complaint).

Back to tweaking configs I go...

I see same performance issues with this mod. Best rely on the same effect provided by some shader packs like SEUS. 

I see same performance issues with this mod. Best rely on the same effect provided by some shader packs like SEUS. 

I have to agree with Terex.

(Shaders mod + SEUS) you'll have better results.

Good luck!

I've always shied away from shader packs due to how much inconsistency they introduce. I think I've tried them in 1.5, in 1.6 and in 1.7, and every time I saw the exact same issues: sunlight appearing in caves deep underground, landscape shadows disappearing when the player breaks line of sight with the sun, water becoming all but invisible when placed out of sunlight, and a lot of other small irksome things that nobody ever shows you in screenshot and promo videos but that you come across during actual gameplay all the time... Yes, 90% of the game looks better, but the remaining 10% is problematic and, to humor a certain phrase, breaks my immersion. Minecraft's default look my be low-fi, but at least it doesn't remind me every minute that I'm playing a videogame with a not fully working mod.

I mean, perhaps you can fix those things. But I've tentatively toyed with some of the settings, and nothing I did made a difference. And every single one of the 10+ premade shader config packs I downloaded showed those exact same issues, too... persistently across many different mod and Minecraft versions. So it's certainly not giving me the impression that it's fixable.

Edited by Omicron

The latest version of SEUS 10.2 preview 1 still shows the sun in caves during sunrise and sunset. But otherwise no other jarring visual effects. I think it's acceptable.