Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

15 posts in this topic

It felt a bit weird to be part of this community forum but not write in it, so here's an introductory post. My name is Tricky. I am a sound editor and I will be helping out with sound production for TFC2. I've done sound editing for many mods for different games in the past, going back 15 years or so. I'm just starting out now with TFC2, but if you have feedback about any of the new (or old) sounds in the TFC2 development build, I'd like to hear about it.

Oh, one more thing. In spite of my best efforts, I've actually never been able to get the original TFC to run. That's OK though, I technically don't need to. I just want to help out because I greatly respect the type of gameplay TFC offers. Maybe I'll be able to get TFC or TFC2 to work at some point, maybe not. I just want to help out either way. But for the time being, it does mean that any questions about sound that relate specifically to gameplay should probably be directed at the devs first. Because I just don't... :wacko:

That's all. ;)

Important edit:

I do not take requests for new sounds. Sound editing is time consuming work and I only have a bit of free time every weekend scheduled for Bioxx's requests. I am however open to feedback about sounds that were added to the development build of the game, especially since I cannot hear the endresult ingame myself. If you absolutely have to make a suggestion for a new sound, the suggestions subforum would probably be a better place for it. But I'm not going to read that because I'm not the one who decides what gets and doesn't get to be in the game. It's as simple as that. :lol:

Edited by Tricky

Great! Glad to hear more talent is working on the next project! Perhaps this has been said before, but you know how vanilla MC is actually so quiet? No birds, no insects not anything making sound. TFC added frogs and perhaps something else i forgot. BUT we should have more :) 

Best,

Rex

Terex - TFC1 has crickets too, but yes I do like the idea of ambient noise - as long as it's not a cacophony :)

Thanks, Terex. Yeah, MC can be a pretty quiet game. Some atmospheric sounds other than rain would have been nice. But hey, it looks like there are some Dutchies here. Hallo! I'm actually Dutch too, I just live in Norway. :lol:

Winds whooshing noises at higher y cords?

Just to clarify, I do not take requests from the community. I work directly for Bioxx. I am however open to feedback on sounds I made that have been added to the development build.

are ocean/beach noises in play? what about blended sounds? Say you have a beach biome and it has beach like sounds attached to that biome, but it "feathers" out into other nearby biomes so it just doesn't cut off as soon as you leave that biome like some other mods do.

anyways, ambient sound makes a vidya game.. 

In other words, don't offer feedback about sounds unless you've actually compiled and loaded 1.8 and have heard the current sounds that are added. And even then, you can only offer feedback about the ones you hear, as asking about sounds you didn't hear is a request, which will be ignored.

Thanks Kittychanley.

I should also point out that not all sounds I finish for TFC2 will always immediately be added to the current development build. I use recordings from both private and public domain sources, but even in the public domain it is considered a common courtesy to notify a foley artist beforehand that you are using their material, before re-publishing it in a different form. Sometimes they'll have it stated somewhere explicitly that you do not need to notify them if you want to use their work, or put everything they make under Creative Commons 0 (for instance if, like me, they are no longer recording new sounds and have withdrawn from the online community for some time). I will still send them a notification that I'm using their work, but I won't have to wait for a reply before I publish it to TFC2.

This courtesy is mainly in effect so foley artists who release material in the public domain have some sense of where all their work ends up. On average about half the time it doesn't get in the way of republishing edited sounds immediately, the other half it can take up to a few weeks before I get a notification back. If the wait turns ridiculously long, which is rare but does happen, I'll find some other source sound to build from and start again.

tl;dr - some delays are likely to happen.

Edited by Tricky

OK. So one day we come to the Forum and there is a post about a new guy that will be working on the sound for tfc2. As we are all excited and anxiously awaiting for the new mod, any news like that cause a stir in the community. The natural reaction of all of us is to give suggestions based on tfc1.

I do not want to antagonize Tricky, but also do not think is fair to ask players not to give suggestions or make requests, if that was his intentions, maybe he should not have said anything.

Just stayed hide in the background working on the sounds until it was all done.

Everyone that works on the mod is subject to suggestions and requests. Everyday I have players suggesting changes to my servers. Does that mean I have to abide by their suggestions? No, but the discussion is healthy, and in the end contributes for the betterment of my servers.

One more time, welcome to the community, any and all help towards making this wonderful mod is greatly appreciated.

OK. So one day we come to the Forum and there is a post about a new guy that will be working on the sound for tfc2. As we are all excited and anxiously awaiting for the new mod, any news like that cause a stir in the community. The natural reaction of all of us is to give suggestions based on tfc1.

I do not want to antagonize Tricky, but also do not think is fair to ask players not to give suggestions or make requests, if that was his intentions, maybe he should not have said anything.

Everyone that works on the mod is subject to suggestions and requests. Everyday I have players suggesting changes to my servers. Does that mean I have to abide by their suggestions? No, but the discussion is healthy, and in the end contributes for the betterment of my servers.

One more time, welcome to the community, any and all help towards making this wonderful mod is greatly appreciated.

I never said people couldn't make suggestions for TFC2. I'm just saying that there's just no point in bringing that up with me. It's pretty clear however where suggestions *are* meant to go on this forum and I invite everyone to do so there.

Everyone that works on the mod is subject to suggestions and requests

I think you're confusing my practical level of involvement with TFC2 with a condition *to* working on TFC2.

Edited by Tricky

I think maybe someone ought to create a thread about suggestions for  new  sounds - I don't want to do that as it would imply that I have something to suggest - which I don't :)

I think you're misunderstanding the huge different in roles for a developer versus an artist. To make a comparison, the work that Tricky does is closer to somebody making a resource or texture pack. You don't see anyone going into the resource pack forum and asking the artists to create new items and blocks, do you? Not everyone who works on the mod is subject to suggestions and requests, especially when they don't have the ability to implement either of them. Literally any person who has made a resource pack and shared it on this forum can be considered a person "who works on the mod."

Literally all that Tricky does is create sound files when we ask for them. He does not have the ability to actually write the code in the mod that makes it so that the sound file will play. Just like how you don't ask capt_slowpoke, our texture artist, to create a bunch of new unimplemented things and make art to go with them, you don't ask the person who makes sound files to add new sounds to the game.

I think I understand now.

Let's see, so Bioxx decides to code in a new animal. After the code is written he needs a new texture and sound effects for that animal, that's where capt_slowpoke and Tricky come forward. In that sense yes I see how it would be not just uncalled but unreasonable to bring requests to those artists.