Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ForestAgain

Tips on fighting bears?

17 posts in this topic

So, I'm not a very battl-ey kind of person in Minecraft. Even in vanilla, I am always scared of hostile mobs and try to fight them as little as possible, always hiding or sleeping away the nights. (Yet I don't play on Peaceful, seems a bit cheaty for me + mobs drop useful items, and in TFC experience gives you extra health points). In TFC, that stays true as well, and since I haven't yet found sheep in my world, I spend my nights in-doors, in the smithery or re-organizing my items.

And just recently, on my way to a gold/galena mine, I had... an accident with a bear. The game was lagging, it was aggressively jumping at me, I couldn't hit it properly because the leaves blocked the view... so I died. Angry with having died so stupidly, I respawned by my base and spent some time smithing a sword and a chestpiece with the little wrought iron I had. After equipping those and heading back to my death point, I tried to lure the bear away from the items. I thought I succeeded, having barely overrun him, and retrieved some of my stuff, but it turned out the other grey spot on the map was also a bear... 

So yeah, I rage quit again. Did anyone else here had similar problems with bears? I've always thought TFC bears are slow and not very clever, but these two seem like the Bonnie and Clyde of the stone age :D Very sneaky, hiding in the leaves, and fast too, like I said, I only barely (bear-ly :) ) escaped that first bear. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe I should stick to a different tactics? I had a mix-match of copper, bronze and wrought iron armour (maybe bismuth bronze too, can't remember now), tried to fight with a black bronze mace and a freshly-made wrought iron sword.

(by the way, the first "accident" happened just before Etho released his video with a similar situation. Little did I know back then about how similar our fates would turn out to be)

The right to bear arms is something that TFC takes very seriously. Unfortunately, those arms are so long that it becomes a grizzly affair very quickly. What you need to do is change your fighting style to the polar opposite of what it is now, instead of sword and board you should look into getting a bow and arrow.

Hmmm. I heard people liking the TFC bow as a weapon, but I never got used to it myself because it takes very long to draw. Perhaps I should change my opinion and take the bow and quiver out of the dusty chest. I have no idea how to shoot a bear in a dense forest, though, maybe lure it to the seashore and then run away.

It would be hard to set up. Though it sounds amazing. The first thing that pops in mind is a 2x2 deep hole to lure the bear in (maybe with a tasty pig inside?). But that's after retrieving the gear, traps are usually time-consuming.

I avoid bears as a rule.  They seem like they got a buff at some point, and are super-dangerous.  From watching some LPs, though, water seems to nullify their speed/jump advantage though.   Still very dangerous.

If you don't have nearby water, I'd suggest (having never tried this before) maybe getting near, clearing an area of trees, Digging a bunch of 2x2x2 pits with 1-wide walkways between.  Like maybe a 4x4 grid of such pits.  Try to lure the bear in amongst the pits, and then shoot him, hoping to knock him into one.  Don't fall in yourself or you're toast.    Even then though, they can jump and hit you from within the pit.  You'll want to tower up nearby and arrow him from above, outside melee range.  Or, with a bit of extra constructing, you could probably enclose and suffocate him.   If you don't need the hide though, maybe just leave him in the pit to despawn.

I avoid them too, but this pair was extra sneaky. I do have water nearby, both a saltwater gulf and a little fresh water pond. Might come in handy. It's February, though, so little pieces of ice might make it a bit more difficult.

Several pits are time-consuming, and the danger of falling in is high. Though I'm also thinking of bringing my horse with, and he can sure jump two blocks high. I might try to do this.

In fact, if I do manage to trap both bears in, I will not kill them but rather familiarize them.  :P Perfect revenge, in my opinion. I've always wanted to tame a bear in TFC, and this is a perfect opportunity. Trap them in, catch some fish in the sea, feed them regularly. You can get them to the point when they won't attack you at all, right?

I don't know a bear's piercing resistance, but considering the just about quad-digit base damage when fully drawn and that it costs practically nothing to make, a bow should be definitely be on your shortlist. At worst, it'll mean you'll enter combat with a bear that's already lost a good chunk of health; at best, it'll be dead before reaching you.

The bow also trivializes most other combat in the mod, so if you're not big on the whole fighting thing, let it work for you. Endermen will tele-dodge projectiles, and Skeletons are immune to piercing damage, but everything else? Well, let me put it like this: the only two mobs that don't die in a single shot are spiders and bears. And a second arrow should generally take care of those, too. (Though I've not tango'ed with the newest bear variant yet.)

Edited by Omicron

Lure them to the water's edge and get in, you'll be more maneuverable and able to confuse the bear's AI.  Much easier to handle them.

I use a tree stand, just like real life.   I build a 4 high log pole with ladders near water.  I lure them into the water, then use my speed advantage in water to get to and climb the pole. 10-15 stone javelins or half a dozen arrows does the job.  Make sure it's at least 3-4 blocks high.  They can hit a player standing on two blocks.  

It might take a couple tries, but it works.

Edited by WillOfStone

You can get them to the point when they won't attack you at all, right?

Yes, but it's going to take a very very long time, and a lot of fish. A tamed bear will also stop targeting sheep, pigs, deer, and horses; which are the animals they will normally kill when encountering them in the wild.

You can get the exact same result by just turning the game to peaceful mode. The bears will still spawn, but they won't be aggressive.

Also:

TFC 0.79.26 Changelog

• Bears are now 10 times as likely to attack a nearby player, and move twice as fast.

So many people were complaining about the bears being "slow and not very clever" that I buffed them to the point where it is possible to run away from them, but very hard to do so. :)

Bears in general are a bit misunderstood actually. Most are sort of peaceful and prefer flight over fight when encountering humans (though there's no question they would attack you back if you decided to wrestle one). There's this Norwegian survivalist called Lars Monsen who has had something like 100+ bear encounters over the course of his life, in Scandinavia as well as the Canadian wildernis. He always manages to scare the curious ones away and some of these encounters were filmed. He only had trouble with a polar bear who he killed after it tried to attack him while he was sleeping and a grizzly in Canada, who kept tracking him and wouldn't be shooed away until he heard a gunshot. Both subgenus are pretty known to be aggressive toward humans. Either way, Lars has a pretty strict policy never killing them.

Edited by Tricky

I have met bears on plains only atm. Bow is the best. It takes about 3 full-drawn shots to kill a bear. They are weak to piercing damage.

Sometimes when they get a shot, they stop their charge, this may slightly help in the forest - when hear a bear, walk with drawn bow, shoot and run away.

Also cutting the blocking trees may help.

Hi-tier knife could probably help, but I don't know if color steel knife is better than sword against bears - sword has higher base damage, but knife is piercing.

Anyway with melee fight bear will win.

This last mentioned update of their speed and hostility is awesome. Formerly when I met bears, there was the boring problem to kill all 60+ of them. I couldn't just leave their precious hides, had to get them all, but they were peaceful like cows. Now even with bow and on plains it is a thrilling gamble.

Edited by heptagon_ru

I loved the change, it gives players a reason to wear armor, as even a leather armor will give you a great advantage when fighting Bears.

Bears in general are a bit misunderstood actually. Most are sort of peaceful and prefer flight over fight when encountering humans (though there's no question they would attack you back if you decided to wrestle one).

TFC has brown bears, which Grizzlies and Kodiak bears are a variety. Basically if you encounter one you hope it isn't hungry. They are fast, smart and aggressive. You always fight back against a brown bear and try to make them decide you are worth the effort.

Polar bears, you just don't want to meet one where it can reach you. You would be lucky to scare them off.

Black bears are the ones who aren't very aggressive. They only attack if they feel cornered. This is why you use bear bells while hiking, so you don't sneak up to them. Even then they will tend to false charge or try and knock you down so that they can run away. They are the ones you try and make yourself as big as possible with and scare them off. Of course if they are garbage bears or have been fed by humans they will be unpredictable.

So the TFC bears are now a nice balance of real brown bears and gameplay. Kitty was nice enough to let players out run a bear. In real life you would not be able to. An impressive sight is a brown bear sprinting up a mountain side.

You see, Forest...

If you javelin like peestol, you will never shoot the inaccurate for fear of throw up into sky and hit head.

Yuo must into callings upon snake god in sky, and yuo shall of unlockings the secret powers of North...

The Fourth Eye... Of The Slav!

Why fourth? Because you of seeing double things because of drinkink t2oo much Vodka.

Echoing the chorus of "use a bow" and "get in the water". If I can, I snipe it from a distance or give it a really wide berth. If I can't, I flee at top sprint-jumpy speed and hope to either get far enough away to make it lose interest or lure it into water, where I can either get away or safely snipe it while it flounders. If I don't have a bow yet, bears are on the Do Not Approach Under Any Circumstances list until I do.